What's new

Really Good Imported Blu-rays With No U.S. Announcements? (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I have a couple of UK imports in my collection that are very nice Blu-rays with regard to image quality, and yet no foreseeable release in the US? Interestingly, both are Universal titles: The Deer Hunter and Smokey and the Bandit. What gives? Wouldn't this be a simple matter to release the same disc in America?

There are probably many more examples, but I just thought this was odd. It's not a matter of restoration cost; they could simply re-package the existing discs, so why the delay?

Both discs are pretty light on features, so if it was a PAL/NTSC conversion issue, then they could simply drop the extras if they wanted to save money.

Seems I may have to keep importing the odd title that for some reason, even though popular in the US, only sees the light of day overseas.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Deer Hunter had an HD-DVD release, so it'll probably be coming on Blu-Ray eventually and hopefully with a transfer worthy of its Best Picture Oscar - unlike Out Of Africa.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm pretty sure that Universal doesn't have the overseas rights to The Deer Hunter. I have Erin Brockovich from Europe which is a very good transfer and is coded to play in all regions. Also, The Elephant Man is a great release as well.

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
The UK releases of "Wild At Heart", "Mr. Bean's Holiday" and "Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason" are all very Good. (All Universal)

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
The UK release of Brian De Palma's Obsession has no U.S. release planned (although the Arrow edition is thankfully region-free, and comes with a great booklet reproducing Paul Schrader's original screenplay). There's also the special edition of Creepshow I'm holding out for.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Paramount released The Italian Job full of extras in the UK, some new, while there has been no word of a R1 release.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Both McHale's Navy movies have been released in Australia through Madman. There are no extras but the picture is looking as good as it ever has. Also Witchfinder General is on blu-ray in the UK. No extras. Some of the extra footage that was added is not as good as the rest of the picture. Also Five Million Years to Earth will be released in the UK in September. However it will likely be released under the British title Quatermass and the Pit rather than the American title, Five Million Miles to Earth.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The Japanese Blu-Ray of The Producers ( the musical version ) has first-rate picture and sound and is region-free. Sony/Columbia owns it in Japan; Universal owns it in North America.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Originally Posted by Cinescott

I have a couple of UK imports in my collection that are very nice Blu-rays with regard to image quality, and yet no foreseeable release in the US? Interestingly, both are Universal titles: The Deer Hunter and Smokey and the Bandit.

Just wanting to check, is the Smokey & The Bandit Blu-ray region free and usable on standard US players? Just one of my guilty pleasure movies, so I'd love to be able to pick it up.

Thanks

Ray

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The Innocents Peeping Tom Zulu City Lights The Gold Rush Mulholland Drive Wild at Heart

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
FrancisP said:
Both McHale's Navy movies have been released in Australia through Madman. There are no extras but the picture is looking as good as it ever has. Also Witchfinder General is on blu-ray in the UK. No extras. Some of the extra footage that was added is not as good as the rest of the picture. Also Five Million Years to Earth will be released in the UK in September. However it will likely be released under the British title Quatermass and the Pit rather than the American title, Five Million Miles to Earth.
Five Million Miles to Earth is a quirky, strange movie, with some really bad special effects. Yet, when I've seen it on the tube, I've been unable to stop watching it. I think I'll be watching for this one. I wonder if there were different cuts for the UK and US?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i think the title being discussed is 5 MILLION years TO EARTH....i think. The other that is being mingled here might be 20 MILLION miles TO EARTH. b

FrancisP

Screenwriter
bob kaplan said:
i think the title being discussed is 5 MILLION years TO EARTH....i think. The other that is being mingled here might be 20 MILLION miles TO EARTH. b
Five Million Miles to Earth is the one where a spaceship is found buried under London. It was part of the Quatermass series. Generally it is less expensive to go through the country than to buy a disc imported into the US. The only thing is that this will be released under its British title, Quatermass and the Pit.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
FrancisP said:
Five Million Miles to Earth is the one where a spaceship is found buried under London. It was part of the Quatermass series. Generally it is less expensive to go through the country than to buy a disc imported into the US. The only thing is that this will be released under its British title, Quatermass and the Pit.
Nope, it's Five Million *Years* To Earth. The spaceship was buried under an underground (subway) station in London that was undergoing repairs. This has been a favorite of mine since I first saw it at a drive-in theater back in the early '70's. TCM ran it a month or two ago and I still have it on my DVR.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Originally Posted by Cinescott

Thanks! Already have it ordered along with the original Italian Job that I'd been meaning to get. Too bad they haven't gotten Bandit 2 on Blu-ray yet, as I like that one quite a bit too. But after that they lost me, I love Jerry Reed & Jackie Gleason, but 3 just couldn't hold my interest and let's just not really get into 4. Wow, kinda like the Superman movies, 1 & 2 really fun, then really sliding for 3 & 4......Hmm....

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
The English Patient from Canada is a really nice bluray. I bought it for only 9.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks