What's new
World Wide Stereo

Marantz Av7005 AND mm7055 amp VS Rotel RSP-1572 AV Processor with RMB-1575 (1 Viewer)

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
Hey guys, I have not posted in a while, but now is the time. I am looking to upgrade my arcam avr300 to one of these new setups. The new features on these new amps and processers are pretty cool, and I think it's time to upgrade. I will more than likely keep my acoustic zen speakers.
I love good sound, this is most important, along with video, and features. I like the fact that the Marantz can make the mp3's sound better. I would like more info on how they and others do this, but this is a great new feature that my current arcam doesn't have. What do you guys think as far as "which one is best"?
Please also toss others into the ring as well as why you think something may work just as good. I also do not have to have a pre-pro. An all in one would be great, but not sure it will be as good. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance...

728x90

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I recommend the Anthem mrx receiver line due to its exceptional room correction system ARC. You could use the mrx 300 (smallest) as a prepro together with external amp, or try the mrx 700 with much stronger internal amplification which will suffice under almost all normal circumstances. I combined the mrx300 with Acurus 3 channel amp for the front and center, and use the internal amps for surrounds. Before I had Rotel RSP1066. The improvement is staggering.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
Hartwig Hanser said:
I recommend the Anthem mrx receiver line due to its exceptional room correction system ARC. You could use the mrx 300 (smallest) as a prepro together with external amp, or try the mrx 700 with much stronger internal amplification which will suffice under almost all normal circumstances. I combined the mrx300 with Acurus 3 channel amp for the front and center, and use the internal amps for surrounds. Before I had Rotel RSP1066. The improvement is staggering.
I have heard good things about the anthem systems and almost bought one a while back. Does it have the ability to make mp3's sound better like the M-DAX on the Marantz? I am collecting lossless music, but still have a much larger collection of mp3's at the moment. How is it's video processing?
I am also looking at this amp http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa5
The amp looks like a screaming deal, and I am trying to find reviews of it now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could buy another pre-pro(or two for a tryout) and run it into the DVD-A in on the Arcam...
Effectively using the AVR300 as an amp. 100x7 all channels driven is a pretty stout amp section...
Although, if you are in the states...and are wanting to sell it...(I have a room with an older SD TV with component video, why it has them without even being progressive, I have no idea...but it would be a killer audio set-up for SACD/DVD-A)

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
That could work, but I am in the states. I think the specs on mine are 120wpc if I am not mistaken.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Just to get back to the original question, don't forget that the Marantz pre/pro includes room equalization (Audyssey MultEQ XT) while Rotel and Arcam do not. In most cases, EQ can make a significant improvement in the accuracy of the sound you hear.
My understanding is that Anthem's ARC equalization (to be distinguished from Audio Return Channel) is comparable to Audyssey, although different in exactly what it does. Depending on your schedule, the AV7007 is supposed to be available later this year. Apparently it will have the same level of EQ software as the AV7005, though, and not the better XT32 version. The availability of the new model does imply that you should be able to get an AV7005 for a substantial discount while supplies last.
Other pre/pros with room EQ include models by Onkyo/Integra and NAD. And Anthem or McIntosh, if you want to spend that much ;). An advantage with going with separates is that once you have a set of amps appropriate for your speakers, you don't have to worry about upgrading that part of the system again -- you just replace the pre/pro to add features and not power. There's no monetary saving, though when compared to using a receiver.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
Selden Ball said:
Just to get back to the original question, don't forget that the Marantz pre/pro includes room equalization (Audyssey MultEQ XT) while Rotel and Arcam do not. In most cases, EQ can make a significant improvement in the accuracy of the sound you hear.
My understanding is that Anthem's ARC equalization (to be distinguished from Audio Return Channel) is comparable to Audyssey, although different in exactly what it does. Depending on your schedule, the AV7007 is supposed to be available later this year. Apparently it will have the same level of EQ software as the AV7005, though, and not the better XT32 version. The availability of the new model does imply that you should be able to get an AV7005 for a substantial discount while supplies last.
Other pre/pros with room EQ include models by Onkyo/Integra and NAD. And Anthem or McIntosh, if you want to spend that much ;). An advantage with going with separates is that once you have a set of amps appropriate for your speakers, you don't have to worry about upgrading that part of the system again -- you just replace the pre/pro to add features and not power. There's no monetary saving, though when compared to using a receiver.
My room is a bit odd, so I don't know if it would matter much. I'm sure it would. Do they make an arcam that does have this feature for room correction?
Also I was wondering, I have a line though a friend to maybe get a Arcam FMJ P7 amp. Is this amp $1000 better than a Emotiva XPA-5? One of the things I have is a lot of mp3s on a computer I built for the TV. Playing them right now on the current arcam, doesn't sound good, but when I play lossless music files from the same computer, it's soooo much better. Does the Arcam up convert mp3 files like the Marantz and others? Also does any new arcam have a DVI connection? I have an older 65 inch Mits diamond TV that I just had calibrated and I want to keep it for a while and get my money's worth out of it. It has a DVI connection that I tap into from the computer, but if an amp had one, I could do the switching from the amp I think. Thoughts? Thanks again for all the responses guys.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't need DVI* connections because of this...
http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343188816&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+dvi (I have like 3 of them laying around the house. Two of them still in shrink wrap)
Arcam has its own version of room correction(simply called "Room EQ") just like Pioneer(MCACC), Yamaha(YPAO) and HK(EZSet) all have their own.
*essentially...
HDMI-audio=DVI
The only issue you might have is if the DVI is "just DVI" and not DVI-D. If it is not DVI-D(which I don't think Mits, thankfully, ever bothered using DVI without connecting it along with the "D")
Basically...the "issue" (thank you Sony...) is DVI is not HDCP compliant. DVI-D is.
If your display is DVI only, that means it isn't HDCP compliant...which means BD won't display to it.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
schan1269 said:
You don't need DVI* connections because of this...
http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343188816&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+dvi (I have like 3 of them laying around the house. Two of them still in shrink wrap)
Arcam has its own version of room correction(simply called "Room EQ") just like Pioneer(MCACC), Yamaha(YPAO) and HK(EZSet) all have their own.
*essentially...
HDMI-audio=DVI
The only issue you might have is if the DVI is "just DVI" and not DVI-D. If it is not DVI-D(which I don't think Mits, thankfully, ever bothered using DVI without connecting it along with the "D")
Basically...the "issue" (thank you Sony...) is DVI is not HDCP compliant. DVI-D is.
If your display is DVI only, that means it isn't HDCP compliant...which means BD won't display to it.
Hey Sam, sorry that I sound confused with most of what you said on the HDCP compliant stuff. I'm not an expert at this. How can I check if the TV is DVI-D? It's the w65-813 and the DVI says on the back of the TV. DVI-HD multi link.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
The cable would work, that's perfect. I use the DVI to connect my computer to it, and have my HD movies on there and they play via the DVI link to the computer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDCP is High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection...
IE, it is also what "allows" HDMI handshake...
So, you have an HDMI computer and you go to play a BD(or any form of 1080P content) and the computer goes...
"Hi, I'm a PC of "X" brand, who might you be?"
"Hi there, I'm a Mitsubishi, glad to make your acquaintance."
Once that is done, the PC can send 1080P to the display. If the Display can't do that...the 1080P won't leave the PC. Yes, there are programs to get around that...

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Mike Bassi said:
I have heard good things about the anthem systems and almost bought one a while back. Does it have the ability to make mp3's sound better like the M-DAX on the Marantz? I am collecting lossless music, but still have a much larger collection of mp3's at the moment. How is it's video processing?
I am also looking at this amp http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa5
The amp looks like a screaming deal, and I am trying to find reviews of it now.
The Anthem mrx does not have any special mp3 treatment that I am aware of. On the other hand mp3 may still sound better due to other factors. Video processing is described by reviews as adequate; I do not use it (Oppo 93 upscales DVD)

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Selden Ball said:
Re EQ: I can only report that almost everyone who compared Audyssey and ARC preferred the latter, especially for music. It is rather more comparable to Audyssey Pro, since the calculations are performed one a computer, not inside the receiver, and you can tweak much more to your preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks