What's new

Why does Safari randomly dump and reload all my tabs? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Why does Safari 5 in Lion randomly dump all my tabs and reload? Very annoying. And has lost me email in process.

I'm about ready to dump Safari. Lately, it's been maybe the worst browser I've used in years. But what to use instead? Chrome is OK, if a bit weird in the UI. It's in my dock, but I don't use it regularly. I gave up on Firefox a year ago.

sigh.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is that a Safari thing? I don't think Chrome runs out of memory.

This is with only five or six tabs open on a 4GB system and a 64bit OS. How does it run out of memory???

Maybe I better switch back to Chrome.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't use Safari, but I use a Safari alternative (on the iPhone), and this is caused by memory leaks, as Sam says. In my browser, there is a menu called Low Memory Conditions where you can turn off tab reloading. Check your options to see if "proper" Safari has that as well. Edit: here's a site with an instant solution, but it'll comes with the down side of disabling Java applets: http://www.webmaster-source.com/2011/10/05/how-to-turn-off-auto-reloading-tabs-in-safari-5-1/ That's from last October, so maybe there's a better solution now?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Disabled Java. I never use it. We'll see if that helps.

I've also now read Safari 5.2 fixes this problem. We'll see.

Why didn't I use Chrome? Oh, I was using it full-time, but was decided to go for a more integrated system, particularly with bookmarks shared from desktop to iPHone. And I tried going Flash-less, which meant using Safari with the plug-in uninstalled. And Chrome's UI is a touch more odd than Safari's. (I still think Firefox had the best combo of UI with plug-ins.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I did six months ago. I reinstalled it last weekend. It was too much trouble having to juggle browsers. And the web on the desktop isn't usable for without Flash (le sigh)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks