Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Mr. Magoo Theatrical Collection from Shout! June 19th 2012!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 of 27 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 864 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 06:36 PM

Amazon has it listed ever since the first announcement and added a price two days ago

Mike, I just wanted to be sure as sometimes, Shout! usually releases some of their titles only through their Select Store like they did with Rhoda S4 at one point, hence why I inquired about this set specifically and where it might become available.

#22 of 27 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 28 2014 - 08:02 AM

first , glad to see this is coming, and according to cartoon brew it is going to include the full version of 1001 Arabian Nights, but after the delay, and knowing that Sony went to the negatives (did the heavy lifting) would have been nice to see a blu release of this as well. I am sure that this is going to look great, but hey one can hope.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#23 of 27 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 812 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 06:00 PM

Perhaps there will be a reissue--would love to see this paired with the UPA collection on BD

#24 of 27 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 06:24 PM

I'm not as familiar with the theatrical Magoo cartoons as I am the made-for-TV ones...Is there anything in these that's at risk of getting edited out or dubbed over for the sake of PC/sensitivity as happened with the Magoo TV cartoon release?

Not particularly--The Chinese houseboy was invented for the TV series, and Magoo was either alone or had his nephew Waldo.

As for 1001 Arabian Nights, I can't say (still waiting to see it), but UPA TV committed more cartoon offenses than the movie studio ever did.

#25 of 27 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 11:01 PM

Also, the TV Magoos video masters were edited ages ago for television before Classic Media ever got them, hence the edited TV episodes were the only ones Shout Factory were even able to release.  Shout Factory even went about asking collectors if they had unedited prints they could use because Classic Media wouldn't provide them, with no luck.

Since these cartoons for the theatrical set were remastered by Sony from the original negatives, the chances of anything being edited out is absolutely zero.

In regards to 1001 Arabian Nights, that one is pretty tame in that regard.  Nothing on the level of Charlie.

#26 of 27 Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted January 31 2014 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the responses. I feel reassured now about what we can expect and am really looking forward to this release. I also didn't know that Shout Factory had tried to get unedited prints for the TV collection. I'm still disappointed it couldn't be done, but I appreciate that the attempt was made.

#27 of 27 Essanay Paul

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 10:52 PM

The transfers look GREAT!

There are some jacket printing errors, thankfully the error is only on the printed jacket and not the film transfers.

1) Bungled Bungalow (1950) is 4x3 1:33-1  and NOT 16x9 1:85-1 as indicated on the back.

2) Safety Spin (1953) is 4x3 1:33-1  and NOT 16x9 1:85-1 as indicated on the back.

3) Terror Faces Magoo (1959) is 16x9 1:85-1 and NOT 4x3 1:33-1 as indicated on the back.

4) The title sequence listed on the back does not match the sequence on the discs.

I was worried about these aspect ratios when I read the back and quickly popped the discs in and cued those cartoons.  I was happy to see that Sony did the transfers right, Shout just made an error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users