Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic BD65 DTS audio problem?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted February 05 2011 - 12:53 PM

A few days ago, I purchased a Panasonic BD65 Bluray player. Audio is running via the optical out into a Harmon Kardon Signature 2.0 pre/pro, which only supports DD and DTS 5.1. With discs with a DTS audio track, I'm getting a lot of distortion in the center channel on louder dialog passages. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm afraid I'll have to return the player and go with a different model.

Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#2 of 9 Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted February 07 2011 - 06:39 AM

The audio signal should be all digital until the receiver decodes it, so it seems unlikely to me that this is a result of defective hardware. I would have to guess that there's a setting that's not set correctly. Also, you might try a different optical cable.

My recommendation would be to go to the AVS Forum thread for your player. Some quick searches might give you the answer, or you could always post a query there. Here's a link:

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1229362

Brian

#3 of 9 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted February 07 2011 - 09:05 AM

It's definitely an odd problem. The optical cable is the same one I've been using on my regular DVD player for years with no problems. As far as a wrong setting goes, well, that's definitely a possibility. I have DD and DTS set to bitstream which, according to Panny, will convert them down to regular DD and DTS from their hi-rez counterparts. My pre/pro is an older model, so I don't suppose it's something with its DTS decoder handling the downgraded DTS, is it? Soundtracks on regular DVDs (including DTS discs) work with no problems. The downgraded DD sound on bluray discs is also fine.

Tim's Essential Music

#4 of 9 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,172 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted February 07 2011 - 02:14 PM

There is a possibility that the older receiver can't handle the higher lossy bitrates for DD (often 640kbps) and DTS (1.5 Mbps).

#5 of 9 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted February 07 2011 - 04:34 PM

Todd, I've done some additional research and I'm thinking that's EXACTLY what the problem is. I swapped for a different BD player today (Sony S370) and still had the problem, even with a different cable. The good news is that I found a workaround on the net that alleviates the problem to almost zero. It'll definitely get me through until next year when I finally upgrade the pre/pro.

Tim's Essential Music

#6 of 9 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 08 2011 - 01:01 AM

If your receiver has the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog inputs, you can get the Panasonic BDP-85 player and use the multi-channel analog outputs, and listen to the HD audio soundtracks that way. Then you won't have to worry about getting a new receiver so fast............. Just a thought.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#7 of 9 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted February 08 2011 - 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Moxley 

If your receiver has the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog inputs, you can get the Panasonic BDP-85 player and use the multi-channel analog outputs, and listen to the HD audio soundtracks that way. Then you won't have to worry about getting a new receiver so fast............. Just a thought.

Ed, I certainly appreciate the thought, but the 5.1 direct in on my pre/pro is currently occupied by a Pioneer 563 universal disc player, and that thing definitely stays.

I'm not necessarily replacing the Sig 2.0 so fast...after all, it's been in service here for ten years and I'll have a good excuse to finally upgrade :)

Tim's Essential Music

#8 of 9 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 08 2011 - 06:06 AM

I have the 563a also, but moved it to the bedroom.

You can do like I did, and get the Oppo BD player. Then you'll have one of the best BD players, plus it's better than the 563a with SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Then, when you get the new receiver, you'll still have one of the best at what you use it for. Posted Image (Thinking out loud)

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#9 of 9 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted February 08 2011 - 12:32 PM

I'll only be able to afford the Oppo if one of the company's kind folks sent me one gratis. Until then, I have what I have...

Tim's Essential Music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users