Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Charlie's Angels Season 5

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 of 69 ONLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. This will be the ONLY time I go ahead and purchase a Complete Series set having previously bought the season sets because this show means so much to me. We've waited FOREVER to see it to completion and I really love the box art. Looking forward to seeing the final season on DVD at last. Besides, Amazon's pre-order price for this is only $46, which is only $7 more than the list price for the 2011 remake MOD release containing what...8 episodes? I would have paid $100 to get Season 5 on its own so this isn't a real rip-off by the studio. I do agree with all the complaints though about having to double-dip. I was not happy when ALL IN THE FAMILY was announced a few weeks ago and found out the rare pilots are NOT to be released as a separate disc for those of us who supported all NINE season releases to see that show to completion. Shout Factory is asking $140 for the AITF series set, which I cannot justify.

For $46, I'm really worried about the way the discs are packaged inside the box. They may just be stacked on a spindle inside there with no housing or inner case. I know that Sanford and Son, Good Times, Married With Children are all terribly packaged complete series that are cheap in price. If it is packaged properly I'm all for it. I always hated the how radically different each individual box set was. You put them together on shelf, and you would think there are four different seires according to the spine.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#42 of 69 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 03:59 AM

For $46, I'm really worried about the way the discs are packaged inside the box. They may just be stacked on a spindle inside there with no housing or inner case. I know that Sanford and Son, Good Times, Married With Children are all terribly packaged complete series that are cheap in price. If it is packaged properly I'm all for it. I always hated the how radically different each individual box set was. You put them together on shelf, and you would think there are four different seires according to the spine.

I can not see charlie's angels selling for $46. I can see it priced at 95-110 for the set. You may be able to get the complete set on sale in a few years when price typically drop.

#43 of 69 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 04:48 AM

I can not see charlie's angels selling for $46. I can see it priced at 95-110 for the set. You may be able to get the complete set on sale in a few years when price typically drop.

That really is the Amazon pre-order price: http://www.amazon.co...complete series You can see that the other seasons are discounted to about $10 too. Obviously they feel this is where the price needs to be to sell quantity.

#44 of 69 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 04:58 AM

Well, i am shocked at the price! If i can get that in Canada then i will give away my S1-S4 sets

#45 of 69 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 22 2012 - 06:19 AM

But you forget... Sony does their complete series sets dirt cheap, in cardboard packaging with all the discs packed on a spindle. So, 46 bucks does sound right if you compare it to other longrunning Sony series like King of Queens or Married With Children. And the price looks even better when you consider that they're printing new S5 discs to go with the set instead of being able to just re-use the old ones.

#46 of 69 ONLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 06:23 AM

But you forget... Sony does their complete series sets dirt cheap, in cardboard packaging with all the discs packed on a spindle. So, 46 bucks does sound right if you compare it to other longrunning Sony series like King of Queens or Married With Children. And the price looks even better when you consider that they're printing new S5 discs to go with the set instead of being able to just re-use the old ones.

Yup. That is what I'm thinking too. This may have an atrractive outer case but inside will be a pity.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#47 of 69 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 06:33 AM

Yup. That is what I'm thinking too. This may have an atrractive outer case but inside will be a pity.

I think the best packaged Sony complete series I've ever seen was the one released by Shout... The Complete Barney Miller. The box was still fairly small thanks to the use of cases that stored 6 or so discs per case, and best of all, everything was protected much better than just stacking the discs on top of each other. Hopefully, Sony will go that route with their upcoming complete series releases instead of continuing with just stacking the discs.

#48 of 69 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 08:22 AM

I just want them to release S5 separately as I held off buying S1-S4 fo this exact reason, so let's hope the studio does the right thing and offers an alternative from having to buy the entire series, especially for those that got the first four seasons already and make S5 a seperate item.

#49 of 69 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 08:40 AM

I just want them to release S5 separately as I held off buying S1-S4 fo this exact reason, so let's hope the studio does the right thing and offers an alternative from having to buy the entire series, especially for those that got the first four seasons already and make S5 a seperate item.

Yeah, but at 46 bucks for the entire series, one could sell off their S1-S4 sets for five bucks apiece, use the money to help fund buying the complete series set, and still probably wind up paying around the same price, or less for the entire series than the single S5 set would cost. However, I do agree that a nice, cheap, bare bones S5 set for people who don't want to go through the hassle of selling stuff off or re-buying sets would be nice to see.

#50 of 69 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,134 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 02:46 PM

Forget it. Unless season 5 is released individually, I'm not double dipping for this. Sorry, I like my individual season sets. I know Sony does this on the cheap. I don't feel like rewatching the entire series just to make sure the discs are playable and then hassle of selling off the extras. To much of a pain.

#51 of 69 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,915 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 22 2012 - 02:56 PM

I just bought Season 4 last week!  I figure it only took a few years for Season 4 to come out.  5 will come out as an individual season eventually.

#52 of 69 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,764 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 05:19 AM

I will not be buying the complete series just to get season 5. I bought all 4 previous seasons. Will wait for a season 5 set. I am still working my way thoriugh season 2 anyway.

#53 of 69 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,134 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 06:26 AM

If by some slim chance that I do get this, I will take out the season 5 discs and sell off the rest of the set. I won't get rid of my previous sets. They are too nicely packaged and the chance that this is going to be some super cheap packaging really worries me.

#54 of 69 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 06:58 AM

http://www.charliesangels.com/ The webmaster at Charliesangels.com states the packaging contains over 80 photos which means it can't be one of those cheap cases like GOOD TIMES, SOAP etc. came in when Sony released the Complete Series of those. You can see the front of the box at the above link.

#55 of 69 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 07:02 AM

http://www.charliesangels.com/ The webmaster at Charliesangels.com states the packaging contains over 80 photos which means it can't be one of those cheap cases like GOOD TIMES, SOAP etc. came in when Sony released the Complete Series of those. You can see the front of the box at the above link.

The Barney Miller style packaging makes more sense with "over 80 photos" mentioned.

#56 of 69 OFFLINE   Tony Int

Tony Int

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 08:21 AM

I have been a fan of all of the Angels since they started in 1976, however the only way I would purchase season 5 (or the complete series box) is if the Season 5 Premiere episode was in its original 3 hour format. The original airing had the first story (Julie's intro) running about 2hours and 15min (with commercials, etc) and then they were off to Hawaii and the next 45 minutes were about Kris getting kidnapped. The season 5 premiere syndicated episodes cut out a lot of footage from the Julie intro segment to fit into 2 one hour syndicated blocks. Another reason for wanting the original airing, is each season premiere of Charlies Angels had an opening credit sequence unique to that premiere episode. The season 5 has been shown only once during that original airing. Also the original title was "Of Street Models and Hawaiian Angels".

#57 of 69 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 08:55 AM

It'll depend on the packaging whether I get this release or not, I don't have any of the other seasons yet so maybe it'll be worth it. Maybe not, no cardboard stuff for me that is. Could be a R2 release is coming too, that one might have subtitles I believe R1 Sony doesn't.

#58 of 69 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 23 2012 - 11:24 AM

I am definitely getting this! Love my angels!

#59 of 69 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 12:35 PM

ME-TOO in Chicago have been airing the Season 5 episodes but in whacked-out order as of late, and managed to tape 12 of the 17 episodes they aired but would rather have them compete as a Season 5 box set, just another option for all those who spent their hard-earned money to get the first four seasons, is all I'm saying.

#60 of 69 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 03:13 PM

For $46 I'm likely to just say screw it and order the set. Just annoyed that they couldn't be bothered to release the last, truncated season separately especially because the people that would most want it are the people that already bought the last 4 (and season 4 of this show was absolutely atrocious to me). 17 eps should have an msrp of $30 and a street price around $20- so $26 extra for material I just don't need. Not cool, Sony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users