Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
557 replies to this topic

#161 of 558 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 05:08 AM

I enjoyed last night's episode. The show obviously has some roots in the action shows of the 70s, with their caper of the week stories, but also has its own mythology shaping up. Here's hoping the show continues to find the right balance between the two.

• Ockeghem likes this

#162 of 558 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 22 2013 - 05:44 PM

First episode that completely worked for me. An opposition agency. Fun wisecracks "damnit, they gave him a name." And some great back and forth. This is (IMHO) the best this show has been, hopefully it has found solid footing

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#163 of 558 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,578 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 22 2013 - 06:44 PM

At least all the irritation about the mole among them is now over. The show can take this strong episode and move forward from there.

#164 of 558 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,828 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 07:10 PM

We're now supposed to be led further down the season in the big season-arc question, "WHO is behind 'Centipede'?"

While the more pertinent question would be "If Avengers-movie fans are meant to be watching the show, who didn't already have it pretty much called twenty minutes into the pilot episode?"  :rolleyes:

Edited by Ejanss, October 22 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#165 of 558 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 07:14 PM

We're now supposed to be led further down the season in the big season-arc question, "WHO is behind 'Centipede'?"

While the more pertinent question would be "If Avengers-movie fans are meant to be watching the show, who didn't already have it pretty much called twenty minutes into the pilot episode?"  :rolleyes:

Called what?  I enjoyed Avengers but I guess I have no idea where the Centipede plot line is going.. then again, I don't read comics, so I have no connective material.. should it be that obvious?

• David Weicker likes this

trakt.tv

#166 of 558 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,732 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 07:27 PM

The show has definitely been getting better with each episode. I thought last week's was quite good and tonight's was the best yet. Seems like its finding its footing.

I certainly think it is cool that further development of Extremis is an ongoing arc of the show.
  • Ockeghem likes this
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#167 of 558 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,418 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 08:21 AM

I have very little backstory on any of the characters or concepts, so I'm coming into this series new.  I thought last night's episode was the best thus far.  I liked learning more about Rising Tide, and I'm pleased that Skye's hand was forced to the extent that it was with regard to her allegiances.

#168 of 558 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 23 2013 - 10:11 AM

If this is the show finding its footing, it's probably time for me to step off.  When Skye said nothing would stop her from digging, she should have been dropped down a dark hole.  I just don't hold the same admiration for hacktivists that the show does. Also, why did the Scorched doctor have to look exactly like Fitz (or Simmons)?  That was confusing for a second. 

#169 of 558 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 10:18 AM

If this is the show finding its footing, it's probably time for me to step off.  When Skye said nothing would stop her from digging, she should have been dropped down a dark hole.  I just don't hold the same admiration for hacktivists that the show does. Also, why did the Scorched doctor have to look exactly like Fitz (or Simmons)?  That was confusing for a second. 

Yeah.   Whedon and others have made their feelings on Hacktivism pretty well known, they've spoken about how they feel about Aaron Swartz, etc. so I wasn't surprised to see that brought up; in the movie Avengers, Tony Stark hacked SHIELD in order to show they weren't all nice and were developing weapons technologies.

I think if that element of the public interest piercing the veil bothers you, I seriously doubt this show is going to move in any direction to make it less so.

trakt.tv

#170 of 558 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm enjoying the show, it is not must see but I have a lot of DVR space so I'll save and watch a couple of episodes at a time.

I'm a little concerned that it keeps dropping in the key demo ratings but hopefully it will stop declining and find a solid fan base.

#171 of 558 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,384 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 23 2013 - 05:31 PM

On the flip side, the episode also showed negative consequences of that hacktivist mentality.

• Ockeghem likes this

#172 of 558 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 24 2013 - 07:15 AM

Scorch's Cantonese was just awful. The exchange between him and May was the most humorous.

May: [There's no going back!]

Scorch: [I don't plan to change the topic!]

Well, actually, you just did change the topic because you botched the pronunciation, dude! :lol:

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#173 of 558 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 24 2013 - 09:45 AM

Chloe Bennet (née Wang) in her previous incarnation as Asian pop star.

#174 of 558 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 04:11 PM

Cameron, thanks for sharing. I would never have known her father was Chinese. In some pictures you can see it and others not so much.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#175 of 558 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 24 2013 - 05:25 PM

I had no idea either until whedonesque posted it. I thought she was part Latino. :-D

#176 of 558 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 06:11 AM

I'm kind of surprised that you guys liked this past episode. I thought Eye See You was actually good but Scorch (or whatever they titled it) was a huge step back. I cringed so much. Maybe the girl in the bra and panties Jedi Mind Tricked you into thinking it was good?

So was the Scorch actor Mandarin speaking or was that almost incomprehensible accent fake as well? I remember growing up and listening to Japanese-American actors being cast as villagers or whatnot mangling the Korean dialog all the time, so I get you, Cameron.

I can't remember the last time I gave this much rope to a new show. I really, really want to like it. It's crushingly disappointing. 

Edited by Hanson, October 25 2013 - 06:12 AM.

#177 of 558 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 25 2013 - 06:34 AM

My wife suspected he was a native Japanese speaker. A native Mandarin speaker would have a different accent than what we heard when he was speaking both English and Cantonese.

But based on his Wikipedia article he's an American of Japanese and Taiwanese descent, born in New York. So he might have been creating the English accent for the role.

#178 of 558 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,544 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 06:52 AM

I looked up the cast after the series premiere and was surprised about Chloe too. In some shots she does not look Asian, and in others she does.

Which is funny because I thought it was either on purpose or a coincidence an earlier poster compared her to Kristen Kruek whose also half Chinese.

I thought both Ming Na and the Scorch actor's Cantonese sounded unnaturally spoken. Probably just due to having to learn it, or out of practice. I don't know if Ming Na knows Chinese or not.

#179 of 558 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 07:13 AM

Which is funny because I thought it was either on purpose or a coincidence an earlier poster compared her to Kristen Kruek whose also half Chinese.

It was on purpose because of the coincidence. Plus, they are both terrible actors. Only tangentially related -- Dean Cain is half Japanese. 

Edited by Hanson, October 25 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#180 of 558 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 25 2013 - 07:26 AM

I thought both Ming Na and the Scorch actor's Cantonese sounded unnaturally spoken. Probably just due to having to learn it, or out of practice. I don't know if Ming Na knows Chinese or not.

Ming Na does know Cantonese, but – like me – bears the marks of being an ABC (American Born Chinese) or someone who came over to the US when very young. Her Canto was way better than Louis Ozawa Changchien's; she at least showed some base understanding of the pronunciation and tone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users