Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2012 Panasonic Plasma discussion and owners thread GT, ST, VT

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 20 2012 - 02:45 PM

So, many of you saw my pain getting a defective 65" VT50, Panny's flagship for 2012: http://www.hometheat...-65-vt30-series Well, Panny still haven't returned my cash (!!!!!!) but I went and bought another at Amazon, it got here today and I made sure this one was perfect before letting the driver leave, he insisted I do so which was good. It is BEAUTIFUL straight out of the box, not a single thing changed, no calibration, no custom color. I can't believe that it is going to get even better than this. I looked around and discovered I didn't have a single 3d Bluray so ran to Target quick before they closed and got the only thing I could, Ghost Rider 2, expecting it would suck. Holy crap it BLEW ME AWAY. The 3d is STUNNING and we have only watched the first hour or so but the story isn't as bad as we feared. That and Sherlock 2 in 2D was a good first night with my new set! Soon: Calibration!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 02:48 PM

Nice to hear I have the VT25 and it has been the best TV I have ever owned. You have me curious about Ghost Rider 2.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Joe Wong

Joe Wong

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 10:43 AM

We recently got the GT50 but I haven't had a chance to try the 3D yet...picture and sound out of the box is very nice, with even my "don't care" wife remarking on the picture and sound (yes, sound from the TV!) improvements over the 5 year old Samsung DLP it replaced... Anyone using the PS3 for 3D playback? I will most likely get an OPPO BDP 93 or 95 later on but was wondering how the PS3 was given some of the "limitations" from 6 year old hardware...don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a technical marvel, but I believe it has HDMI 1.3 (as 1.4 wasn't even released yet) and hence may not be able to produce full HD 3D... Joe
Movie reviews and discussion...Joe's Movie Mutterings

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 01:57 PM

I am using the PS3 for BD playback and my STB has ESPN 3d. I think I overdid it on my first 3D Bluray buy: Posted Image

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 29 2012 - 02:30 PM

Well, Panny still haven't returned my cash (!!!!!!) but I went and bought another at Amazon, it got here today and I made sure this one was perfect before letting the driver leave, he insisted I do so which was good. It is BEAUTIFUL straight out of the box, not a single thing changed, no calibration, no custom color.

2 things 1) Congrats and it sounds like a dream 2) I can't remember if you get alerts for PM's on the new forum or not so -- I just sent you a PM for something you may be able to use. Oh wait -- I meant 3 things 3) I'm so jealous. (Insert a stick my tongue out smiley in your mind since I hate those little things)

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts

Posted July 03 2012 - 03:57 AM

David, thanks for that. They were always out of stock by the time I checked so it doesn't seem I will get any cash back but it was great to have you think of me! I -FINALLY- got credited back for my busted Vt50 from Panasonic this morning, thus ending one of the most frustrating 2 months of my life. Thanks for all your support here.

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted July 11 2012 - 04:26 AM

yeah on the refund!! The Pannys are frkn awesome. I worked on another 65ST50 last evening. Very nice!!

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,367 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 12:57 PM

Sweet ! :D Congrats on the new bluray player
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   BlackOps

BlackOps

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 02:43 PM

I have posted my calibration settings and results in separate thread. They can be found here: Black Ops "Day" GT50 Settings Black Ops "Night" GT50 Settings

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   suckitTrebek

suckitTrebek

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 11:24 PM

I have the 65" vt50. Applied the cnet settings and the picture is sick. Easily the best I've ever seen. That black levels are ridiculous

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 07:24 AM

With the 2013s announced the VT50 is no longer the top of the line. VT50 and a Z model. 2012 prices dropping nicely: http://slickdeals.ne...T220-3D-WiFi-Bl

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   noob5684

noob5684

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 04:52 AM

How do I save the viera link so every time we turn on the tv, We don't have to switch from tv to home theater? Please help us. :confused:

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 08:45 AM

Dont use it sorry

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted March 24 2013 - 04:56 PM

Anyone know where I can the Panasonic 3D glasses that I'm supposed to use with my new P60GT50? The ones in the manual are ER3D4MU. Can't find them anywhere.  Are there any equivalent models that will work for me?

I'm totally new to the 3D stuff.

Thanks

My DVDs

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,178 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 24 2013 - 06:57 PM

Nothing really to contribute, Sam...except major congrats on the new set and getting your refund on the first one. 

I have been enjoying my ST55 since Christmastime.  And I mean really enjoying it.  It is just marvelous. 

I'm not a 3-D guy.  Don't like the idea of watching TV with the glasses.  The 2-D image is plenty beautiful for me. 

EDIT:  Just realized the date of the OP.  D'oh!  Gotta learn how to pay attention to the new layout better!  :biggrin:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:11 AM

As a new owner of a VT50, I have a couple of questions...

1.  Can I use any USB web cam with this TV to use Skype, or does it have to be Panasonic specific?  I want to use USB but do not want to purchase it if it does not work (eg.  Logitech).

2.  I currently have the TV using the HDMI1 input.  My receiver supports ARC and I have it set up for cable.  I noticed that HDMI2 on the TV is apprently used for ARC.  When I first turn on the system using Harmony, selecting anything other than Cable/Sat, it ends up going to Cable/Sat anyway.  This happens only when the system is turned on.  If it is already on, it switches to the inputs like it is supposed to.  Should I be using the ARC HDMI?  I found no documentation explaining when to use it depending on system configuration. 

Any insight is appreciated. 

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,455 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:23 AM

Can't help you on the webcam...but, considering "everything" I've stuck into our Panny USB has worked...I see no reason for a webcam not to. Besides, if it has Skype...and no built in camera, you have to be able to add one...and if Panny made that "Ours specifically", shame on them...anyway.

ARC.

ARC sucks. All it is for is to keep you from having to run a toslink. Is there any audio you need from the set itself back to the AVR?

99% of people give up on ARC once they realize CEC is involved. And Panny(notoriously) is the worst offender when the "other piece" isn't a Panasonic HTiB.

On our Panny, I turned off all the "CEC related" functions. Having any of them on, causes issues.

Edited by schan1269, March 26 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,455 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:34 AM

Oh yeah, here's a Skype thing you can try. My Uncle has an LG(he's on standard cable and we needed a TV we knew had QAM) and Skype.

We connected a Blackberry phone via the USB and used its camera in "camcorder mode" for the Skype. The same thing worked on a Samsung at a clients house. My Panny doesn't have Skype...and have had no reason to try it at any clients with a Panny.

But...try that by connecting a smart phone in camcorder mode to the Panny. If that works...anything will. Provided your smart phone can be used as a camcorder.

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:54 AM

Ah... so the ARC HDMI is to send audio back.  Ok... I don't need that.

I was not aware of CEC... where can one disable that in the menu?  That may be the source of some issues I have.

I ask about the camera since Logitech uses drivers and obviously I cannot install drivers.  I guess I'll take a chance.

Thanks for your help.

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,455 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 09:01 AM

Viera Link is the CEC.

Anything that uses HDMI to "send controls elsewhere" is CEC. Onkyo calls it RIHD.

I've not played around enough to remember what is what in each and every Panny...

There is probably some form of "power control" (like if you turn off the TV, everything else turns off).

Basically anything that gives the TV control over something else...turn it all off.

The only CEC I use on any of my BD or TV is in my living rooom via the Hitachi. I left its "TV power control" on because I got tired of guests being in the house and going to bed(I get lots of weekend guests), figuring out how to turn the TV off...but forgetting to turn off the BD/DVD/Directv...

So, I cured that problem by turning on the Hitachi Power Control(which is exactly what it is called). Sucks when all I want to do is turn the Hitachi off and listen to a disc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users