-

Photo
- - - - -

Sybaris' Simple Cinema

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   sybaris

sybaris

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 28 2011 - 12:21 PM

This used to be a garage then a bedroom until I decided to make it my HT room. Just finishing up some detail work so thought I'd post a pic.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Room: 17X15
TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
Soundbar: Yamaha YSP-5100
Sub: HSU VTF2MK3
Lights: Lutron Spacer remote operated

Where the TV is mounted used to be a closet with accordian doors. There was a smaller closet to the left which I kept. I knocked out the wall between the two closets so that I could run the DVR, Sat. Receiver, and BluRay player cables and also get to the TV and soundbar wiring plus it makes a nice hidden storage area. Bulkheads were built around the room for the mini downlights.  It's a nice clean look that I was looking for. Later I might add a couple mahogany panels to the side walls in order to break up their length .

#2 of 5 ONLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,830 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 28 2011 - 07:12 PM

John, it might be "simple" but it looks good.  I like what you did with the cove lighting and putting the gear in the closet.  It has a nice clean look to it.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,922 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 29 2011 - 02:36 AM

I agree - the simplicity and clean lines are nice.

What's your experience been like with the sound bar?  Folks frequently ask about alternatives for better sound without the hassle of wiring full 5.1.  I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   sybaris

sybaris

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Jason

The soundbar sounds great to me but then I'm not an audiophile and these ears aren't getting any younger. The sub is a must and brings it all together. From what I've read I'm lucky in that the room is almost square and the entryway is relatively behind the sound bar so it can take full advantage of unimpeded sound distribution. I don't know this for a fact but I would say that there would be a point of diminishing return with a soundbar when it comes to room size. After all, the speakers in it aren't exactly huge. The only thing I don't like about the Yamaha bar is the HDMI ports. They are in a recess on the unit and face parallel instead of facing out perpendicular to it. The recess isn't long enough to avoid strain on the connectors but I suppose I could use 90 deg connectors or cable that's more flexible.

Regardless, I wanted to have everything recessed and didn't want to mess with individual components of a 5/7.1 system, been there done that. I couldn't have recessed speakers on the inside wall so the bar was well suited for my plans.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,922 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 30 2011 - 01:40 AM

Glad to hear it's working out for you.  Enjoy the system!

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!