-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official Back To The Mac Event Discussion Thread (10/20/10)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#21 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:11 AM

One more thing, wait for it!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#22 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:13 AM

Yup, the iPad inspired Macbook, new MBA incoming.

#23 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:14 AM

It's so thin it could be used as a Ninja Star!

(I made that up!)

#24 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:20 AM

13.3 and 11 inches are both official.  Man can't wait to see the price.  I'm expecting to be disappointed but holding out hope.

#25 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:20 AM

Tried to be really aggressive, pppppleasseeeee be real good!

#26 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:22 AM

Blah $999, $1199 for the 11.6", $1299 and $1599 for the 13.  No sale to Sam

#27 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:24 AM

Holy carp the 11.6 is TINY.  12" Powerbook fiends eat your hearts out.

#28 of 68 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,283 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:28 AM

Macbook Air looks neat but I will always prefer a full-size

laptop with optical drive -- or at least for now.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#29 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:31 AM

They are available today allegedly!  Orders only or in store?

#30 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 06:47 AM

"fromedome Dan Frommer

Apple Stores getting the new MacBook Air in about 2 weeks. Glad I only walked half a block"

#31 of 68 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,349 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 20 2010 - 07:05 AM

The iPad was a watershed in computing. If not already, it will be seen as the major turning point in personal computers going to a touchscreen system; it's as important as the Mac and before it the Apple II were.

Lion and the new MacBook Air look like transitional products as Apple tries to understand how to commercialize and popularize these concepts on mainstream (and higher-performance) computers. It's exciting to watch this transition happen. But as interim (half-baked?) products, it's not obvious what it will do for me or if I want to buy it.

Or, as my wife just asked: 'Is there anything that's going to break all my software like 10.6 did, so I should hold off on buying CS5?' To which I answered, 'I have no idea. Get what you need and we'll worry about Lion next year.'

#32 of 68 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,349 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Best Live blog so far by far for those of us who can't get video:

http://arstechnica.c...107-preview.ars

Engadget's is good too:

http://www.engadget....-the-mac-event/

I'd rate Engadget higher: Ars scrolls content off the screen, with some weird multi-paging system to fight with to find content. Engadget keeps everything visible, one page. Which is important since I'm tuning in late and erratically, what being a work day and all Posted Image

#33 of 68 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,274 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 07:17 AM

If the 11.6 inch Air was say $799 I might have bitten, but those are pretty expensive prices for basically outdated hardware. 256k Graphics card what is this 2006 ?

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#34 of 68 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,349 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 07:23 AM

That's Apple's gambit: sacrifice top-end performance for huge creature comforts.

That is: show me a 2010 game-playing laptop that weighs 2 lbs, has 7 hrs battery life and instant on.

For my personal use, that $1599 MacBook Air is very attractive. Except  the $729 iPad is even more attractive Posted Image

#35 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

Or, as my wife just asked: 'Is there anything that's going to break all my software like 10.6 did, so I should hold off on buying CS5?' To which I answered, 'I have no idea. Get what you need and we'll worry about Lion next year.'

If you can get it for Educational Pricing like I did, buy it today with confidence.  I paid like $300 for Production Premium which is a $1600 savings.  It's a no brainer.

#36 of 68 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,934 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 07:51 AM

The MBA is cool but it's Mac App Store that is going to be the real win.

It will quadruple or more the Mac Developer base.

It will (and you may say I'm being hyperbolic here, I'm not) 10x increase the installed base of all Mac computers.  See if I'm right in a year.

It will drive desktop application prices down big time.

It will increase desktop application CHOICE dramatically

'Real' Apps will actually increase rather than decrease as the platform gets more exposure.
Full Screen will be +++awesome

Encapsulating the file system away from the user will make it 100x easier for neophytes to use a desktop computer

Changes to how files are handled on the desktop will result in a better iPad / iPhone experience.  And Virtuous back to the desktop.  Imagine never having to install those attrocious printer drivers ever again.  Even on OSX printer drivers SUCK.

As I said in the other thread I think the new MBA will be AWESOME for students and execs on the go, and for less experienced users who first come to the platform, but for me I want all this goodness on the next gen 15" MBP.  Sign me up and consider me reinvigorated with the desktop / laptop platform that Apple isn't going to let it languish.  Overall I think today was brilliant.

/fanboy out

#37 of 68 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,349 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 08:21 AM

No edu pricing; only upgrade pricing over CS3. We'll take our chances with 10.7 / App Store / CS6 next year.

All she wants, really, is the Magic Pad. But that takes 10.6. Which breaks her CS3. Which begets a CS5 upgrade. (sigh). This is the most expensive "mouse" I've ever bought...

#38 of 68 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 20 2010 - 08:27 AM

See, Sam, I see much as you do, except I'm not as big of an advocate of the App Store for Mac as you are.  There are various reasons for that; the fact that it won't be a part of Itunes and will be seperate, and the fact that the base will be different.  So, I don't know how quick you'll pick up developers.   Big name developers will look at the 70/30 and it's not as good of a deal on a major project, especially when you make your money on them through network adoption, fees, updates, etc.

You also run into something that Itunes doesn't elsewhere: in place competition.   There are successful app stores.. which developers already own a percentage of.. now available on the Mac.  Of course, the first and biggest one that comes to mind is "Steam".  It's unique anti-piracy and check system would be difficult to impossible to get Apple to accept into a seperated store, and really kind of pointless to be there.  And developers all own a piece of steam, so their interest in bolting is minimal.

Big name app availability through the app store will be mixed, because the average size of a program for a mac or a pc now is pretty sizable.. and while you could download, and people do, having all of them this way just isn't a real option.   How interested is anyone in downloading multiple DVDs to get CS5?

I think Developers are going to have to think about how this pushes their resources.   I think it will be a success, but I think the reason why it isn't part of iTunes is because Apple wonders the same way I do: what kind of core app will be a success on MacAppStore?   A .99 cent app for a smaller screen and locked response on an ipad/ipod/iphone is a big difference then say, someone wanting a check register software..

But I think that's the ideal target for a MacAppStore... small, easily downloadable essentials.  Turbotax or Taxcut type stuff would be ideal for it.

I don't think any of this increases apple mac sales x10.   And I don't think anything today does that.  I think the fact that the AppStore isn't part of iTunes may help further divide the two divisions of mobile and home/office, and that's going to be interesting.  Apple points out that right now, Mac is 33% of their business.  But in rolling out the 11.6 Air, the real question is: what is the big benefit to go with this over the ipad?  The two product lines in a lot of ways are on a crash course, and I'm not sure today really changed that.

I said in the other thread what I'll say here:

Ilife is a winner.

Garageband update is significant and slick.

13" Macbook air is a nice looking unit, though I dislike the flash memory method (instead of SSD) but it's a true light end laptop.

The 11.6" Macbook air is a very expensive netbook.  I thought Jobs had killed these, but by every definition, it is what it is, and with the 64G model at $999, I'm puzzled by what niche this fits in.

Appstore is going to be up in the air as to how it fits in and the impact we won't know.

Lion is a cool demo display.  But it's 9 months off.  In fact, the announcement that a new OS and supports were coming in nine months makes adoption of these when you know a new tech is coming a harder sell, because you've got to figure you'll see a MBP and other refreshes then.

Apple, however, puts on some of the best presentations in the business.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#39 of 68 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted October 20 2010 - 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

It seems to be optional.

Well for now anyway. I am curious, does anyone not think that this is first step for Apple to move all their computers over to the iOS platform? My, admittedly shaky, prediction, there will never be another major revision to OS X. From here on out, each release will be geared to moving their desktop/laptop computers further over to the iOS platform until they are iOS only.

-KeithP

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#40 of 68 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,349 posts

Posted October 20 2010 - 12:34 PM

I'm pretty bummed that MacAppStore isn't part of iTunes. But I'm still not dissuaded in my believe that iTunes will be OS XI Posted Image

Soylent Green is iTunes!