Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Let the buying begin... 2011 B&N Criterion sale (50% off) begins Tuesday, July 12

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 of 117 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,971 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 09:48 AM

Nothing else to add.

#2 of 117 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,090 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 09:50 AM

Schweet!!!

Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#3 of 117 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,147 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 07 2011 - 10:26 AM

Time to make out my list. Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 117 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,076 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 07 2011 - 10:27 AM

Thank God.  Seems like FOREVER since the last one!

#5 of 117 montrealfilmguy

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor

• 541 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 03:16 PM

i made a somewhat conservative list of titles as i'm not a blind buy kind o' guy.Although,i did for one here after seeing that series on youtube called :3 reasons (pertaining to the Criterions ) The release of Criterion 's 8 1/2 was nothing short of spectacular,but since i see it as Fellini's masterpiece and an homage to filmmakers everywhere,i have nooooo trouble double-dipping on this one. Wings of desire Days of heaven and my one blind buy,Amacord,a buddy of mine told me the story and it seems to be well in my Fellini kind of tastes. Boy was i surprised to see Alvaro Vitali in this clip,and he seems to be a huge part of the film That film looks to me like,although the resulting film is probably one of Fellini's best,it was a pure joy to actually be part of it. There is a " joie-de-vivre " kind of feel about it.hence the blind buy. I haven't seen many Fellinis yet,maybe the guy is growing on me. The next one i want to watch is I Vitelloni (1953 ) This sale is on till August 2nd ?

#6 of 117 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 04:11 PM

Looks like I'll finally be picking up Kiss Me Deadly. :)

#7 of 117 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,076 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 08 2011 - 12:30 AM

Yes indeed, that's #1 for me.  Fortunately, I've already acquired some other recent releases thanks to Amazon's sale a couple of months ago.  That takes some of the pressure off and lets me catch up on a few older items that have been on my list forever.

#8 of 117 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,665 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 08 2011 - 02:47 AM

I noticed that Amazon has dropped prices on some Criterion titles this morning. Blow Out was a little over $20 when I looked this morning.

#9 of 117 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted July 09 2011 - 02:15 AM

Hope I can get Something Wild during this sale.

#10 of 117 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,971 posts

Posted July 09 2011 - 08:12 AM

Hope I can get Something Wild during this sale.

Jason, B&N allows you to special order Criterion titles that are not in stock, and will give you the same 50%. I peeked in the box at our store here in Maine, and they had two copies of SOMETHING WILD. They will hold a title for three days for you if they have it in stock, or two weeks if it's special ordered (although I think the sale only runs for two weeks or so). They're very lenient about this, making the sale all the more a goldmine.

#11 of 117 montrealfilmguy

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor

• 541 posts

Posted July 09 2011 - 10:48 AM

Oh yes,knew i forgot one. Put De Palma's Blow-out on the list too.

#12 of 117 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,969 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 10 2011 - 01:58 AM

Extra online coupon codes to decrease the misery. These codes should be available to everybody and does not require being a BN Member. Preorders are not eligible items. I think these are single use per account codes: L7C8F9D 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until July 13, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. T9P8A9P at checkout. 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until August 1, 2011. Note: The following coupon will deduct a percentage off each eligible item (your whole cart) and most importantly can be used multiple times J3M9D8K 10% discount will be applied to ALL eligible items in your cart. Valid to July 19, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. There are some other In-store coupons available to Members, but nothing real exciting -- no 25% off coupons and the $5 off $20 that was so useful in previous sales seems to have been eliminated. $8 off $40+ which eliminates most of regular Blurays though there are a few single movies it should work for plus the boxsets $5 off $50+ total purchase.

#13 of 117 Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 669 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted July 10 2011 - 03:14 AM

Is this in-store only? I'd pick up "Night of the Hunter" and "Diabolique" on blu.
My DVDs

#14 of 117 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 10 2011 - 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

I noticed that Amazon has dropped prices on some Criterion titles this morning. Blow Out was a little over $20 when I looked this morning.

Thanks.  That is one of the titles on my list.  Robinson Crusoe on Mars and The Great Dictator round out the list.

#15 of 117 Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 914 posts

Posted July 10 2011 - 04:05 AM

Wings of Desire, Double Life of Veronique, and possibly 8 1/2
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#16 of 117 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,147 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 10 2011 - 06:28 AM

Just look at my listing and I really don't have that many blu-ray titles from Criterion that I need in my collection.  Besides Kiss Me Deadly and The Great Dictator, I have to wait on preorders like Beauty and the Beast.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#17 of 117 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,969 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 10 2011 - 07:51 AM

Is this in-store only? I'd pick up "Night of the Hunter" and "Diabolique" on blu.

No, it will go online Tuesday morning (occasionally a little early if we are lucky) and begin in store Tuesday at opening bell.

#18 of 117 nealg

nealg

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted July 10 2011 - 09:27 AM

Coupon codes have not been allowed online on Criterion titles in the last few BN Criterion 50% off sales. Store coupons, in-store only.

Extra online coupon codes to decrease the misery. These codes should be available to everybody and does not require being a BN Member. Preorders are not eligible items. I think these are single use per account codes: L7C8F9D 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until July 13, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. T9P8A9P at checkout. 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until August 1, 2011. Note: The following coupon will deduct a percentage off each eligible item (your whole cart) and most importantly can be used multiple times J3M9D8K 10% discount will be applied to ALL eligible items in your cart. Valid to July 19, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. There are some other In-store coupons available to Members, but nothing real exciting -- no 25% off coupons and the $5 off $20 that was so useful in previous sales seems to have been eliminated. $8 off $40+ which eliminates most of regular Blurays though there are a few single movies it should work for plus the boxsets $5 off $50+ total purchase.

#19 of 117 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,969 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 10 2011 - 09:54 AM

I had forgotten about that issue. The codes have worked this week with the B2G1 sale do let's hope it will keep up.

#20 of 117 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 12:54 AM

Online coupon codes do generally work for Criterion titles when it's *not* during their 50% Criterion sale.  They specifically tag all the Criterion titles for that sale so that online coupons won't work -- there are very few exceptions like Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

For those who won't have membership (to get the in-store membership discount, etc.) and are interested in the following few titles (marked at 30%-off MSRP), you might consider buying 3 of them online on one order using the above mentioned 10%-off-total-order coupon code w/ the current B2G1 sale, which ends today, instead:

* Solaris

* Diabolique

* Kiss Me Deadly

* Great Dictator

That would run you ~$16.80 each (before any applicable sales tax), and you'd qualify for free shipping whether you're a member or not.  You'd have to have B&N membership and shop in-store to possibly beat that during the 50% sale.

Also, if you have a Discover Card, you can get 10% cashback w/ it using their ShopDiscover portal.  There are probably other cashback/rewards deals you can do otherwise, eg. get double points for Best Buy's My Reward Zone via their shopping mall portal.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users