What's new

Blue Bloods: Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Even though parts were predictable, "No Questions Asked" was one of the best episodes yet. Showed how justice can be impeded by the rules, and how you sometimes have to work with people you don't like--and maybe even find a way to reach common ground with them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/315286/blue-bloods-season-2/30#post_3912813
Even though parts were predictable, "No Questions Asked" was one of the best episodes yet. Showed how justice can be impeded by the rules, and how you sometimes have to work with people you don't like--and maybe even find a way to reach common ground with them.
I like how the Commisner's relationship with the Mayor has evolved.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show is easily one of the most wholesome family shows on TV. Yes, there is always a murder or a mystery or something, but it plays almost like "The Waltons: 2012". Which isn't a bad thing; dinner at a table, families concerned about brothers, husbands and kids, and the storylines are always about the morality of the choices they make. Kid might have his cover blown, putting him at risk - so instead of being a hero, someone else has to pretend to be the hero to save his hide. And so on.. a young boy doesn't believe his father commits suicide, and an investigation proves him right.

I have no problem with it, and I enjoy it week in and week out, but it is very different from most of what is on the air in that way. Still, Tom Selleck is fantastic and the writing is snappy, all of the characters are likable and easy to relate to. Some perks in playing a "feel good" cop drama I suppose

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
"Women with Guns" was a better episode than most of the last few episodes. Margaret Colin (who played a good part in Now and Again) was a love interest for Frank. Hopefully her reporter character will appear again on Blue Bloods in the future.

The Jamie undercover storyline resumed, after many weeks with nothing happening. Looks to be resolved, but an upcoming storyline suggests the storyline will continue.

So, after a dull last few episodes the show is slowly improving. Hopefully it will continue through to the season finale.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
"Reagan vs Reagan" was a good, solid episode. Good to see Jay O' Sanders on screen again, after starring in the tenth (and final) season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. The teaser wrongfooted you, the heated exchanges between Erin and Danny were written well, and the resolution before the end of the episode wasn't schmaltzy. Looking forward to next week's episode "No Questions Asked".

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
"Some Kind of Hero", was like last week's episode a good, solid episode and nothing great. Blue Bloods still has that atmosphere and well chosen music, but there haven't been as many memorable episodes so far this season as there were in the first season. But at least the Jamie undercover storyline has returned.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This was more like it. 'Wow' was the word to describe the latest episode of the second season, in which Erin is offered a job by the mayor and Danny and Jackie have to protect a witness in a trial. Very entertaining story, which at times kept you guessing, along with witty dialogue and a couple of twists thrown into the mix. To sum up, the best episode in a long while.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Love a good mother's day episode. My parents and I discussed this today; and my mom brought up my thought "it's the modern "Waltons" " she's right, it's basically an uber-wholesome family story that seems to work out well :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was rolling my eyes at yet another "New York in jeopardy" episode--between this and Castle, we see a whole lot of that--but it turned out to be almost the B story here. I don't know how you quantify it, actually, since all the stories were given equal weight. By playing it that way, it kept the episode fresh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's definitely my favorite cop show. POI is my favorite show, but I think of it as more than just a cop show.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The penultimate episode of the season wasn't written as well as the previous week's episode. The Jamie undercover mytharc came to a satisfying conclusion, but it should have been the main plot and not the B-plot. It started off very well the episode, but sort of fizzed out by the end.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /t/315286/blue-bloods-season-2/30#post_3925345
The penultimate episode of the season wasn't written as well as the previous week's episode. The Jamie undercover mytharc came to a satisfying conclusion, but it should have been the main plot and not the B-plot. It started off very well the episode, but sort of fizzed out by the end.

I disagree, I think the reason why it was the B-plot because the storyline didn't connect with the series audience and they ended it based on that finding.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/315286/blue-bloods-season-2/30#post_3925363

I disagree, I think the reason why it was the B-plot because the storyline didn't connect with the series audience and they ended it based on that finding.

The Jamie undercover mytharc disappeared for the majority of the season. Perhaps the writers didn't know what to do with it? There has been something wrong with the stories this season, not having the energy of the first season. Blue Bloods is still one of the best shows on TV, but this second season hasn't been as good as the first. Still think though that the resolution should have been the main plot of the penultimate episode, which didn't have as much interest as the Jamie undercover mytharc wrap-up.

The season finale "Mother's Day" was satisfying, with the Danny and Jamie scenes providing the episode's highlights. Looks like their feud has finished.

Always strange when a show which is one of your favourites is gone for a few months. Looking forward to next season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /t/315286/blue-bloods-season-2/30#post_3926143

The Jamie undercover mytharc disappeared for the majority of the season. Perhaps the writers didn't know what to do with it? There has been something wrong with the stories this season, not having the energy of the first season. Blue Bloods is still one of the best shows on TV, but this second season hasn't been as good as the first. Still think though that the resolution should have been the main plot of the penultimate episode, which didn't have as much interest as the Jamie undercover mytharc wrap-up.

The season finale "Mother's Day" was satisfying, with the Danny and Jamie scenes providing the episode's highlights. Looks like their feud has finished.

Always strange when a show which is one of your favourites is gone for a few months. Looking forward to next season.

Yeah, it wasn't working for the viewers in my opinion.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/315286/blue-bloods-season-2/30#post_3926167

Yeah, it wasn't working for the viewers in my opinion.

The thing was, the last time the Jamie undercover storyline (and it wasn't a bad storyline. It needed to be fleshed out a bit. And what happened to the sister in the crime family who had scenes with Jamie?) was mentioned, earlier in the second season, there was nothing wrong with it. It was just that it disappeared and didn't resume until earlier this year.

Creating that fine balance with the storylines with Frank and Jamie at work, Danny and Jackie's cases, Erin's legal cases and the family aspect (the dinner table scene for example) is tricky. But when they get it right on the show it's one of the best series on TV. And not forgetting Mark Snow's score, which creates the mood for the series well.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It was kind of a dumb storyline exemplified by the episode Jaime saves the baby in the fire, why in god's name would you have him undercover with the mob and still walking the beat on the street, it made no sense.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Dave Scarpa said:
It was kind of a dumb storyline exemplified by the episode Jaime saves the baby in the fire, why in god's name would you have him undercover with the mob and still walking the beat on the street, it made no sense.
Couldn't agree more.
The entire Jamie undercover storyline made no sense at all in how they handled most of it. In fact, it was almost like an afterthought of them starting down the path, but then nearly forgetting where or what they were going to do with it. I was the first one to point out when watching it at home how bad the writing was on this, not the whole season mind you (which I enjoyed overall). You would never nor could you ever have any beat cop that had ever done public service undercover, especially in this situation. Assuming they had connections as most mobs do, the first thing you would do is get lots of video on the guy and do a background check knowing they could be law enforcement. That would mean you would check with those in the mob, black markets, overseas, etc. to see if you find anything on the guy or if anyone knows his background. Did they just suddenly appear? What about his own connections? Would you really take a chance and let them get that close? All of this is what would happen in real life, you just don't get in and out like they wrote it.
There are several other real sore spots with me on the writing of this show, but it is better than the almost absurd cartoon style of shows like Hawaii 5 0 and such. That and I really like Tom Selleck in most everything he has done.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some work needs to be done with the writing for the third season of Blue Bloods. The second season had it's moments, but it just didn't have the energy of the first season, with some episodes towards the end being a bit dull. You can be entertained and also concentrate on the stories. Hawaii Five-0 is mostly pure entertainment, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think the real problem with the series, which I do enjoy, is that every show now a day think they need a story arc. In the first season it was a bit stonger with the Blue Templar angle, but it still was'nt great, the Arc vanished for episodes at a time and then when wrapped up, it resolved itself too quickly. But really why does this show need an Arc, It works fine with Standalone stories. Make their continuing life at home the arc that continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks