What's new

what is your favorite show from the 90s (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Any of the Trek series that were airing at the time (TNG, DS9, VOY). Apart from these, probably Charmed, which began in 1998 and Roswell, which began in 1999. I watched a couple of other shows (Friends, Mad About You, Seinfeld, etc.) but they are not my favorites from that decade.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure I'll forget something but, in alphabetical order, The Larry Sanders Show, Millennium, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Twin Peaks and The X-Files. For my money, those shows helped pave the way for the great shows that came in the 2000's.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I don't have many 90's shows in my collection but here's the ones that I have, all favorites among my total DVD sets:

Earth 2 my #1 from the 90's

Dark Skies

Lois and Clark

Mike Hammer (Stacy Keach, his 2nd series)

The Pretenter

Sinatra (miniseries)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Oh I liked all that Fox/WB sort of thing that was going on back then. Very few sitcoms, but I liked the one hour shows. On dvd or vhs I have: Beverly Hills 90210 Melrose Place Roswell Popular 3rd Rock from the Sun Twin Peaks Ally McBeal Buffy Angel Savannah ...and then some. There's still shows I haven't gotten around to on dvd like 7th Heaven, Charmed, Sabrina and Dawson's Creek--all much loved around here.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
For a show to appear on this list it had to have had the initial airing *during* the 90's. The other qualifier is I had to like a show enough to tape it if I were going to miss the live airing. When it comes to broadcast TV I lean toward comedy (sit-com) as the list will show. However, a *good* sci-fi show will win *every* time! I only watched X-Files a couple of times when it aired and never got into it. However, I've purchased the first 2 seasons on DVD to give it another try. That said... here's my list: Earth 2 - Quite possibly my favorite from that decade. Another in the long list of quality, intelligent sci-fi shows cancelled due to declining ratings apparently caused by poor treatment from "the suits". Of course it could simply be the average viewer doesn't understand intelligent sci-fi. The others in no particular order are: That 70's Show (reminds me of my mis-spent youth so much it hurts) Northern Exposure Herman's Head (I think I'm one of 3 people who actually watched this one) Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (Western, sci-fi, adventure, Bruce Campbell. What more do you need? The logical inheritor to the "Wild, Wild West" that should have had a longer run.) Cybill Pinky and the Brain (although I discovered this one via DVD only a couple of years ago) The Drew Carey Show Third Rock from the Sun (I though it was fairly insipid the first few episodes but watched because "nothing else" was on. It became a favorite.) Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (next to "The Adventures of Superman" the best Superman available) Star Trek Voyager (even after it Borgified I stayed with it and still like it better than TNG) Wings Spin City Frasier Diagnosis: Murder Everybody Loves Raymond NewsRadio (next to WKRP, the best radio based TV show ever) Dharma & Greg Futurama Becker Charmed (one of a very small group of sci-fi/fantasy type shows my wife will watch) And I just realized that I have DVDs of almost all of these. Most are complete up to what's currently available.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i do not have a favourite, but i do have several shows that i like - see below 1. George Carlin Show 2. Get a Life 3. Seinfeld 4. Early edition 5. Silk Stalkings 6. Melrose Place 7. Pacific Blue 8. La Femme Nikita 9. ROC 10. The Simpsons (early on, like S1-S14) The 1990s was start of th reality crap, like survivor. I reduced my tv watching dramatically after more and more reality crap was thrown on the tube.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My "favs" included Star Trek: Deep Space 9 Star Trek: Voyager Frasier Seinfeld Law and Order While I didn't view "Babylon 5" until just recently (via DVD), I have to admit that seasons 2,3, and 4 were outstanding and probably merited my attention back then.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yes, Babylon 5 is a wonderful show. And I only began viewing it within the past year or so. We're currently working our way through the fourth season. Some shows escaped me when they first aired as I was busy with graduate school. Younger1968 brought up a show that I forgot to list -- La Femme Nikita. That was easily my favorite show on USA, and one of my favorites from the decade.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
These are some of the favorite 1990's shows that we own and love: 1. La Femme Nikita (1997) Entire Series 2. Millennium (1996) Entire Series 3. Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (1993) Entire Series + the 2 TV "reunion" movies. 4. Highlander - The Series (1992) Entire Series 5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997) Entire Series 6. Hercules the Legendary Journeys (1995) Entire Series + the separate "Xena Trilogy" release (which had x-tra scenes that were cut in the tv broadcasts) 7. Xena Warrior Princess (1995) Entire Series 8. Silk Stalkings (1991) The first 5 seasons 9. Angel (1999) Entire series 10. First Wave (1998) (Just the first season so far) 11. Profiler (1996) Entire Series 12. The Adventures of Sinbad (1996) (Corny but fun. Just the first season so far) 13. Dracula: The Series (1990) Entire series 14. Poltergeist: The Legacy (1996) Entire Series (First season legit release, remaining seasons from alternate sources.) 15.) Keeping up Appearances (1990) The full "bucket" oops, bouquet 16.) Midsomer Murders (1997) We have several of the boxsets and are trying to purchase them in episode order which is a nightmare. This is only what we have so far (that I can think of) but would love to pick up Cadfael, Star Trek - Voyager, X-Files, News Radio and a few others as our budget allows....

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Some of my Favorates: Early Edition JAG Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman The Pretender The Promised Land Star Trek: Voyager Touched by an Angel Walker, Texas Ranger

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This is a really tough question because I just didn't watch much current TV in the 90's. There were a couple of shows that started up in the late 80's that I could quickly add. The Wonder Years and In the Heat of the Night being two biggies. But since those don't qualify I'll have to go with Lois & Clark and 7th Heaven (although I thought that second one jumped the shark early and I only followed it for a couple of years).

Oh, I could add Road to Avonlea as I just looked it up and it did start in January of 1990 according to IMDB. It was a great family show in the vein of Little House on the Prairie. I've heard good things about Earth 2 and will get around to viewing that one soon, but overall the 90's were pretty lean for me.

Gary "I need to give Diagnosis Murder a look as I generally like those type of shows" O.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Here are my favorites from the 90s: Northern Exposure (A favorite of mine for any decade!) Due South Early Edition (Come on Paramount, get those last 2 seasons out!) Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (My favorite Trek series of all!) Star Trek: Voyager The Pretender The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (Such a shame to have only lasted one season!) That 70s Show That's about all I can think of. Funny but there are about twice that number of shows that I love from 2000 and on and I've always considered myself a classic TV fan more than anything! There have been some great shows in the last 10 years or so! I think we need a favorite shows of the 2000s thread!

Wezzo

Second Unit
The 90s is perhaps my favourite TV decade.. certainly my favourite sitcom decade. The Simpsons ER Frasier King of the Hill Seinfeld Friends South Park Buffy The X-Files The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Sports Night Twin Peaks NewsRadio Mad About You Home Improvement Ally McBeal Hey Arnold My So-Called Life Rugrats Third Rock From The Sun Northern Exposure Due South Roseanne Oz Daria Becker Started in the late 90s but aired most episodes in the 2000s: Futurama Angel The West Wing The Sopranos Everybody Loves Raymond Family Guy The PJs ..and that's just US shows. Great decade IMO.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Wezzo said:
The 90s is perhaps my favourite TV decade.. certainly my favourite sitcom decade. The Simpsons ER Frasier King of the Hill Seinfeld Friends South Park Buffy The X-Files The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Sports Night Twin Peaks NewsRadio Mad About You Home Improvement Ally McBeal Hey Arnold My So-Called Life Rugrats Third Rock From The Sun Northern Exposure Due South Roseanne Oz Daria Becker Started in the late 90s but aired most episodes in the 2000s: Futurama Angel The West Wing The Sopranos Everybody Loves Raymond Family Guy The PJs ..and that's just US shows. Great decade IMO.
You have a great list, but 1990s was not one of favourites for tv shows. I prefer 1960s/1970s and even 1980s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks