What's new

TCM Film Festival- A Possible Look at future catalog releases ? (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
along with this film fest, there are others throughout the country where a newly restored print is being shown, could this be the future marketing for catalog titles. this years slate has Keaton's "the Cameraman" and while TCM has already release that, there is a good deal of Keaton on blu at the moment, or on its way.

3 new restorations, and many new prints, makes you wonder

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Can you be more specific?

You said,"along with this film fest, there are others throughout the country where a newly restored print is being shown,"

Are you referring to a film fest on the TCM channel or at a city?

I may just be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I just don't see Warner releasing their Keaton MGM films on Blu-ray real soon. While Kino is rolling out the Keaton silents with great success, Keaton is their #1 major draw for their catalog. With Warner they have many more films that would garner greater general interest then The Cameraman and Spite Marriage (though I love them both).

And if Warner is gonna release any silent films on Blu, I'd imagine that a day-and-date release for Greed with the DVD is the best bet (if the DVD even happens....)

However...

When looking at WHV, they have often pulled from their 2-4 disc DVD sets when deciding on what "deep" catalog films to release to Blu. So some that may be on their way (pure speculation on my part):

Around the World in 80 Days (1956) (2-disc SE DVD)

The Band Wagon (2-disc SE DVD)

The Big Red One (2-disc SE DVD)

Bringing Up Baby (2-disc SE DVD)

The Cardinal (2-disc SE DVD)

Chariots of Fire (2-disc SE DVD)

East of Eden (2-disc SE DVD)

Easter Parade (2-disc SE DVD)

Giant (2-disc SE DVD)

Grand Prix (2-disc SE DVD) (HD-DVD released)

The Jazz Singer (1927) (3-disc SE DVD)

Meet Me in St. Louis (2-disc SE DVD)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) (2-disc SE DVD) (HD-DVD released)

New Jack City (2-disc SE DVD)

O Lucky Man! (2-disc SE DVD)

The Outsiders (2-disc SE DVD)

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (2-disc SE DVD)

The Philadelphia Story (2-disc SE DVD)

Prince of the City (2-disc SE DVD)

Rebel without a Cause (2-disc SE DVD)

The Right Stuff (2-disc SE DVD)

Ryan's Daughter (2-disc SE DVD)

Selena (2-disc SE DVD)

Sergeant York (2-disc SE DVD)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (2-disc SE DVD)

Space Jam (2-disc SE DVD)

Strangers on a Train (2-disc SE DVD)

A Streetcar Named Desire (2-disc SE DVD)

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (2-disc SE DVD)

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (2-disc SE DVD)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (2-disc SE DVD)

Yankee Doodle Dandy (2-disc SE DVD)

(List doesn't include titles confirmed to be in the works, like Ben-Hur, Singin' in the Rain and Citizen Kane)

Also single-disc sets where the DVDs were dubbed "Special Editions":

The Bodyguard (1992)

The Broadway Melody

Cimarron (1931)

City of Angels

A Day at the Races

Dennis the Menace (1993)

The Devil's Advocate

Driving Miss Daisy

Free Willy

Grand Hotel

The Iron Giant

The Kid Stays in the Picture

The Life of Emile Zola

Mean Streets

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

A Night at the Opera

A Perfect Murder

Police Academy

Sybil

U.S. Marshalls

Wattstax

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Brandon, are you reading my mind, i have also noticed the trend between the 2 disc sets, and special editions and WB's releases, also need to look at what is or has gone in to moratorium. but i wants specifically speaking about WB. I think that Dodsworth is still control ed by MGM, and i will second a hope for Greed.

out of the list you have the only one i can see as being iffy is The Unbearable Lightness of Being (2-disc SE DVD), while released thru WB, it's still controlled by Saul Zents Co., but i hope to see it soon.

Last year there were films from all the studios, and this year a good mix, along with the showing of Metropolis, Kino gave fair waning that it was on its way .

What i am thinking, just speculation, is that this is the beginning of a great way to market these titles, now the question is how these will be sold, honestly, i miss Circuit City, because thy kept Best Buy in check, i think we are headed to a future of deep catalog titles that are pressed disc exclusively on line, think TCM Vault. Prestige titles will get the in store push, but great films, that are smaller in scale don't always, so along with WB's 2 disc sets, Fox has it's Studio Classics series, and Cinema Classic Collection to dig into (Monroe) and while doing MGM disc could add two important titles The Misfits and Some Like It Hot, Universal has such an unbelievable catalog of Universal/Paramount films just waiting. And while i know every one wants to see( i know i do) Sony/Columbia release LOA, i would like to see them jump in on the best business deal they ever made, Three Stooges, or how about some other classics, Capra, On the Waterfront, From Here to Eternity. if done right catalog is the future of Blu.

if nothing else, if these screening get the suits to notice what the public would like to see, then we need more, so far from announcements it's a great year for catalog titles

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by TonyD

Can you be more specific?

You said,"along with this film fest, there are others throughout the country where a newly restored print is being shown,"

Are you referring to a film fest on the TCM channel or at a city?

I may just be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Ebert has his in Chicago, there is one in Virginia, cant remember the location, but it had a showing of "Wings" sorry i missed it, was out to sea (the Job) at the time.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by dana martin

out of the list you have the only one i can see as being iffy is The Unbearable Lightness of Being (2-disc SE DVD), while released thru WB, it's still controlled by Saul Zents Co., but i hope to see it soon.

True, but Zaentz also controls One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus, and we got those already.

ChrisMaGR

Auditioning
Real Name
Christos Machairas
They are showing a new restoration of "An American in Paris" for its 60th anniversary. A new Ultimate Edition perhaps?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by ChrisMaGR

They are showing a new restoration of "An American in Paris" for its 60th anniversary. A new Ultimate Edition perhaps?

If there is such a release, I hope Warners uses lossless audio this time.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That's too bad. Is the main complaint the lossy audio? How's the picture quality on it?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's lossy audio, but it's DD 1.0 Mono. While in theory the mono could improve with lossless, it's not quite the buzzkill that a lossy 5.1 track is.

Most reviews were quite favorable to my recollection.

EDIT: DVD Beaver review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews42/an_american_in_paris_blu-ray.htm

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I recall reading that an anniversary edition blue ray of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? is definately planned for next year along with Singing in the Rain and Camelot. Why

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? I would not think that it is one of their most desired catalog titles, but maybe I am wrong.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

Why

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? I would not think that it is one of their most desired catalog titles, but maybe I am wrong.

50th, pretty big milestone, Davis and Crawford

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And I don't have anything to back this up, but it seems to have retained, or regained, a very strong level of popularity, even among later generations. Which greatly pleases me, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks