Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: JAWS (Blu-ray) (Plus restoration details)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#21 of 178 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,596 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 03:39 AM

Now available for preorder

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#22 of 178 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 03:59 AM

If that's all on a single disc, I assume that at least one of the two feature-length documentaries is in standard def

Probably safe to assume the original Laurent Bouzereau doc will be SD only as it was made during the Laserdisc era.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#23 of 178 OFFLINE   captgoodguy

captgoodguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 04:59 AM

My all time favorite movie. Way excited for this one.
"Never fly with chocolate!"

#24 of 178 OFFLINE   Steven Good

Steven Good

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 05:05 AM

So.... what is missing from this blu-ray release that was available on the DVD release, or even the signature series laserdisc box? Wondering what I need to keep to have everything available...
Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

#25 of 178 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted April 10 2012 - 05:07 AM

Impossible NOT to buy this. Is there a word for that phenomenon?
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#26 of 178 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted April 10 2012 - 05:15 AM

So.... what is missing from this blu-ray release that was available on the DVD release, or even the signature series laserdisc box? Wondering what I need to keep to have everything available...

If I recall correctly the Laserdisc set included a soundtrack CD and a novelization (book) of the film. I'm glad they're including the full 2-hour version of the Laurent Bouzereau doc that appeared in the Laser set (but omitted from the 25th Anny. DVD). Other than this, I don't know what else might be omitted for this new Blu-ray. That new feature-length doc might make up for any missing material IMO.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#27 of 178 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,742 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 05:33 AM

THANK YOU RON!!!!! I don't know how many posts I have made about Universal including 'The Shark Is Still Working' on the upcoming release, but it was the only thing I was really hoping for. Awesome.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#28 of 178 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,760 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 05:52 AM

I'm in [like there was a chance I wasn't going to be...] Ordered through the link! Can't wait for this one. ----------- EDIT: wow, okay I just watched the restoration video. I didn't think my expectations could be heightened but they have been! It looks like they really treated this title right!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#29 of 178 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,617 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 06:15 AM

Looks like good news on all fronts. Just ordered through the link here at HTF as well. My favorite summer time movie!

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#30 of 178 OFFLINE   RossMan

RossMan

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 06:19 AM

I hadn't been to the "The Shark Is Still Working" website in a while and thought I would check it out to see if they posted about the blu ray... www.sharkisstillworking.com/ but it is now a Universal site for the blu ray... http://www.jawsonbluray.com/ I guess Universal bought it... ? Still very good news!

#31 of 178 OFFLINE   Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted April 10 2012 - 06:30 AM

But will the mono be lossless? Probably not. It lists: DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono and Dolby Digital 2.0, but how can mono be surround? It must be standard DD 2.0. And they're basing the 7.1 mix off of the 5.1 with all the added effects. You can hear some of them in the Restoration video.

#32 of 178 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,303 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 06:40 AM

2.0 "mono" as in the same audio information on both channels more than likely. In other words, not stereo.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#33 of 178 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 06:51 AM

I guess it's safe to assume they aren't going to DNR the hell out of it, as Universal has been known to do in the past.

#34 of 178 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 10 2012 - 07:18 AM

I guess it's safe to assume they aren't going to DNR the hell out of it, as Universal has been known to do in the past.

I'd look at the movies that Universal has restored this year (the real restorations like To Kill A Mockingbird) as a guess for how this one will be handled.

#35 of 178 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 08:02 AM

I was around when this was new, saw it as audience, then as theatre staff. Somewhere I still have a couple Jaws drink cups and maybe a towel. Caught a rare screening of TSISW and it's great that Uni bought it for this. Hope it was not a hostile takeover! Only other thing I'd wish for is - Biography channel also did its own feature length doc which was very good. Steven seems very pleased with the upgrades to the feature, so yeah this is on the buy list, although won't sell off the existing version until I see if all the existing stuff is ported over.

#36 of 178 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 08:11 AM

It's been screened, but it's never been commercially available. It's also not actually produced by Universal, am I right about that? Which means they bought it, or are licensing it or something. But who cares - I just want to see it. I remember it was "Coming Soon" when I was still in college, and I've been out for ages now :)

They would have to have bought it. But such things don't happen very often and it's a great addition here. The doc was pretty comprehensive, they rounded up every surviving cast member you would want to see. PS nice to see a fellow Studio 60 fan. I have fond memories of my two or three set visits.

#37 of 178 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted April 10 2012 - 08:17 AM

They would have to have bought it. But such things don't happen very often and it's a great addition here. The doc was pretty comprehensive, they rounded up every surviving cast member you would want to see. PS nice to see a fellow Studio 60 fan. I have fond memories of my two or three set visits.

Honestly, I'm kind of pleasantly surprised they aren't releasing it on its own. I was going to buy the JAWS blu-ray, and I was going to buy TSISW when it was eventually available. The fact that I only have to purchase one thing to get both is very nice indeed. And I desperately miss Matt Albie and Danny Tripp, and think that the world is a less interesting place without them :)

#38 of 178 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 08:21 AM

I hadn't been to the "The Shark Is Still Working" website in a while and thought I would check it out to see if they posted about the blu ray... www.sharkisstillworking.com/ but it is now a Universal site for the blu ray... http://www.jawsonbluray.com/ I guess Universal bought it... ? Still very good news!

Kinda looks like the buyout or takeover included a gag order as the filmmaker's site included a lot of stuff about their experiences in getting it made. I don't remember whether they had licensed footage from the movie itself or just the trailers (which didn't require permission). I'm thinking this was done ENTIRELY independent of UNI. Again I call attention to the great full length doc done by/for the Biography channel. Smithsonian channel also had a related "true story behind..." program that was chillingly interesting.

#39 of 178 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted April 10 2012 - 08:50 AM

Everyone knows about "The Shark Is Not Working", thanks to Richard Dreyfuss, one of the last surrving members of the film. I'm kinda supprised and not supprised that this release dosen't have a documentary about the history of the ride at all Universal parks, I think.

#40 of 178 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,266 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 10 2012 - 10:35 AM

Ah yes, the ride they recently terminated in Orlando.  There are legions of fans upset over that move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users