What's new

*** Official THE TOWN Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ben Affleck returns as director/actor/co-screenwriter in a film about Boston bankrobbers with Doug (Affeck) and Jim (Jeremy Renner) being life-long friends. Jon Hamm is the FBI agent on the case, and he's bound and determined to catch the bankrobbers. Claire (Rebecca Hall) is a bank manager of one of the banks the gang robs, and in a split-moment decision, she is used as a hostage on the getaway, and Doug takes an interest in her, which in turns complicates his life.

Overall, good action scenes, gun play, car chases with the action being easy to follow and not requiring much dramamine to endure some camera shakiness. The story could have been a little more layered, and some of the character build-up is a little slow, and other characters are a little short-changed in backstory which would have ratcheted up dramatic tension among the characters. But overall, a solid film.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved The Town. It's exciting, there's very good direction from Ben Affleck and wonderful performances from the entire cast. Except for Toy Story 3, this was the best movie that I've seen this year.

Between Gone, Baby Gone and this, Ben Affleck is definitely a talented director and someone worth watching.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Town". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My second favorite film of the year and it's probably the best crime film I've seen in the last ten years. I enjoyed it even more than The Departed. I must give some kudos to Affleck as he's surprising me with his career path over the last five years or so. A terrific film with some great performances from the entire cast.

Crawdaddy

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
A well done film indeed and like Robert said, Affleck has really surprised me of late and demonstrates some real depth. I thought he was great in State Of Play and he's excellent in The Town. Both as an actor and director.

I enjoyed the film. Found it riveting and well crafted. Would like to see it again.

8.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks