What's new

Favorite car chase movie? (1 Viewer)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Ronald Epstein's review of The Fast and The Furious inspired me to ask what is you favorite car chase movie?
iroc-dragster.gif

I haven't seen The Fast and The Furious yet, so I would have to say Ronin.
Jon

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't have a particularly favorite Car Chase movie as there are so many that I like, but my favorite Car Chase scene is the one in 'To Live and Die in L.A.'(which I wouldn't classify as a Car chase movie) when they go onto the freeway in the wrong direction. Very cool indeed!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
While it isn't a 'car chase' film, my favorite chase sequence has to be from The Seven Ups with Roy Scheider.
In terms of car chase films Vanishing Point is my favorite title. IMO, Barry Newman's performance and the existential nature of the film help distinguish it from most entries in the genre.
First runner up would probably be Dirty Larry, Crazy Mary.
- Walter.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I thought Ronin had good car chases, but I just didn't like the movie, and i'm a huge De Niro fan.
Best car chase without a doubt is The Blues Brothers and it's not such a bad movie either.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
IMO, the best "chase" scene of all-time has to be the conclusion of The Road Warrior...some of the best stunt work ever caught on film.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
It's gotta be "The Blues Brothers".

"Use of unnecessary force in the aprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved".

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
"Vanishing Point"

"Dirty Mary Crazy Larry"

"Sugarland Express"

"Convoy" Trucks, but still awesome!! Love to have this on DVD!

"Smokey and the Bandit"

"Duel"

"Gone in Sixty Seconds"

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
There is only ONE: Bullitt.

I know many people will say it's old and you should see this or that movie did "....", but when Bullitt came out in 1968, people have NEVER seen car chases like that. Unlike movies such as Ronin. French Connection, you can compare them to prior art such as The Man with Golden Gun, the 74 Gone in 60 seconds, etc. With Bullitt, there wasn't any prior art to compare, zip, nothing before came close, it quite simply changed the world of movie car chasing forever. Kind of like when Star Wars came out in 77, people have never seen that kind space battle before (and that's in addition to other Star Wars virtues).

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
One other movie that I say would be a second to Bullitt:

The Italian Job (1969)

A one of a kind movie, 4 MiniCoupers chased by Alfa Romeo police cars, waving through busy Italian streets as well as underground sewers is something that has never been done before or since, wish it will get a DVD release someday, such a fun movie too.

BruZZi

Second Unit
Vanishing Point (1971)
__________________________________________________ __
"Gotta Love" That 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
Link Removed
vpoint07.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks