Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Buying a Record Player

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 LukeWilliam

LukeWilliam

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 03 2011 - 01:31 PM

I am looking into getting a record player sometime soon. I have done a fair bit of research on the web.

I read this post on Yahoo Answers and it scared me a bit:
http://answers.yahoo...13141536AAbGstt

I already knew to stay away from Crosley, but I don't want to scratch up the records I have. I have some old records that I got at Goodwill for next to nothing that I'm not so worried about, but I have some new records of new music such as a 180-gram 33 of Minus the Bear - OMNI.

I don't want to be ruining my new vinyl. I know not to skimp on the player, so I'd be willing to pay between $200 - $300 on a player. What are some good options? Also, I don't really care to transfer my music to mp3, I just want to listen to the vinyl, so I could do without. My main concern is being able to listen to my vinyl safely and at a decent audio quality. Not necessarily 320 kbps CD rips, but still enjoyable.

#2 of 7 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 02:44 AM

Look on ebay for a Thorens - TD160, 165 or a 147.

you can find a good one in your price range.  You can also find a lot of info regarding the care and feeding of a vintage thorens online.

It will most likely come pretty well set up but you should go through the steps to do so anyway.  It's not really hard to do and you will have a much better turntable than if you spent the same amount on a new one.

I got a TD147 off of ebay a couple of years ago and it's been rock solid and sounds very good.

"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#3 of 7 LukeWilliam

LukeWilliam

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that. There is a record shop in town I am kind of praying has one of them models, that would make my day.

#4 of 7 CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted February 05 2011 - 04:50 AM

As someone who grew up in the age of vinyl you need to know the cartridge that you use is just as important if not more important than the turntable.   Some of the things to look for in a turntable are. 
    [*] A tone arm that can be balanced and weight adjusted to meet the specifications of your cartridge. [*] Adjustable speed control to fine tune your exact record speed, usually in the form of a strobe light [*] Dampening device to lower stylus to your record.

Because a Phono Cartridges is also a electromagnetic device they are much like speakers that each can impart their own coloration to the music.   We all tended to try out different Cartridges and different brands had a very loyal following.   I remember having Audio Technical, Shure, Pickering, and Stanton in my collection.   My favorite was made by Audio Technica followed by a Shure V-15.

You also need to realize that if you use one of these older Cartridges you may have problems  connecting it to a modern HT Receiver,  While my Integra has a phono input it does not have a phono pre amp built in. 

#5 of 7 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted February 06 2011 - 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by LukeWilliam 

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that. There is a record shop in town I am kind of praying has one of them models, that would make my day.

By all means try your local shops first!  You may have to go a bit over your budget.  Some local record shops refurbish, setup, and resell turntables ready to go.  That would be great.  Or your local hifi shop may have something nice.

You can find great stuff on your local craigslist if you are knowledgable about vinyl, but since you're new to vinyl you may want to go with something new or already setup for you.  You can ruin your records with a bad setup.

I would recommend the model DP-300F from Denon.  http://usa.denon.com...61-c921f1c7b120  It's a good turntable that won't ruin your records and will play through your existing receiver whether it has a phono input or not.  It's sharp looking, too. Posted Image  Another good option is the Audio Technica AT-120 USB table.  You don't have to use USB with it, it can function as a regular table.

Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#6 of 7 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,602 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 23 2011 - 05:45 AM

I picked up a Rega RP1 last night, and love it! Insanely easy to set up since it's designed for beginners, and sounds amazing. $400 cdn means it's a little expensive, but considering what other Regas cost, and the how great it sounds, I'm more then pleased. Here's a review (not mine) http://www.techradar...1-720000/review
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#7 of 7 bridesmaid

bridesmaid

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 06:11 PM

You can find great stuff on your local craigslist if you are knowledgable junior bridesmaid dresses about vinyl, but since you're new  affordable bridesmaid dresses    to vinyl you may want to go with something new or already setup for you cheap bridesmaids dresses     .  You can ruin your records with a bad setup wholesale bridesmaid dresses .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users