Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE TOWN Review Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,831 posts

Posted September 18 2010 - 03:49 AM

Ben Affleck returns as director/actor/co-screenwriter in a film about Boston bankrobbers with Doug (Affeck) and Jim (Jeremy Renner) being life-long friends.  Jon Hamm is the FBI agent on the case, and he's bound and determined to catch the bankrobbers.  Claire (Rebecca Hall) is a bank manager of one of the banks the gang robs, and in a split-moment decision, she is used as a hostage on the getaway, and Doug takes an interest in her, which in turns complicates his life.

Overall, good action scenes, gun play, car chases with the action being easy to follow and not requiring much dramamine to endure some camera shakiness.  The story could have been a little more layered, and some of the character build-up is a little slow, and other characters are a little short-changed in backstory which would have ratcheted up dramatic tension among the characters.  But overall, a solid film.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,173 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 18 2010 - 06:02 AM

I loved The Town. It's exciting, there's very good direction from Ben Affleck and wonderful performances from the entire cast. Except for Toy Story 3, this was the best movie that I've seen this year.

Between Gone, Baby Gone and this, Ben Affleck is definitely a talented director and someone worth watching.

#3 of 5 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,846 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 18 2010 - 07:22 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Town". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 5 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,846 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 18 2010 - 07:30 AM

My second favorite film of the year and it's probably the best crime film I've seen in the last ten years.  I enjoyed it even more than The Departed.  I must give some kudos to Affleck as he's surprising me with his career path over the last five years or so.  A terrific film with some great performances from the entire cast.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,664 posts

Posted September 19 2010 - 03:07 PM

A well done film indeed and like Robert said, Affleck has really surprised me of late and demonstrates some real depth. I thought he was great in State Of Play and he's excellent in The Town. Both as an actor and director.

I enjoyed the film. Found it riveting and well crafted. Would like to see it again.

8.5/10