What's new

Blu-ray Review The Egyptian Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Justin,

Welcome to the forum!

There's a key to the left of your keyboard marked 'Caps Lock'.
Could you, please, give it some attention?

Thanks for understanding!

Cees

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
M90GM said:
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE BLU RAY EGYPTIAN IS REGION LOCKED? IT SEEMS IT IS ONLY AVAILABLE FROM SCREEN ARCHIVE, CORRECT? ALSO WARNER ARCHIVE IS LISTED AS RELEASING THE LONG AWAITED MGM CINEMASCOPE HIT THE STUDENT PRINCE BUT ONLY THROUGH MOVIES UNLIMITED - NOT AVAILABLE ON AMAZON OR EVEN ON WB SHOP ARCHIVE. ANYBODY HAVE ANY FURTHER INFO?
Its available on TCM's web site - http://shop.tcm.com/product.asp?sku=D59276

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
The Egyptian Blu-ray is definitely region free as it works in my Blu-ray player when it is set to Region B or C. Which suggests the disc has been encoded for all regions, or it simply doesn't have region coding at all.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
eric scott richard said:
My copy has already shipped. I've heard that people are getting theirs rather quickly, so hopefully I won't have to wait too much longer!
My copy shipped on the 11th, and I received it in Australia on the 20th.

I received my copy today! I won't get to watch it all the way through until tomorrow night, but from what I spot checked it is beautiful!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
eric scott richard said:
I received my copy today! I won't get to watch it all the way through until tomorrow night, but from what I spot checked it is beautiful!
You will be pleased. You will not regret paying the high price. You will hope that Twilight Time release more Fox movies on Blu-ray.
How do I know? Because that was how I re-acted!
Like most sensible people who have been damaged by the economic slump, I hesitated before stumping up the money but now that I have seen this BRD, I'm more than content. The wound to my finances will heal quickly. The BRD will be with me for a long, long time.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Robin9
You will not regret paying the high price.
To each his own, and I'm very glad you're happy with it. I would impulse blind buy if it were reasonably priced but I just cannot justify THAT artificially high a price for a catalog title, no matter what. I would hate myself for it. For $40 retail and no chance of discounts, its about what I paid for the GWTW big box.

Its not even a question of having the money, its the question of feeling cheated by someone else's business model. Again, I'm glad those of you have pulled the trigger are happy with it and consider it worth the money, but this is one I will just have to do without.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My sentiments exactly. I would love to own it, but I won't pay that price. I am one who feels buyer's remorse when I feel I have overspent, or when I find something on sale for half the price I paid for it.
Will Krupp said:
To each his own, and I'm very glad you're happy with it.  I would impulse blind buy if it were reasonable priced but I just cannot justify THAT artificially high a price for a catalog title, no matter what.  I would hate myself for it.  For $40 retail and no chance of discounts, its about what I paid for the GWTW big box. Its not even a question of having the money, its the question of feeling cheated by someone else's business model.  Again, I'm glad those of you have pulled the trigger are happy with it and consider it worth the money, but this is one I will just have to do without.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
My sentiments exactly.
Same here. Will's post is almost word for word one I was intending to post, right down to the comparative reference to the GWTW set.
When this title was first rumored/announced before any details, I looked it up and got very excited to get a chance to see it in a quality way right off the bat. Even if the lowest street price was a $25 (+ s/h), $5 more than my basic cut-off price, I would have likely ordered it.
I'm not averse to paying $40 for a good quality Bd of a film I already love (and I could rattle off a dozen titles right now I would gladly pay that for a limited edition copy), but $40 is just not 'blind buy' pricing. That's strictly for fans.
I was getting ready a few days ago to place an order and toss in a few other titles to leverage the cost of s/h- but I hesitated and the more I mulled it over, the less enthusiasm I found. At this point, I'm happy to have saved the $40+ and will put that back in the budget towards future releases I know I do want.
I'm am happy though the release turned out well for it's fans. It's good that the people that wanted it most can enjoy it.

I finished it today. I loved it! It has everything that I look for in a good old fashioned Hollywood epic. Jean Simmons was so beautiful in this (as always.) The colors were spectacular, and the sound was magnificent. It is really a first class restoration. So glad I have this in my collection, and I will be one of the few.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh yeah, if "The Egyptian" were my favorite movie, undoubtedly I'd spring for it. I have purchased my personal favorite movie, "Mary Poppins", a whopping seven times, the first time in 1984 on VHS for which I paid $84.95!
Paul_Scott said:
I'm not averse to paying $40 for a good quality Bd of a film I already love (and I could rattle off a dozen titles right now I would gladly pay that for a limited edition copy), but $40 is just not 'blind buy' pricing. That's strictly for fans.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
john a hunter said:
There is no scene selection but you can access a chapter by just punching in the number so that's not really a problem. Much more of a problem was that whoever decided on the chapter stops didn't seem to watch the film first so they jump up in the middle of a sequence for no reason whatsoever missing obvious access points.
I'm surprised no one has commented on this. For a limited edition release, hell, for a $15 blu in the bargain section, I would expect a chapter menu and I would expect them logically placed. It cannot cost that much to have a chapter menu.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I honestly couldn't care less where the chapter stops are placed or whether or not there is a chapter menu. I only watch movies start to finish. I don't jump around in the disc.
Johnny Angell said:
I'm surprised no one has commented on this. For a limited edition release, hell, for a $15 blu in the bargain section, I would expect a chapter menu and I would expect them logically placed. It cannot cost that much to have a chapter menu.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 'Limited Edition' nature of this release could be key; I expect others are watching to see how it fares. Indeed, in the UK Eureka have slapped a 'Limited Edition' tag on two of their upcoming titles - Touch of Evil and Silent Running - though they've admitted that they aren't strictly 'limited' to any specific number and they haven't hiked their price as a result. It just great marketing - 'quick, get 'em now, before it's too late...'
Expect more.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
John Hodson said:
The 'Limited Edition' nature of this release could be key; I expect others are watching to see how it fares. Indeed, in the UK Eureka have slapped a 'Limited Edition' tag on two of their upcoming titles - Touch of Evil and Silent Running - though they've admitted that they aren't strictly 'limited' to any specific number and they haven't hiked their price as a result. It just great marketing - 'quick, get 'em now, before it's too late...'
Expect more.
Well I'd think it's hard work selling Blu-rays of old movies these days, so I'm all for great marketing, it works for soundtrack CD's. There's so few BD released that I want to buy (I love 50's & 60's), so if something I must have is released, I'll order it straight off. I'm so glad I bought this BD (the pain of the price is already fading!). I hope Fox announce Cleopatra before too long, but you never know, they might not release it at all.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
After the "now you see it; now you don't" Disney limited edition release of Dr. Syn, one should probably take the threat of a limited edition seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks