What's new

"Car 54" in February 2011- FINALLY!!!! (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

Agree! If they *do* a complete series, put it in "good" packaging, and fix the episode order I'll seriously consider a double-dip.

As much as I hate to double dip, I might do it for a complete series set of Car 54 that fixed all the issues with Season 1. The pricing for the Season 1set was pretty reasonable, imho. If the pricing for a complete series set continued that trend, I would be very tempted to double dip on this one.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but somewhere i did read a post (maybe on this site? Maybe on sitcomsonline?) that the 2nd season was due out 2012 spring time... Now i know it hasn't appeared on tvondvd yet, so any official announcement remains behind Shenachie closed doors as of now. Perhaps they're bundling up a few frilly extras (interviews with Gerald Hiken and more Charlotte Rae and Hank Garrett? a brief bio on Nat Hiken?) for us poor souls. I just hope that sometime soon, someone comes out and opens up a mouth on the 2nd season release...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With Night Gallery S3, Adam-12 S7, and Laverne and Shirley S5 already announced for April 10, you wouldn't think the day could get any bigger for classic TV on DVD fans. However... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Car-54-Season-2/16398 Car 54, Where Are You S2 will be coming out. And, Shanatchie listened, and the episodes will be in broadcast order this time around.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Very good news about Car 54: Where Are You?: The Complete Second Season. Hopefully the way the discs are placed inside the DVD case is done better this time, compared to the first season set.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Here is the official Season Two Press Release:

CAR54 Where Are You? The Complete Second Season
Streetdate: April 10, 2012
SRP: $39.98

Many critics and comedians believe that CAR54 Where Are You? Is one of the greatest comedy series ever to appear on television. Leonard Maltin calls it “one of the funniest TV shows of all time.” Carol Burnett, who worked with the show’s creator Nat Hiken, called him a comedy genius. In Carl Reiner’s words, “All comedy writers of Hiken’s day agreed that he had no peer.” Last year’s release of Season One was greeted with great excitement by both critics and fans and sold very strongly. Long out of circulation, Season Two of this brilliant show can now be enjoyed on DVD by its legion of fans and new generations who will have a chance to view it for the first time. On April 10, 2012, Shanachie Entertainment will be releasing all 30 episodes of Season Two newly remastered from the only known set of 35 mm fine grain prints in a 4-disc set, the first time it has appeared on DVD since it's original broadcast 50 years ago.

CAR 54 Where Are You was set in the Bronx’s 53rd precinct, where the cops depicted are all great comedic characters, as are the residents of the neighborhood they patrol. The central figures of the show are the Mutt & Jeff squad car team of Toody and Muldoon, played by Joe E. Ross and Fred Gwynne, and the ensemble of supporting actors was perfectly cast with Beatrice Pons as Toody’s domineering shrew of a wife, circus veteran Al Lewis as the irascible Officer Leo Schnauser, Charlotte Rae as Schnauser’s moody, hot-tempered wife, and Catskill comic /body builder Hank Garrett as Officer Ed Nicholson.

Series creator Nat Hiken was already famous for his highly acclaimed Sgt. Bilko show, and he drew on his 25 years of writing experience for top comedy programs on radio and television (Fred Allen, Milton Berle, Martha Raye) to produce a hilarious show rich with New York humor, polished scripts and offbeat characters. As with Season One, Hiken drew on a wealth of New York talent to fill out the cast for each episode – seasoned film and TV veterans, borscht belt comedians and some of the brightest young talent from the Broadway stage. Season Two's episodes feature Molly Picon, Larry Storch, Mitch Miller, Jack Guilford, Shari Lewis and reflecting Hiken's passion for boxing, Sugar Ray Robinson and Rocky Graziano. Included as a bonus extra is a hilarious ten-minute standup comedy routine by series star Joe E. Ross.

Here are some clips:

"Pretzel Mary"

In this 1962 episode of CAR 54 Where Are You? Broadway comedienne Sibyl Bowman stars as high pressure pretzel seller Pretzel Mary, a hilarious take on Bette Davis' Apple Annie from the popular1961 film Pocketful of Miracles. From episode "Pretzel Mary", starring Joe E. Ross as Officer Gunther Toody, Fred Gwynne as Officer Francis Muldoon and guest star Sibyl Bowman as Pretzel Mary.

"A Star is Born in the Bronx"

As part of a crash diet, Sylvia Schnauzer goes to a supermarket for watercress and skim milk. She attempts to resist all the calorie rich temptations but is waylaid by a pitchman for Dixie Dimple Cookies. From episode "A Star Is Born In The Bronx", starring Joe E. Ross as Officer Gunther Toody, Fred Gwynne as Officer Francis Muldoon and Charlotte Rae as Sylvia Schnauzer.

"Joan Crawford Didn't Say No"

Molly Picon returns from season one as Mrs. Bronson, now a match maker and owner of the Wedding Bells Matrimonial Agency. Toody and Muldoon attempt to shut her down as complaints come in about her setting clients up with Hollywood stars. From episode "Joan Crawford Didn't Say No", starring Joe E. Ross as Officer Gunther Toody, Fred Gwynne as Officer Francis Muldoon, Paul Reed as Captain Block and guest star Molly Picon as Mrs. Bronson.

"The Puncher and Judy"

Boxing great Sugar Ray Robinson guest stars as himself, showing his comedy chops when Toody and Muldoon enlist him to knock out amateur boxer, professional hair dresser Antoinne, played by boxiing legend Rocky Graziano. From episode "The Puncher and Judy", starring Joe E. Ross as Officer Gunther Toody, Fred Gwynne as Officer Francis Muldoon, Sugar Ray Robinson as himself, Rocky Graziano as Antoinne and Shari Lewis as Judy.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
While I am delighted that this series will soon be available complete it does seem strange that Sgt. Bilko only has its first season on DVD. Here in Britain Bilko is one of the most famous of all American TV shows yet we too only have that first season release and the special box set edition.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Yes that's really strange since Sgt Bilko is, as far as I'm concerned (and there's a lot of people thinking that same way), the BEST american sitcom ever

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
maskedmala said:
Yes that's really strange since Sgt Bilko is, as far as I'm concerned (and there's a lot of people thinking that same way), the BEST american sitcom ever
It's all about the sales, not the quality. Obviously, Bilko did not sell in large enough quantities for CBS to go forward with more seasons. The Defenders is one of the best shows of all time and that's never coming out. Quality has nothing to do with it.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Neil Brock said:
It's all about the sales, not the quality. Obviously, Bilko did not sell in large enough quantities for CBS to go forward with more seasons. The Defenders is one of the best shows of all time and that's never coming out. Quality has nothing to do with it.
Hopefully, CBS hasn't made a final decision about Bilko or might consider licensing in the future.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Another option is Walmart.com. It's offered for $18.99 and if you order it Ship to Store, you only pay the sales tax. Amazon has it for $19.99 now however unless you can order something else that takes it over $25, the shipping is an extra $2.99. The one drawback with Walmart.com is the will have to wait until the day it is released to order Ship to Store..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks