What's new

"Car 54" in February 2011- FINALLY!!!! (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
One of my top 10 "most wanted" is finally coming to DVD: the adventures of Officers Toody and Muldoon and the rest of the gang of the 53rd Pct. is being released in a few months:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Car-54-Season-1-Press-Release/14743

Car54WhereAreYou_S1.jpg

By the way, the reason why the car is red is because back in the 1960s the NYPD police cars were green and white, and since the show was filmed in B/W, the producers didn't want the cars used on location to be mistaken for the real thing!!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Excellent news to hear this official now! This show is the last Grail title for me among 60s sitcoms not on DVD and once its out and finished I've got my "permanent" lineup of 60s sitcoms on DVD complete!

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
This is very good news indeed. I really wasn't sure we would ever see this one, and I will snatch it up on the day of release.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will pick this up for sure.

Never heard of the company releasing this. Hope they release more classic tv shows.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

Excellent news to hear this official now! This show is the last Grail title for me among 60s sitcoms not on DVD and once its out and finished I've got my "permanent" lineup of 60s sitcoms on DVD complete!

Really? That's it for you? You're lucky. I probably have a few dozen 60s sitcoms I would want. Most of them I fortunately have from off-air or from 16mm transfers. But among the shows that have been elusive, save for an episode or two, I would love to get The Tycoon, Many Happy Returns, The Hero, all 3 of the 90 Bristol Court series, The Jean Arthur Show, Mickey, The Queen and I and Hank. Not to mention the rest of Governor and JJ, Love on a Rooftop and The Good Guys.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Really? That's it for you? You're lucky. I probably have a few dozen 60s sitcoms I would want. Most of them I fortunately have from off-air or from 16mm transfers. But among the shows that have been elusive, save for an episode or two, I would love to get The Tycoon, Many Happy Returns, The Hero, all 3 of the 90 Bristol Court series, The Jean Arthur Show, Mickey, The Queen and I and Hank. Not to mention the rest of Governor and JJ, Love on a Rooftop and The Good Guys.

[/QUOTE]

All of those other titles you mention are ones I have never seen except for three episodes of "The Hero" (which I would only get only to see more of Mariette Hartley!). And I'm not too sure I'd ever give an unseen sitcom title a blind buy the way I would for a 60s dramatic series I've never seen before because by and large I find it much harder to get involved with a sitcom that I'm not familiar with from years of previous exposure. While there are two 50s sitcoms I still want (Jack Benny, Burns And Allen) and one more I'd like to see completed (Phil Silvers) and two 50s/60s I'll get more of if they become available (Danny Thomas/Donna Reed) I just think I've hit my limit there (it helps that I am not a fan of the "rural" sitcoms and thus I'm not stewing over the abandonment of the big three there).

OTOH I need to see more momentum on some 70s sitcoms, namely finish "Bob Newhart Show", "Welcome Back Kotter", "Barney Miller" and also give me "CPO Sharkey" and "Operation Petticoat"!

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by shoeshineboy for many years, focusing on folk, blues, celtic, and other genres. This is their first foray into classic TV. With any luck, they'll do more--always good to get more independent companies doing this, if the big ones won't.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Guy Foulard for many years, focusing on folk, blues, celtic, and other genres. This is their first foray into classic TV. With any luck, they'll do more--always good to get more independent companies doing this, if the big ones won't.
I'm willing to give 'em the benefit of the doubt.

Shout Factory started out as, basically, Rhino Jr., releasing offbeat and obscure music. Now look at 'em.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
This is great news. They are doing these from 35mm prints, right? So, this should be an excellent release with no edited episodes.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I've never seen Car 54 but have heard it is a classic. I will be adding this to my collection as a blind buy.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think remembering some of the episodes airing on TVLand a few years ago. It is funny show, especially with Herman Munster (Fred Gwynn. They sure dont make shows like this anymore. Bonuse: This show only aired for two seasons, so there is hope this one can be completed.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
From the early days of television, through the mid-1960s, some filmed comedies produced the laugh track by showing the finished film to an audience and recording their reactions.

The problem with this was that often the laughter would overlap with the dialogue, making it hard to hear.

Unfortunately, "Car 54, Where Are You?" was one of those shows (one of the last, too.)

I have no particular reason for pointing this out --- I want the DVDs as much as anyone. I'm just relating it as part of the history of television.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Sylvia Schwartzkopf Schnauzer- Charlotte Rae was a hoot as Leo's wife! One of my favorite episodes was the time she was asked to do a TV cookie commercial after going off her diet. The final result you have to see for yourself..........

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I spoke with this company a couple of months ago and let them know about the existence of an unaired pilot. No idea if they acted on it or not but I told them where they could get ahold of it. I really hope they did.

slats7

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan Slattery
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis

Yep, she was a gem. Two of my favorite episodes are when she's convinced that Leo is descended from Russian royalty, and when she demands that he marry her again.

Sylvia at 3:00 AM:

"I wanna get married!"

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
If I'm right, this company "Shanachie Entertainment" has been the first to release "The Abbott and Costello show" on DVD a long time ago, Each release was a single disc with 2 episode of the first season and two other from the second season of that show. Anyway I can't wait for Car 54.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks