-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blue Bloods: Season 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 10:08 AM

Posted on September 24th (in the Blue Bloods Season 1 thread): Based on the overnight ratings for US primetime network TV last night Blue Bloods kicked off it's second season very well, getting just under 12 million viewers, easily winning the 10 pm timeslot. It got a 2.0 rating and 6% share in the 18-49 demographics. Posted yesterday (in the Blue Bloods: Season 1 thread): The second season premiere was a very assured episode. I was glad that the family element had been retained, but worried that with the rest of the show the focus wouldn't be as good as it was in the first season (even though the Blue Templar story arc didn't run through all of that season, and some of the episodes towards the season finale weren't memorable). Was expecting Jennifer Esposito to be added to the main cast title sequence, but alas she hasn't.

#2 of 55 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 09 2011 - 12:40 PM

Finally caught up.   I think this is a much better show when they ditch the fake cloak and dagger stuff (blue templars) and focus on the crimes.   I like the family dynamic, and found it really fitting when you had a wife who was really wounded by the bravado of a spouse.    Plus, Tom Selleck is great in this.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 11:48 AM

I initially liked the Blue Templar story arc in the first season. However, when it vanished for several episodes and then returned in the run up to the season finale, I hadn't missed it much, instead more interested in what else they were doing (the detective cases and the family aspect). The build up to the end of the Blue Templar plot was good. But it was too obvious that

one of the recurring characters was involved with the Blue Templar (Michael T. Weiss's character)

Based on the season premiere alone, this season's story arc with Jesse going undercover could be good if they keep with it. However, as long as the separate detective cases remain well written (ie. a fresh spin on cop show plots) and the family aspect (with the dinner table scenes for example), then this season should be pretty good.

The fast national ratings are keeping consistent, around 11 million viewers in the 10 pm timeslot on Friday nights.

#4 of 55 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 11:46 PM

I loved last nights episode.  So many shows go the road of "he claims he was wrongly convicted" and the show spends the episode proving they were right, he belonged in.   Blue Bloods faced it dead on and the man was innocent, and Frank Reagan, a lead character was one of those who made a mistake.

I thought that entire subplot was solid - very solid stuff.

trakt.tv

#5 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 10:09 AM

The second episode "Friendly Fire" was a solid, good episode with Danny taking the spotlight. Even when the story isn't totally engaging, you know you are watching a quality series.

#6 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted October 19 2011 - 09:14 AM

Episode 3 "Critical Condition" was nearly excellent. Impressed so far with Blue Bloods' second season. Next week's episode is the one you posted about in your last post Matt.

#7 of 55 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 19 2011 - 12:05 PM

Yeah, I really liked everything about it.  Like I said, it's not often a cop show actually has the wrongly convicted BE wrongfully convicted.   I can't think of how many times we see on Law & Order or elsewhere a detective "I can't believe they are getting out on a technicality!"  It was refreshing to face the hard truth that the law, unfortunately, makes mistakes sometimes.

trakt.tv

#8 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted October 27 2011 - 09:37 AM

Episode 4 "Innocence" was very good, nearly excellent. Both plots ended satisfactory. Looks like the mytharc story this season with Jesse going undercover returns next week.

#9 of 55 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 29 2011 - 02:38 PM

What happened this week? I got a Blue Bloods recording, but it turned out to be one of the CSIs. There was some kind of announcement before the show, but my recording started too late to fully catch it. Maybe CBS went rerun to avoid conflicts with the World Series? Edit: Saw on a news site that that's exactly what happened.

#10 of 55 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 29 2011 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, same here...

trakt.tv

#11 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 10:05 AM

Episode 5 "A Night on the Town" had three plots which were as good as each other. The mytharc story with Jamie's undercover work progressed, and the other two plots were pretty good.

#12 of 55 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 02:20 AM

Selleck is damn good as the Chief.   Its a fun watch on a Saturday morning from the DVR.   I liked the storyline this week, and was glad they didn't turn the minister into the drug kingpin; he was only an attention seeker.

trakt.tv

#13 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 10:46 AM

"Black and Blue" was excellent. A tense storyline with the

standoff and an interesting investigation into the emergency phone call.

The episode got around 12.5 million viewers (source: TVbynumbers), up on what it normally gets for a new episode.

#14 of 55 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted November 11 2011 - 04:58 PM

Good stuff tonight.  Lots of different storylines and thankfully they didn't merge together.   I enjoyed the scene in the art gallery a good deal.

trakt.tv

#15 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 13 2011 - 03:42 AM

The ratings dropped down to just over 11 million viewers for Friday night's episode (source: TVbynumbers), but that's what it normally gets anyway.

The sunglasses Tom Selleck wears in Blue Bloods...are those the same ones he wore in the later seasons of Magnum, p.i.?

#16 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 15 2011 - 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

Good stuff tonight.  Lots of different storylines and thankfully they didn't merge together.   I enjoyed the scene in the art gallery a good deal.

Agree with what you say. Very good episode which saw Jennifer Esposito's character get sort of center-stage. Totally forgot Frederick Weller (In Plain Sight) was playing the part of the art gallery character. Hopefully he will appear again. Had read a while back on the web that he was going to guest star in Blue Bloods.

#17 of 55 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted November 18 2011 - 04:25 PM

Maybe it's demographic is old.   Too bad, I really look forward to this show every week.   Good stuff again this week.

trakt.tv

#18 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 19 2011 - 07:35 AM

There seems to be this stigma attached to Blue Bloods, that only older people watch it. Now yes, the low 18-49 demo figures tell a story. Very much enjoy the show and I'm on the wrong side of 30. Was last night's episode the Thanksgiving one, because recently on EpGuides they originally had an episode called "Thanksgiving" (but then it was removed and changed to "Whistle Blower". Today though it's back to "Thanksgiving").

#19 of 55 Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted November 19 2011 - 08:57 AM

Yes, the most recent episode was "Thanksgiving", next week is Thanksgiving and of course all repeats. In regard to the demographics, I for one am glad there are at least a few shows on TV that are not just for teens or kids in their 20s mostly. I can't stand most of the shows now days because they are mainly for those with low IQ general public and teens. But I never fit into the mold anyway because even when I was that age I always watched shows I thought were good regardless of the type of show or age it was made more for. An example is I am proud to say I watched the "Golden Girls", "Mamma's Family", "Matlock" and others. Movies were the same way for me and I know others my age then or younger were board and left shows I really enjoyed. A good show is a good show regardless I always believed.

#20 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffery_H 

Yes, the most recent episode was "Thanksgiving", next week is Thanksgiving and of course all repeats.

Knew it was Thanksgiving this week (Thursday), so it was fairly obvious there would be mostly repeats around this Thursday. For all we know there could very well have not been an episode of Blue Bloods this season with Thanksgiving as one of the plotlines and/or scenes. It's very fitting for Blue Bloods to do an episode centred around the occasion, what with the family element of the show.

Quote:

In regard to the demographics, I for one am glad there are at least a few shows on TV that are not just for teens or kids in their 20s mostly. I can't stand most of the shows now days because they are mainly for those with low IQ general public and teens. But I never fit into the mold anyway because even when I was that age I always watched shows I thought were good regardless of the type of show or age it was made more for. An example is I am proud to say I watched the "Golden Girls", "Mamma's Family", "Matlock" and others. Movies were the same way for me and I know others my age then or younger were board and left shows I really enjoyed. A good show is a good show regardless I always believed.

There aren't many current CBS series I will watch (just Blue Bloods and Hawaii Five-0), so I'm glad that Blue Bloods hasn't lost the family element, because that helps to make the show distinctive against other CBS series. It has the procedural element with the police cases (but thankfully doesn't have the CSI feel to it), but with the scenes showing the family together as well.

A show shouldn't criticised because it doesn't appeal to the younger demographic and so can't be successful if it isn't getting the high 18-49 demos for example. Blue Bloods is one of the very few shows on US network TV which doesn't explain things all the time.