What's new

Any news on Mission Impossible franchise getting lossless audio ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I own Mission Impossible on HD-DVD and will not replace it till it gets a lossless audio track! I am not that happy with the HD-DVD audio wise and am wondering if anyone has heard if the if this franchise will be getting a Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio treatment?
Waiting to dump my HD-DVD version of these movies!
If anyone has an email address for Paramount home video I would greatly appreciate it! :D

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I've been holding out as well. I'm not a big fan of the 2nd one, but I'd buy a box set with all of them if they included lossless audio.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Try the Hong Kong release. Pricey, and from what I hear they are the same masters used for the existing US blu-rays, but they have lossless audio and are AVC encoded. I'd imagine the new package with all four movies has them as well.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Dave,
I don't actually have this release, but I have not had any issues playing the two Hong Kong releases I have (Pulp Fiction and House of Flying Daggers) on my PS3. (Got them from yesasia.)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jeff Adkins said:
I've been holding out as well. I'm not a big fan of the 2nd one, but I'd buy a box set with all of them if they included lossless audio.
Same here. Just picked up Ghost Protocol on blu ray. Would like the others, but Paramount needs to do some justice to all of the titles with picture and audio...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Do the Dutch releases retain all the extras? Did the U.S. every get versions with lossless audio?

I'm also interested in this information. Great timing on your post as I was just looking at the u.s. Release again.
I'd love to pick up the original film on blu ray.
Maybe with the new film next summer uhd blu ray releases are in the works???

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have MI 1-3 on HD-DVD with Dolby Digital Plus so if the Blu-ray's only have basic Dolby Digital I will hold off for MI on 4k UHD!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have MI 1-3 on HD-DVD with Dolby Digital Plus so if the Blu-ray's only have basic Dolby Digital I will hold off for MI on 4k UHD!

Nice!
I only researched the first film.
I was curious about hd DVD audio.
More puzzling is why paramount went dd for these films on blu ray!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am surprised that paramount did not at least go uncompressed pcm. I remember when blu-ray first came out a number of releases where uncompressed pcm.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Only Dolby Digital 5.1 for English audio. The Scandinavian sets are really the bee's knees in term of both lossless audio and extras. I only had to pick up a cheap, used-like-new set of the 2-disc collector's edition of M:I 3 to get the additional extras for that.

Also, the M:I 3 in the Dutch set is also only Dolby Digital 5.1.

All the mission impossible films had lossless in Scandinavia?

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
All the mission impossible films had lossless in Scandinavia?
Yes, it was pretty much the only region were all movies had lossless audio, as well as retaining all the extras (except for the M:I 3 bonus disc as mentioned above). The trilogy set is pretty much OOP at this point, replaced by the subsequent 4- and 5-movie sets (also lossless btw) but if one only needs the three first films with the lossless audio then they are available separately as well at pretty good prices.

Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible 2
Mission: Impossible 3

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yes, it was pretty much the only region were all movies had lossless audio, as well as retaining all the extras (except for the M:I 3 bonus disc as mentioned above). The trilogy set is pretty much OOP at this point, replaced by the subsequent 4- and 5-movie sets (also lossless btw) but if one only needs the three first films with the lossless audio then they are available separately as well at pretty good prices.

Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible 2
Mission: Impossible 3

That's crazy! I wonder why paramount would do this?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks