Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Dial M For Murder (3D Blu-ray) and Strangers On A Train (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#21 of 194 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 03:53 AM

YES! I've been aware of this project since September, 2011. You don't know how difficult it's been keeping quiet about it! The success of this release will be the impetus for more Golden Age titles from the vaults. I plan to buy three; one for each dimension. http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#22 of 194 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:00 AM

Does anyone know what the aspect ratio for Dial M is going to be?

#23 of 194 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,284 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by mikeyhitchfan 

I really only care about the spine artwork as that's all I see most of the time. Same with the disc label..I like a cool design but it's no deal breaker either way.

Sorry I mistyped ... I meant they deserved digibook releases w/ better cover art. Just wish WB took more pride in their cover art as of late.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#24 of 194 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,530 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:06 AM

W00t! The first 3D title that really excites me!

#25 of 194 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:08 AM

I provided 1.85:1 documentation to Warner Bros. back in September 2011.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#26 of 194 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 477 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:13 AM

I provided 1.85:1 documentation to Warner Bros. back in September 2011.

I hope they listened, because the full frame version was really only good for old 1.33 TV. Too much dead space above the heads.

#27 of 194 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:34 AM

Did not expect to see Strangers on a Train too. Happy to see it released. Dial M for Murder was telegraphed well ahead of time, but its still pleasing to get a locked release date. Very interesting to see how WB is marketing these. Dial M for Murder is given a striking horror/slasher sort of cover art and aesthetics, while Strangers on a Train is being portrayed as a spicy noir. While not exactly honest portrayals of either film, at least some effort went into the cover art on these, unlike the super-generic Little Shop of Horrors cover. Question about Strangers on a Train--are both cuts (preview & theatrical) on the disc? I can't find mention of it in the press release.

#28 of 194 OFFLINE   adklz

adklz

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:35 AM

I'm a big Hitchcock fan, but I place "Dial M for Murder" pretty low on my list of favorites. I haven't seen it since a showing a couple of decades ago at the Coolidge Corner in Brookline, Ma. so maybe a re-viewing is in order. However, I consider the scene of the attempted murder to be the single most dramatically effective use of 3-D I've seen. If you've seen it you already know what I'm talking about and if you haven't you're in for a treat.

#29 of 194 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:47 AM

Exactly! I was waiting for the classics in 3-D. I saw this and House of Wax c. 1983 on rereleases to theaters....they blew all other 3D movies of the early 80s outta the water. Maybe we will finally see Andy Warhol's Frankenstein as it was originally intended. The TRUE forebearer of the 70s/80s 3D flix

#30 of 194 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 921 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:53 AM

Hate to bring this up, but will there be a 3D anaglyph version of DIAL M as well as the proper 3D format? I have zero plans to buy a new tv just for 3D, especially as every time I've checked out a 3D display I was absolutely not impressed (either didn't work at all or didn't look good).

#31 of 194 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,627 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:03 AM

Hate to bring this up, but will there be a 3D anaglyph version of DIAL M as well as the proper 3D format? I have zero plans to buy a new tv just for 3D, especially as every time I've checked out a 3D display I was absolutely not impressed (either didn't work at all or didn't look good).

The PR above makes no mention of including an anaglyph version.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#32 of 194 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,804 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:04 AM

This really is the year for Hitchcock Blu-rays.  My wallet is already pleading for mercy just thinking about the fall Hitchcock releases.  I have not moved to 3D yet, but this news is certainly a push in the right direction; just as HOW THE WEST WAS WON moved me to Blu-ray.  I will purchase the DIAL M FOR MURDER 3D since it also includes a 2D version and I will hold on to the 3D version until the time comes for my change over.

I applaud Warner Bros for digging in their vault for a valued classic 3D title and they prove again that they are the leader in working their classic titles to their fullest.  To bad Paramount missed the boat with a HONDO 3D release.  And oh yes, THE HOUSE OF WAX 3D will push me over to convert.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#33 of 194 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,477 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:05 AM

I have been waiting for this announcement for what seems like DECADES! Couldn't be happier, and can't wait to have both releases.

#34 of 194 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:06 AM

No disrespect meant Ben, but I sure hope not! We've tried for the past 20 years to dispell the myth about 3-D movies of the Golden Age being shown anaglyph in the 1950's. To release it that way on Blu-ray would be a HUGE mistake. If you'd like more Myth-busting - including the one about DIAL M not playing anywhere in 3-D until the 1980's - please check out this page on our website: http://www.3dfilmarc...op-10-3-d-myths Ironic that the film which effectively put an end to 3-D production in 1954 would be the first one on 3-D Blu-ray. Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#35 of 194 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,283 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:06 AM

Hate to bring this up, but will there be a 3D anaglyph version of DIAL M as well as the proper 3D format? 

Hey Ben!

I would just about guarantee no anaglyph version.

I own dozens upon dozens of 3D titles and none of them
have ever come with anaglyph glasses.  What gets released

on 3D these days is intended for the new displays.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#36 of 194 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 921 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:43 AM

No disrespect meant Ben, but I sure hope not! We've tried for the past 20 years to dispell the myth about 3-D movies of the Golden Age being shown anaglyph in the 1950's. To release it that way on Blu-ray would be a HUGE mistake. If you'd like more Myth-busting - including the one about DIAL M not playing anywhere in 3-D until the 1980's - please check out this page on our website: http://www.3dfilmarc...op-10-3-d-myths Ironic that the film which effectively put an end to 3-D production in 1954 would be the first one on 3-D Blu-ray. Bob

Haha, none taken! That's why I initially wrote that I hated to bring this up. Guess I'll get the combo just in case things change in a some years for me. Like I said, I haven't been impressed by what I've seen of home 3D so far unfortunately. If someone can figure out a way to affordably retrofit my current HDTV for effective 3D, that'll be different perhaps. Of course, if Universal releases their CREATURE movies in 3D, as well as THE MASK and the "Warhol" horrors, I might change my mind faster! ;)

#37 of 194 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:44 AM

If you'd like more Myth-busting -

(Jamie Hyneman) Well...we can TRY it, I don't think it's gonna work... :cool: And not to complain (hardly! :D ), but weren't we also supposed to get Warner's 3D Bugs Bunny "Lumber Jack-Rabbit" as a bonus on the landmark first one, to keep that 1954 vibe going? Or is Warner saving that for their eternal House of Wax promises? (And if so, what happens to the Popeye short?)

#38 of 194 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 06:04 AM

Same here. I upgraded to a 3D TV primarily in the hope of having releases like this. This is awesome news. Looking forward to the Blu of Strangers as well. I agree that the cover art is horrible. I think I can tell that's Ruth Roman's mouth on the cover; but really, it could be two models. I hope there will be some good cover art to download like there was for the three MGM Hitchcock's released earlier this year.

#39 of 194 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,236 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 22 2012 - 06:10 AM

CANNOT WAIT to try out "Dial "M" For Murder" on my Panasonic 50" 3D plasma screen...WHOO-HOOO!!! And "Strangers On A Train" the same day?!? I'm practically creaming in my pants!!!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#40 of 194 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 22 2012 - 06:23 AM

Excellent news for both.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users