Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help Pioneer SC-62 vs SC-65

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   jwd12

jwd12

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 03:40 PM

I need some help or perhaps just some common sense. I am in the process of upgrading my A/V system. Have ordered the Panasonic VT-50, and have received an Oppo BDP 93 universal player. I am seriously considering the SC-61, but perhaps I should get the more expensive ($500.) SC-65. Most of the use of my system is TV or DVD watching or streaming video. I listen to music but usually just as background. The important difference between the two (for me) is the ability to pass 4k. Is this worth $500 at this point in time?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 14,461 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 26 2012 - 04:32 PM

For the foreseeable future...4k is a marketing gimmick.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   jwd12

jwd12

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 02:07 AM

Understand broadcast will not happened in my lifetime. An improved player is possible, but up-scaling blu ray is possible (t think). My current receiver is about 10 years old and the new one could last that long.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 28 2012 - 03:07 AM

The OPPO 93 has two hdmi outputs. If 4K ever does become a reality then run the OPPO straight to the display for video. Look at the Product Sheet for each Elite receiver on Pioneers website (listed under Manuals and Brochures). The items in bold are up-grades over the next lower receiver. The 65 looks like it has a bit of a stronger amp section but I doubt it would be noticable. It's also 9.2 vs. 7.2 and has 192/32k DACs vs. 192/24k DACs in the 61. BTW, I had an SC-27 a while back and a vsx-23 (still have it) at the same time and for my situation the 23 was just as good as the 27. Keep in mind, most people buy way more receiver than they actually need. I've done it myself.....several times :blush: .
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   jwd12

jwd12

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 02:34 AM

Thanks, you have helped me. The product sheets were invaluable, and new to me. At my age the audio differences between the two would not be discernible, and the differences in wattage would not make any difference in my small room. SC-62 it is. Thanks for your insight.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 29 2012 - 05:28 AM

Most brands have a product or spec sheet although I can't seem to find something similar for Yamaha receivers. I find them very usefull even if they don't all show the up-grades over the other models like Pioneer does. The biggest differences between receivers in the same general price range is how easy they are to setup and operate more than how powerfull they are or how they sound (even though I'm one of the few who feels there is a slight difference in sound quality between some receiver brands it isn't enough to fret over). And how attractive they are seems to be more important to me than it should be :blush: . I've always like the appearance of Pioneer Elites although the new models with their brushed aluminum front isn't quite as good looking as the previous models.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.