What's new

2012 Panasonic Plasma discussion and owners thread GT, ST, VT (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Can't help you with either question. Smart apps are un-necessary for me as I have 4 boxes that do them much better than any built into a TV and I control everything at the receiver and send a single stream via HDMI from receiver to panel.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

Panasonic P60GT50
Sony BDP-S570 3D capable bluray player
Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver.

When I tried to play my new Hobbit 3D, i get the message indicated in the attached image. I tried to hook up the HDMI cable direct to the TV from the Sony, and also my normal setup going through the receiver.
IMG_0001.JPG

Any advice would be appreciated. (The TV is brand new, and I'm new to the 3D thing).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only thing I got...

What piece is the newest part...and what did it replace?

Basically, was everything "off" and unplugged from the wall when you took out and put in whatever the new thing is?

In other words...if you "hot swapped"...you need to re-establish handshake.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
The TV is the newest - I always power off when I change cables, but I didn't unplug the bluray player. I'll try unplugging everything and starting again.

Question: Will 3D work if I route the bluray signal through my receiver? I'd rather do that to avoid having to run separate audio from the Sony to the receiver.

Thanks

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Unplugging didn't change anything - still getting the message. Hopefully there is a setting that I'm missing, although I think all 3D settings are default on both devices.

I'm glad I haven't bought glasses yet.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you re-established handshake...maybe someone else can chime in. But 90% of "I don't have a picture" is HDCP/handshake related.

The other 10%, combined is...

Firmware not up to date
Bad HDMI cable
Defective

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Eureka! Turns out, the bluray wasn't working properly. I swapped in my player from the other room, a slightly newer Sony BDP-BX57, and it works perfectly - also, I can run the signal through my receiver.

Life is good.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Yes, but there must be something wrong with the other one. It's OK, as I won't need 3D capability in the other room.

Thanks for your help, though. Much appreciated. It's nice to have someplace like this to ask questions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No problem. Who knows, maybe one of the updates the 570 got "along the way" was interrupted in some way.

Denon had that kind of problem a while back. A LAN/USB update came out. Those that did it LAN were fine. The USB done update bricked the AVR and it had to be shipped in for the "brain freeze"...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One of the biggest "firmware oopsies" I've been part of...

I had connected an Ipad(1) to a computer for an enormous IOS update. What I didn't know, at the time, was Ipad(1) couldn't be charged by a PC based computer.

I connected the Ipad(1) to the Acer laptop with 12% battery. Woops.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
No problem, Sam. Other Sam led me in the right direction.

I turned off the Viera connect in the menu which solved question 2.

As I feared, the TV requires the Panny webcam since the drivers are built into it. Thus, a PC webcam will not work. Sucks too since the camera is around 100 bucks and seems to have mixed reviews as to performace. But kicking back on the couch talking to people via the TV in enticing, to me at least.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Can anyone advise me as to 3D glasses that will work with my GT50? The Panasonic ones seem to be out of production, and the sellers around here (Phoenix area) are largely clueless.

I've seen online ads for a brand called G5 that says they are compatible, but I'd hate to get stuck with some crappy knock-offs.

Thanks again for any help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Those are the same glasses I came up with. Apparently the only hiccup is you have to prep them???(which it even tells you that..you have to sync them to something...)

Edit(for me) is in the bottom row. But I have mystical powers... :ph34r:

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The only prep you need to do is charge them and they charge quick.

When you turn them on, they will sync automatically to the 3D source.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is what I get for half reading it...

On the page for the ER3D4, in the "compatibility box" it shows network download...but for different ones...

And of course, the first review is chiding people for leaving 1 star reviews...cause they bought the wrong glasses...and of course, the consumer is never wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks