Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So what do you think of the setup I am looking into?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   ericb618

ericb618

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 16 2012 - 07:17 AM

I am getting ready to build my first home theater setup. I am not looking to spend the same money recording studios use, just something better than an out of the box system. So this is what I came up with. Any thoughts or suggestions??? Here is what I am going to start with: Yamaha Rx-V673 7.1 for the receiver then 2 B&W 684B for the fronts Then a few months down the road: B&W center channel speaker CMCCGB Definitive Technology super cube sub, or something else And about a year down the road B&W bookshelf speakers for the rear 686B I have not pulled the trigger yet, still in the research phase.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 14,245 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 16 2012 - 07:49 AM

The only thing I'd do is compare the RX-A720 as well. Yes, they overlap, but the A does some things better...while losing a feature or two you might want...which getting the 820 would somewhat give you back. As far as that goes...so far the RX-A are holding their "used" values better in case you decide to upgrade later.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted July 16 2012 - 12:48 PM

Love the B&W.  Make sure you listen to them for some time with some of your own movies and music before you make the final decision.

Take a look at SVS for the sub - don't over spend on the speakers and neglect the sub.  It is very important part of the system.