What's new

Mr. Magoo Theatrical Collection from Shout! June 19th 2012!!! (1 Viewer)

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony DiPaola
I don't know if this was posted yet, but Shout! will release the long-awaited release of Mr. Magoo theatrical shorts on DVD June 2012!:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/dvd/upa-on-dvd.html
"On June 19th, Shout Factory will release The Mr. Magoo Theatrical Collection which will include all the original Magoo theatricals, including the Oscar winners When Magoo Flew and Magoo’s Puddle Jumper (both in letter boxed CinemaScope). Bonus materials include rare pencil tests, audio commentaries by the likes of Emily Hubley, John Canemaker, Charles Solomon and much much more"
By George Shoit!, you've done it again! :D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is good news if some restoration was done Hopefully more than the Mr. Magoo show release otherwise this will be a dissapointingly rough and faded looking release.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The theatricals are from Sony's holdings, so they should look considerably better. The upcoming UPA Jolly Frolics set from TCM should be a good barometer on how well the Magoos will look.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Amazon, after previously advising that it was to come three months earlier have now announced that it is no longer available in an e-mail I have just received and canceled my long standing pre-order. Any further on this?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Shout's Facebook responses indicate that they changed the date it will be released, but haven't announced it yet. My guess is Fall or Winter 2012.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Can't wait on this one. I'll probably order the tv collection at the same time.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Any idea when this may be arriving? It seems that the wait has been too too long???

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I asked Shout's Facebook page about it. They say it's still on their docket, but they haven't scheduled a release date yet.

According to Jerry Beck's last visit on Stu's Show, the restoration work on the cartoons is done. The holdup is on Shout's end.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Finally--have been waiting for this for quite literally years now.
First day purchase.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm not as familiar with the theatrical Magoo cartoons as I am the made-for-TV ones...Is there anything in these that's at risk of getting edited out or dubbed over for the sake of PC/sensitivity as happened with the Magoo TV cartoon release?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
first , glad to see this is coming, and according to cartoon brew it is going to include the full version of 1001 Arabian Nights, but after the delay, and knowing that Sony went to the negatives (did the heavy lifting) would have been nice to see a blu release of this as well. I am sure that this is going to look great, but hey one can hope.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Perhaps there will be a reissue--would love to see this paired with the UPA collection on BD

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Dave Lawrence said:
I'm not as familiar with the theatrical Magoo cartoons as I am the made-for-TV ones...Is there anything in these that's at risk of getting edited out or dubbed over for the sake of PC/sensitivity as happened with the Magoo TV cartoon release?
Not particularly--The Chinese houseboy was invented for the TV series, and Magoo was either alone or had his nephew Waldo.
As for 1001 Arabian Nights, I can't say (still waiting to see it), but UPA TV committed more cartoon offenses than the movie studio ever did.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Also, the TV Magoos video masters were edited ages ago for television before Classic Media ever got them, hence the edited TV episodes were the only ones Shout Factory were even able to release. Shout Factory even went about asking collectors if they had unedited prints they could use because Classic Media wouldn't provide them, with no luck.

Since these cartoons for the theatrical set were remastered by Sony from the original negatives, the chances of anything being edited out is absolutely zero.

In regards to 1001 Arabian Nights, that one is pretty tame in that regard. Nothing on the level of Charlie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks