What's new

The Way Ahead, to do or not to do on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

bcurly9

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Blair
What is your opinion as to whether or not VCI Entertainment should produce a blu-ray edition of The Way Ahead. Please let us know your
pros and cons.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Don welcome to HTF.
Are you employed at VCI? As Schuyler asked already why not?
I never heard of it and may not even buy it but why keep it from those who would

bcurly9

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Blair
Stephen_J_H,
Hello.
The elements being used for The Way Ahead were from a 35mm print transferred HD by ITV and provided to VCI on digital HD.

bcurly9

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Blair
The primary reason that most independents have not gone deeper into blu-ray production is the lack of retail space to present their product. It is also still an expensive venture to produce catelog BD product to compete with the major studio pricing. The Wal-Marts of the world demand very low pricing which I'm sure you have seen. I just purchased several Warner BD discs for under $6.00 at Wal-Mart. We're constantly re-addressing
our strategy for BD but need to know that at the internet level of availability our product will have the visibility to sell enough units. Thus far we have not experienced decent sales except for a few evergreen titles.

bcurly9

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Blair
We want to release it on BD. It's such a wonderful film and has not been seen in the quality or the length that we will be releasing it. It's a hard decision that we simply need more evidence of consumer demand.

bcurly9

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Blair
Hello TonyD,
Yes. My brothers, Sister and I are from the founding family and VCI is our passion.
We don't honestly want to keep this from anyone who would buy it on BD. We just haven't seen the support for our catalog on BD. A lot of that may simply be that it is nearly impossible to displace enough
space from the major studios at the retail level to give them a chance. Internet is where we have a home and most of our sales are derived. It simply takes a lot longer to recoup your investment from Internet sales. We are continuing to make strides in our products representation into the consumer market and believe that this year will be a strong break out year for VCI. We are just being cautious and trying to build our visibility.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The trouble is that since the days when they were Granada Ventures, ITV Global have been ploughing through their extensive catalogue, creating HD masters and they have shed loads at their disposal, yet they seem loath to commit to Blu-ray themselves for all but a handful of titles. Fans can only depend on licensing deals from the likes of VCI (and Criterion, and, in the UK, Network - there are titles available in Germany and France too) but they need us to buy them. Obviously.
I have Hot Enough For June and it's a beautiful job, both Genevieve and Campbell's Kingdom are somewhere over the Atlantic, and I'm looking forward to North West Frontier; ironic isn't it that British film fans have to look to the US to feed their obsession?
Short answer to VCI; you put 'em out, I'll buy.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Way Ahead is one of the great British films. It merits a BD release. It was treated poorly in its US release, and it is a movie that deserves respect.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
If the transfer is up to snuff go for it. I'll pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks