Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

The Egyptian Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 of 131 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 23 2011 - 12:19 PM

They answered your email saying they don't ship to the US? That's weird indeed. Didn't someone mention a shipping cost of $15 to the US, here in a previous post?.
In my post #108 I said:
They appear to ship to all European countries (Storbritannien for UK), but that's it.
I thought I'd made it clear they didn't ship outside Europe; sorry if I didn't.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#122 of 131 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted November 26 2011 - 01:45 PM

You could wait, maybe these movies will be released by Twilight Time in the US (you could try asking in their FB). Or you could wait until they pop up in eBay. Or you could have them shipped to some friend in Europe, and they would ship them to you. I wouldn't mind doing it but I don't think you'll take nicely to the added shipping costs. I've sent registered packages to the US before, and it's up to 12 or 15.5 Euros, depending on weight (and it could be more than that if it weighs more than 1 kg). Then it could get taxed by your US customs, I guess.
Thank you so much, Javier. I think I may have found someone who will ship them to me. It will be a bit of a roundabout way of doing things, but I'll be glad to have them in the end. Hell, I'd pay the $39 for most of these titles if they were released by Twilight Time. I also hope that an Ebay store does pop up in the future from Sweden or somewhere in Europe that sells these.

#123 of 131 OFFLINE   Valaquenta

Valaquenta

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 26 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi Regarding The Egyptian if you're located outside Europe (EU), I believe it is possible to order the The Egyptian at least from the following link - The item is not in stock as I'm writing this, but problaly will be in a fortnight or so. I myself haven't bought anything from www.laserdisken.dk since they here in Denmark have a reputation of having a wide selection of unobtainable movies but also for being particulary pricey: Before you start ordering anything you should email them just to confirm that they indeed to ship to the US. Regarding freight you must expect minimum 80 dkr. (15 US$). You will have to deal with the following pros and cons: Cover: The blu-ray will naturally be delivered with a Danish cover (strange letters) and for a collector this migt not be the best solution. Transfer: I'm not entirely sure that the transfer is the same one at used by Screen Archives Entertainment. I have bougt a couple of dvd (How The West Was Won AKA The Macahans 1977-1979) manufactured by Soul Media and the transfer was not fully what I had expected Subtitles: You should expect subtitles for the different Nordic languages, but do not expect susbtitles for the hearing impaired. Extras: For a collector extras in the form of audio commentary, a booklet or anything like it might be the buying trigger, but don't expect such luxuries since Europeans in general don't get that kind of stuff the way the Americans do. You could of course just wait until www.amazon.co.uk have the product in stock since they for sure ships to the US. I believe someone else mentioned David & Bathsheba: Regards Valaquenta

#124 of 131 OFFLINE   Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted November 27 2011 - 02:44 AM

Like Jess I have bought a few of the Danish company Soul Media's products over the past few years, largely DVDs, and quality have been so-so depending of course on the sources available to them. The one Blu-ray title I did purchase was their release of Red Scorpion and that was unfortunately in 1080i50Hz (and Region B locked as well) with a less than stellar transfer so a slight word of caution. People inquiring about their products should possibly sit tight, awaiting feedback/reviews, before going through the hassle of importing and paying expensive shipping costs if the product is less than what you expected. Buying from Twilight Time / SAE may just be the wiser route.

#125 of 131 OFFLINE   ShowsOn

ShowsOn

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted November 27 2011 - 05:48 AM

The Australian DVD of The Barbarian and the Geisha that I have looks great, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Blu-ray looks even better. It would probably be exactly the same transfer, but from the HD master.

#126 of 131 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted December 30 2011 - 05:25 AM

DAVID AND BATHSHEBA supplier link: http://www.discshop...._ray_dvd/P95251
I can't work out whether they ship internationally but this is one which I really want.

I got DAVID AND BATHSHEBA and, sadly, it wasn't worth getting. Picture quality is not much better than the DVD. I also got Soul Media's THE EGYPTIAN (it wasn't worth buying just one disc due to hefty postage charges) which is better, but not as good as the Twilight Time version. It actually looks like an earlier mastering with left/right movement of the picture in places. Neither disc has any extras. Soul Media discs obvously need to be treated with extreme caution - I won't be buying any more.

#127 of 131 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts

Posted December 30 2011 - 03:40 PM

I got DAVID AND BATHSHEBA and, sadly, it wasn't worth getting. Picture quality is not much better than the DVD. I also got Soul Media's THE EGYPTIAN (it wasn't worth buying just one disc due to hefty postage charges) which is better, but not as good as the Twilight Time version. It actually looks like an earlier mastering with left/right movement of the picture in places. Neither disc has any extras. Soul Media discs obvously need to be treated with extreme caution - I won't be buying any more.
Thank you for that warning. So far I haven't ordered any of their product . . . and now I don't think I will in the future.

#128 of 131 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,940 posts

Posted February 04 2012 - 09:17 PM

Twilight Time: Thanks for making this available. What a fascinating movie! It's a compelling moral journey that took quite a few twists and turns. What great production values. I've imagined for years what it would be like to live during Akhenaten's time in Egypt, and this nearly forgotten film gives a really good feel for it. This is another "It's expensive but worth it" blu-ray. Wonderful PQ. Fine AQ. And a film itself that for me will linger on in the memory and be worth watching again someday...

#129 of 131 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,782 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 04 2012 - 11:12 AM

I've had this for over a year & only just got around to watching it. It looks really good, I was taken by the colour design, it's all blues & golds, hardly are green to speak of & not much rich red, when it does appear it seems to denote power. The Pharaoh wears a red band, & then Victure Mature wears a red cloak when he's captain of the guards. And that fantastic shot of Nefer in her garden, she's wearing blue & gold & the background is exactly the same blue & gold. They don't seen to give colour that much thought these days, unless it's to wind a bit of it out!

#130 of 131 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,940 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 11:08 AM

This is still one of my favorite blu-rays of a movie from the 1950s. The PQ is practically perfect (a you-are-there-opening-night-blu-ray), and the production values and philosophical speculation are not just intriguing, but emotionally moving as well. What a treasure Twilight Time has given us with this title. If you enjoy films from the 50s, you owe it to yourself to buy this one before they sell out...

#131 of 131 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,776 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 15 2012 - 01:52 PM

I agree. So far, this is the zenith of transfers from Twilight Time of their Fox efforts with Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machine and Swamp Water following closely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users