Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Your Favorite Ten TV Shows of ALL Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 of 104 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 01:53 PM

Well, I'll tell you this much.  The killer was leaving The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet off the list.  That's absolutely #11 for me and could easily move into my Top 10 at any given moment.  What I'd remove from the list to squeeze that one in is anyone's guess though.  To keep in sync with you, Howie, here are the next 15 for me (again, in no particular order after the Nelsons):

Ozzie & Harriet

The Flintstones

Big Valley

I Love Lucy

The Cosby Show

Route 66

The Munsters

The Wonder Years

Lassie

Hawaii Five-O

Quincy

Rifleman

Road to Avonlea

Little House on the Prairie

Dennis the Menace

I'll tell you what, it really does get harder after my first 11 because there are so many shows that I honestly could put in the #12-25 slot.  I've got a slew more that even now I'm agonizing over not including in the list above.  This list is far more volatile than the Top 10 one is.  I'm leaving out classics like Naked City, The Lone Ranger, The Six Million Dollar Man, Combat, Twilight Zone, Wild Wild West, Wagon Train, and a boatload of others that I dearly love.  Ugh.

Gary "better to stick with the Top 10 now that I think about it" O.  Posted Image

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#22 of 104 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,652 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 03:02 PM

Classic: WKRP IN CINCINNATI THE AVENGERS (British) MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS THE FUGITIVE (original) THE WILD, WILD WEST THE OUTER LIMITS (original) RAWHIDE THE ADDAMS FAMILY (original) THRILLER (Karloff) THE TWILIGHT ZONE (original) Modern: DEXTER DEADWOOD BREAKING BAD LOST THE SIMPSONS (Seasons 1-8) DEAD LIKE ME PUSHING DAISIES MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 BURN NOTICE ROME

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#23 of 104 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 25 2012 - 03:34 PM

THE SIMPSONS (Seasons 1-8)

I guess I should have made that distinction for The Simpsons too. Current episodes of The Simpsons are a pale imitation of what they used to be but that first decade or so was so good that even another decade's worth of episodes that range from average to terrible can't take the shine off the golden years of the series.

#24 of 104 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 03:35 PM

In order 1. Twilight Zone (The original, natch) 2. Battlestar Galactica (remake, re-imagined) 3. The X Files 4. Star Trek TOS 5. I Love Lucy 6. Route 66 7. The Defenders 8. East Side/West Side 9. The Rifleman 10. Ben Casey Came close: Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Crime Story, Twin Peaks
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#25 of 104 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 04:03 PM

OK, here I go 1) Doctor Who 2) Remington Steele 3) Rockford Files Lost 24 Coupling MASH Soap Barney Miller Babylon 5 The top three are locked in. The rest just happen to be the next seven, but there are many, many more that I could swap out. And I didn't even count the short lived, almost not a series, shows like I, Claudius, The Prisoner, Fawlty Towers, or Firefly David

#26 of 104 OFFLINE   PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 04:20 PM

This is a mission impossible task so I'll cheat and keep in sync with Howie and Gary and list 15 instead - more to show as examples of favourites rather than a definitive fave list. TWILIGHT ZONE (Original series) OUTER LIMITS (Original series) STAR TREK (Original series) DR. KILDARE LOST IN SPACE MOD SQUAD ONE STEP BEYOND MR. NOVAK ROUTE 66 SEARCH DR. WHO (1960's -70's) FLINTSTONES ROOM 222 SPACE: 1999 ON THE BUSES

#27 of 104 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 04:36 PM

This is really difficult because tastes change over time but there are a handful of series that have been favorites since the first time I watched them years ago:

Perry Mason

The Dick Van Dyke Show

The Adventures of Superman

The Lone Ranger (too bad a high quality, uncut complete series release probably won't ever happen)

Batman (although S3 doesn't hold up as well now since I can see how cheap this was)

The remaining slots have too many contenders to narrow down at the moment.  The bulk of them are from the 60s/early 70s which, in my opinion, was the high water mark for television writing.

For modern shows, I really like NCIS (Mark Harmon).  I admire the way it portrays our servicemen and women in a positive light and Jethro Gibbs is a hero with integrity and honor.  Kudos also for featuring a age diverse cast; it's great to see almost 80 year old David McCallum steal almost every scene he's in while the much younger McGhee character has intelligence and a strong moral fiber that runs counter to what airs too often anymore.  Even the goth-ish, tattooed Abby is portrayed as a devout church going Catholic and has a strong work ethic.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#28 of 104 OFFLINE   ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 25 2012 - 05:38 PM

Here are my favorites in chronological order: Gunsmoke I Love Lucy Bewitched I Dream of Jeannie Dark Shadows Star Trek (I really can't decide between TOS, TNG, and DS9!) All In The Family The Waltons Dallas Magnum P.I. And now what I would call my future classics: Northern Exposure Will and Grace Gilmore Girls Firefly Supernatural Friday Night Lights Brothers and Sisters Mad Men Justified The Walking Dead

#29 of 104 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 25 2012 - 09:13 PM

This is a mission impossible task so I'll cheat and keep in sync with Howie and Gary and list 15 instead...

Ahhh... but we *cheated* and those lists of "15" are *additions* AKA the next 15 to make a top 25 list! Honestly, I did a quick look over my stuff before posting the next 15 and saw many series I'd want to include. Since I couldn't decide which to remove I just went with what I already had. I keep this list created for just such occasions and will typically go over it before posting in case I've changed my mind since its inception. So far I have not but there are a dozen more that could easily move if I gave it too much thought. If I had to make such a list from scratch it would be a bit different each time although most would still be there.

ON THE BUSES

I'm a *huge* fan of British comedy series and would have more in my top 25 but for the US series that I've loved for decades. I've often considered adding this one to my collection and have it in my "wish list" at several sites to keep an eye on the price. The problem is the "reviews" I've seen are somewhat mixed, it's only available as a full series set, and I've never seen it. That makes it a somewhat expensive blind buy. Convince me I should take the plunge! :)

#30 of 104 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 25 2012 - 09:22 PM

...I'll tell you what, it really does get harder after my first 11 because there are so many shows that I honestly could put in the #12-25 slot.  I've got a slew more that even now I'm agonizing over not including in the list above.  This list is far more volatile than the Top 10 one is.  I'm leaving out classics like Naked City, The Lone Ranger, The Six Million Dollar Man, Combat, Twilight Zone, Wild Wild West, Wagon Train, and a boatload of others that I dearly love.  Ugh. Gary "better to stick with the Top 10 now that I think about it" O.  ;)

I made the mistake of looking at my collection before I posted my "almost made it" list. I quickly saw a half dozen I'd love to include, some of which saw a DVD release after I originally created it, but just couldn't decide what to move down to make the room! I could easily open a few slots by removing shows that have not yet received a DVD release but the thread doesn't make that distinction/exclusion so they stay. This is *always* a tough assignment!

#31 of 104 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 10:33 PM

I just flat out love TV, especially just about anything from the 50's and 60's (I know, that's a shock to absolutely no one here).  I have strong likes from just about every genre imaginable too.  That certainly gives me a wide and deep pool to draw from.  Other than The Fugitive, which has been #1 ever since I saw it for the first time decades ago, everything else would be up for grabs in terms of where I'd specifically rank it.

Gary "still left out a lot of stuff I love doing those two lists" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#32 of 104 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 12:07 AM

My next ten.... 11. Deadwood 12. Foyle's War 13. M Squad 14. The Honeymooners 15. I Love Lucy 16. Columbo 17. The Outer Limits (original) 18. The Prisoner 19. Green Acres 20. The Avengers

#33 of 104 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 913 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 12:58 AM

1. Harry O 2. Law & Order (the mothership) 3. The Fugitive and the rest in alphabetical order: Hawaii Five-O (the original, not the new "Male Model Five-O" version) Hill Street Blues The Honeymooners Magnum, P.I. Mary Tyler Moore Remington Steele St. Elsewhere Honorable Mentions: The Great Adventure NCIS Slattery's People

#34 of 104 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 26 2012 - 01:54 AM

Honestly, i like just about every show you guys have posted. My favorite show...shocker... Star Trek TOS After that, the waters muddy a bit, just like you guys, and in no particular order. But i would have to say i LOVE... The X Files (season 1-5 only) Space: 1999 Doctor Who (Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and David Tennant only) Farscape Perry Mason Cowboy Bebop Adam-12 Star Trek- TNG The Six Million Dollar Man and # 11, Sherlock, all 6 episodes. Some great TV. If you guys love mysteries you HAVE to see this show.

#35 of 104 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 02:10 AM

I keep changing orders and titles for these lists, can think of these pretty solid ones right now: 1. Harry O 2. Columbo 3. WKRP in Cincinnati 4. Thriller (UK) 5. The Time Tunnel 6. Have Gun Will Travel 7. Barnaby Jones 8. Blackadder 9. M.A.S.H. 10. The Waltons

#36 of 104 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 02:31 AM

Maude The Donna Reed Show Bewitched Charlie's Angels Mama's Family It's a Living Designing Women The Golden Girls Roseanne Family Affair

#37 of 104 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 03:11 AM

A problem I had, after the easy top three, was that I loaded my next seven with more current series. That's not to say that older series were less of a favorite. I just worried that, since I hadn't seen them in so long, I wondered if they would hold up (some not seen since their original run decades ago). What I liked as a child, or in my teens, or my twenties - would it still hold up as I reach my fifties. These were shows that were appointment TV, can't miss an episode, talk about the next week shows. Ten was too high a number and too low a number. I have a few (for me, three) that are definitely, positively, always on my list. The I have the others. Is it 25, is it 50? Hard to limit. David

#38 of 104 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 03:17 AM

Haha I love your opening statement Roy!! Dark Shadows Petyon Place The Time Tunnel Voyage To the Bottom Of The Sea Star Trek Deep Space Nine The Wild Wild West Battestar Galactica Orginial I Love Lucy Mannix Dallas

#39 of 104 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 03:18 AM

Where should I begin? :confused: I'll divy it up into Categories, with two from each. 1. Science Fiction Star Trek, TOS The Twilight Zone 2. Animated Hot Wheels Skyhawks 3. Comidies Get Smart Batman 4. Action Adventure Dragnet The FBI 5. Family Lassie Little House on the Prairie

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 38,106 :biggrin: ( 817 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,426  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#40 of 104 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 26 2012 - 03:35 AM

The X Files (season 1-5 only)

Just out of curiosity, what is it about S6 that you don't like? It wraps up the conspiracy storyline (as much as the show ever wrapped things up), there's solid mythology and standalone episodes, the production values got even better with the move to Los Angeles and while leaving Vancouver changed the gloomy look of the show somewhat, I think the episodes are overall stronger than S5. Episodes like Drive, Triangle, How The Ghosts Stole Christmas, S.R. 819, Two Fathers, One Son, Monday, Milagro and The Unnatural range from excellent to very good. I guess what I'm saying is if you haven't seen S6 in a while, watch it again and you might be pleasantly surpised. And while on the subject of The X-Files, I know people wrote off the seasons without Duchovny but S8 is one of the best years of the show. With S8, I think the writers knew that they had to up their game (especially after S7 which, in my opinion, is the weakest year of the entire series) because Duchovny was gone and they ended up with some really excellent monster-of-the-week shows and the mythology episodes focused on finding Mulder which was much more interesting than S7 or S9's mythology episodes where they were basically forced to shoehorn new elements into the conspiracy storyline in order to keep the mythology story going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users