Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2012 MLB Regular Season and Post Season

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#41 of 152 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 27 2012 - 04:04 AM

There was a great "non-catch" in last night's Yankee/Indians game.

It looks like the umpire had a good view of what happened. I don't know how he blew it.

BUT...I actually LOVE the fact that stuff like this can happen. My favorite part of this play is that it cannot be reviewed by Instant Replay and overturned.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#42 of 152 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 27 2012 - 04:15 AM

How does that happen? The ump didn't even look in his glove to see if he had the ball.

facebook.com/whotony

#43 of 152 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 27 2012 - 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

How does that happen? The ump didn't even look in his glove to see if he had the ball.

Which he (the outfielder) didn't.  You can see the fan holding the ball in the air!

How can an umpire NOT ask to see the ball to "know" that the out was made?!?

Great stuff.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#44 of 152 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted June 27 2012 - 08:20 AM

It Shows me how good sportsman the Yankees are. I warched both versions just now. The Cleveland telecast seemed to  ignore the error!

#45 of 152 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 08:35 AM

I don't know what the announcers have to do with the team and sportsmanship. Besides the lead pxp guy for the Yankees on tv was yelling abut what a great catch he made and wasn't until the color guy questioned the catch and then the replay until the pxp guy said " oh he didn't catch it. "

facebook.com/whotony

#46 of 152 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 08:50 AM

I was not being critical with the TV, Why did the Yankee player tell the Ump that he DID NOT catch the ball!

#47 of 152 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 09:06 AM

You mentioned the Cleveland telecast so thats why I thought you where referencing them. Also I doubt any player would say he didn't catch a ball After the ump called an out.

facebook.com/whotony

#48 of 152 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

You mentioned the Cleveland telecast so thats why I thought you where referencing them. Also I doubt any player would say he didn't catch a ball
After the ump called an out.

THAT is why I said unsportsman like or is there no ethics in baseball?

#49 of 152 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 09:26 AM

The Cleveland tv guys did exactly the same as the Yankee guys. They didn't see the catch either but still called its catch until they saw the replay. I don't think the percentage of players with ethics in sports is more then 10% of all of them.

facebook.com/whotony

#50 of 152 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 27 2012 - 04:03 PM

We were kicking that around at the water cooler today.

Since the "non-catch" was being compared with Jeter's great catch in that great 13 inning game between the Red Sox and Yankees in July 2004 (13 innings, 4:20 before 55,265 at Yankee Stadium), we were wondering WWJD (What Would Jeter Do)?  Posted Image  Would Jeter have shown an empty glove to the ump? 

Deep philosophical stuff here...   Posted Image

#51 of 152 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 11:45 PM

Jeter may have, he might be the 10%.

facebook.com/whotony

#52 of 152 Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,849 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted June 28 2012 - 12:56 AM

The ump should never officiate another MLB game.  You ALWAYS ask to see the ball.  ALWAYS!!!

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#53 of 152 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,970 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 03:34 AM

Too bad there were already two outs in the inning because it would have been really funny to see the umpires espression when the fielder did not have any ball to throw back to the pitchers.

#54 of 152 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 03 2012 - 04:10 PM

Baltimore's Wei-Yin Chen is working a perfect game against Seattle. One away in the bottom of the 7th. Edit: attempt failed; Casper Wells scores. The relief pitcher just walked in the tying run. Wish I was seeing this on more than the ESPN app Gamecast.

#55 of 152 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,028 posts

Posted July 27 2012 - 03:16 PM

Although I just about counted the Red Sox out of making the playoffs this year about two weeks ago, I am now fully convinced that they will not make the playoffs this year. If by some chance they do end up making the post-season, they will IMO be in for an early exit given the current pitching staff they have. I hope upper management sees that they need pitching very badly and that they (like the Tigers recently) will consider spending some money to make some much-needed moves. I don't think such moves will happen this year, but there's always next year.
ockeghem2.jpg

#56 of 152 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,028 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 01:30 AM

Given Beckett's performance the past couple of years, I think I favor this possibility. http://espn.go.com/b...mp-josh-beckett
ockeghem2.jpg

#57 of 152 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,028 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 02:44 AM

Wow. There are some real treasures here. http://espn.go.com/m...re-566k-auction I miss my baseball cards! ;)
ockeghem2.jpg

#58 of 152 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 03 2012 - 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ockeghem 

I miss my baseball cards! Posted Image

Still got all mine!  Some good ones, too!

and I looooove stories like that "find."

#59 of 152 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,028 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 05:46 AM

Mike, Wow, good for you. I remember Koosman and Ryan (and Gentry, Seaver, and McGraw) on the 1969 Mets team. That was (and still is) my most favorite World Series that I've even seen.
ockeghem2.jpg

#60 of 152 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 03 2012 - 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ockeghem 

Mike,

Wow, good for you. I remember Koosman and Ryan (and Gentry, Seaver, and McGraw) on the 1969 Mets team. That was (and still is) my most favorite World Series that I've even seen.

It was a good one for me, too...mostly because Miss Trimble--my fifth grade teacher--was a baseball fan and she let us watch the beginning of all those afternoon, weekday WS games in the classroom!  The trick, then, was to get home as fast as possible after school let out to see the end of the game!

I was, of course, rooting for the Orioles because of my allegiance to the American League (even though the Mets were a NY team).

I think I've got four of these cards:

And even one of these:

But I never had a Mantle card.  Posted Image  It always seemed to me, as a kid, that every pack of cards I opened had a Dean Chance card in it!  Posted Image

My cards span from 1964 (I was just five years old) into the mid-70s.  And I think I've got a Yaz card from every season he played--including his rookie card (really beat up).  But several of those I got as an adult. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users