What's new

HALLOWEEN II & III ARE COMING TO BLU (There Is, However, Bad News) (3 Viewers)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
BLOODY DISGUSTING: Granted they're hardly candidates for the AFI Top 100 Horror Films Of All Time (well, I'd argue III is...), but it's painful how poorly the majority of the Halloween sequels have been treated on DVD, most of them given lousy transfers and/or bare-bones presentations. H20, for example, promises an audio commentary that doesn't actually appear on the disc, and the recent Blu-ray release from Echo Bridge isn't even at the right aspect ratio. Well, Universal owns the first two sequels, and this fall they will be released on Blu-ray - however they will once again be sans bonus material. The real crime, however, is that this time, brand new bonus material ALREADY EXISTS. Read on for details...

Last fall, A&E's Bio channel aired "Halloween: The Inside Story", which assembled pretty much every living principal from the original Halloween, plus some sequel personnel and experts like BadAssDigest's Devin Faraci and, er, me (billed as a "Film Historian"!). Director Phil Nobile intended to cover the sequels in a bit more depth than ended up in the final cut, and thus he got a lot of lengthy interviews SPECIFICALLY on Halloween II and III from Jamie Lee Curtis, John Carpenter, Dean Cundey, Rick Rosenthal and Tommy Lee Wallace. Not only is it rare to get these folks on camera discussing Halloween at all (especially Carpenter, who's just plain talked out on the subject after 30 years), but you have to go back to the time of their release to get ANY of them talking about the sequels in more than passing. So obviously, these interviews - which again, are already shot and edited - would be a true blessing for fans.

In addition to these interviews, there's a lot of footage of Wallace (and myself) doing a Q&A at the New Beverly Cinema at last fall's screening of Halloween III, as well as separate interviews with fans that were in attendance, talking about the film's unusual place in the Halloween series and how it's finally starting to gain appreciation. Plus, Wallace had also agreed to record a new audio commentary for the film. However, when Nobile brought all of this material to Universal for possible inclusion on their planned new Blu-ray discs, they gave him a polite "no thanks". According to Nobile, "their priority is upping picture and sound and 'carrying over' existing bonus features", even though there ARE no existing bonus features. These two films have been released on disc 2-3 times already and there's never been anything beyond some minor "production notes" and the trailers. Halloween II in fact has a different cut of the film that sometimes airs on television (it includes a happier ending in which Jimmy the ambulance driver survives), but none of that material has ever been included on a legitimate release of the film.

So once again, the fans lose out. Nobile says it best: "Though parts of these interviews turned up on Bio's website as 2-minute "webisodes," as a fan it's kind of heartbreaking to know that the full interviews won't be preserved with the films, let alone ever seen by fans." And Universal loses out too; with disc sales ever dwindling due to Netflix streaming and similar options, providing interesting and NEW bonus material is the only surefire way to sell a decent amount of discs. Granted, the improved picture and sound will be nice, but are the majority of fans going to drop 20-30 bucks on a new disc just for an improved transfer? Especially when they've probably already bought these films a couple times before? I know I sure as hell won't; I'll wait until the used DVD store is having a "Buy 2 get 1 free" sale, activity that doesn't put any coin into Universal's pockets.

Hopefully it won't come to that. October is a long way off, so maybe they will come to their senses and realize that including material that already exists (they don't even have to do anything!!! It's already there!) will translate into bigger sales for their discs. If you'd like, send a POLITE email HERE and tell them that you want to see proper special editions for Halloween II and III.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I would hope that at least they'll be offered as a double feature disc.

I know Fangoria did a retrospective on Halloween II a little while back (sometime last year, perhaps) They interviewed Rick Rosenthal for the article and he "neither confirmed nor denied" that he was working on a brand new cut of the movie, supposedly with footage never seen before anywhere (although I don't know where that came from since a new cut was not actually confirmed) I also read something, which obviously turned out to be false, that claimed that Universal's distribution rights to Halloween II was set to expire by now and that Lionsgate was getting them.

But yeah, it's baffling that Universal seems to be actively trying not to do anything with these films. We know that there is significant deleted footage for Halloween II, as it has appeared it the old TV cut of the movie. Rumor also has it that a commentary by Rosenthal already exists but was never used because it was too critical of Carpenter (again though, you would think that Universal could have just edited out any content they were uncomfortable with).

However, if it is any consolation, you can just get the Halloween: 25 Years of Terror documentary, which covers all the films in the series (that existed at the time)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Over at the Digital Bits they announced 30th anniversary HALLOWEEN II for Blu-ray on 9/13. The best part is that as an extra, TERROR IN THE AISLES will be included. :)

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
ahollis said:
Over at the Digital Bits they announced 30th anniversary HALLOWEEN II for Blu-ray on 9/13. The best part is that as an extra, TERROR IN THE AISLES will be included. :)
That's awesome, I love Terror In The Aisles (even though it's just a bunch of movie clips). Looks like we just might get a decent Halloween II release after all.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I freaked when I read this this morning. To have Terror in the Aisles in any format is awesome as it was never released to my knowledge on dvd. A must purchase just for that. Although, I am now saddened to read about the "loss" of the bonus material. Lets hope they come up with something.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Not sure which artwork is the correct one, now. Here's what Amazon is running:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Good that this release seems to be getting at least some bonus material. The "Terror in the Aisles" would be a neat extra even though it's not really related to the film itself (Over at the Bits they are saying they are trying to confirm for sure the inclusion of the "Terror in the Aisles" doc). Still though there's so much more that could be done other than the alternate ending. There's a lot more deleted footage that exists. A commentary would be nice as well. Rosenthal seems perfectly happy to participate in other Halloween related docs. (namely the "25 Years of Terror"). As I indicated above the "25 Years of Terror" is a good companion, but we still need all the deleted scenes and a commentary for a Halloween II release to be definitive. How do you guys feel about the artwork. I guess it was too much to ask for the original poster art. But I guess this isn't too bad for a photoshop job. I like the first one better as it's less polished and the title is more in the original "Halloween" font. But I'm betting the 2nd one is the final version.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
darkrock17 said:
How did Universal get clearance to release Terror in The Aisles?
Is it possible that they had the foresight to license the clips forever back when the movie was made? I know that the common wisdom has always been that licensing was why it wouldn't come to DVD but was that ever officially acknowledged by Universal?
WillG said:
How do you guys feel about the artwork. I guess it was too much to ask for the original poster art. But I guess this isn't too bad for a photoshop job. I like the first one better as it's less polished and the title is more in the original "Halloween" font. But I'm betting the 2nd one is the final version.
It's better than the DVD. Since they never used the one sheet on the DVD releases, I wish they'd bring it back for the Blu-ray but I'm sure they need Michael's mask on the cover rather than a skull Jack-O-Lantern.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is it possible that they had the foresight to license the clips forever back when the movie was made? I know that the common wisdom has always been that licensing was why it wouldn't come to DVD but was that ever officially acknowledged by Universal?
This was a Theatrical film, correct? Isn't it common practice for licensing for theatrical features to generally last indefinitely? And, this is why music licensing generally isn't a problem for movie releases on Home video? (Although, I know that isolated cases do exist where music needs to replaced) Or, for example why the 60's Batman movie can be released but the TV show can't?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
This was a Theatrical film, correct? Isn't it common practice for licensing for theatrical features to generally last indefinitely? And, this is why music licensing generally isn't a problem for movie releases on Home video?
Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking. That must be the case because if they didn't already have the rights, I think it's nearly impossible that they would spend the money to license all the clips again for something that is being relegated to a bonus feature.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
CONFIRMED BY DIGITAL BITS: Anyway, first up today... we've have officially confirmed with Universal that the Terror in the Aisles documentary to be included on their forthcoming Halloween II: 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray (due 9/13) is indeed the 1984 trailer/clips film hosted by Donald Pleasence and Nancy Allen. We're not sure if any changes have been made to the theatrical version (given that some of the films referenced in the piece are owned by other studios), but just know that, yes, it IS the same film. Which I know will be good news to many of you. Dr. Jahnke was certainly excited about it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
You'll have to excuse my lack of Blu-ray knowledge, but will Universal's Blu-ray release of Halloween II be region locked?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
All of Universal's Blu-rays are region-free (http://blurayregioncodes.com/), so I imagine these would follow suit.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Great stuff. Thanks for answering my question.

I preferred the first version of the front cover artwork, but the second version is fine.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
damn right , it should be the witch face dropping, above the children, havent seen an anouncement for III yet

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks