Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Building a new duplex, budget ~$20K

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hello, I'm looking to build a new duplex next year and as part of the home I'm planning on pre-wiring for audio and for a home theater.  Currently I have a 2-channel system consisting of Sharp Aquos LCD, transmission-line loudspeakers, Naim separates, Rega turntable, HD-PVR, Oppo 983 DVD, SqueezeBox Duet, Harmony 890 Remote, and HDMI switch.  I'm planning to move many of these components into a dedicated music room, so I can concentrate on a new home theater build.

Hoping to keep her under $20K including taxes and installation for an unobtrusive 5.1 system in the living room, LED television, and a Control4 system throughout the 3-bedroom duplex for audio/lighting/security.  Any advice for what components I would look at within this budget?  Is there anything I should be specifying to my developer for the wiring?  Any caveats or things I should take into consideration?

Cheers,

Alon

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,890 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 04 2010 - 10:34 PM

Alon-

I haven't followed Control 4 for a while.  Since your budget includes control of several rooms can you back that part out of the budget and let us know what your budget is for just the home theater components and install for that room?  That would make it easier to come up with some recommendations.  I am assuming the room with the HT will be one of the rooms controlled by the Control 4 system?

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Eva2100

Eva2100

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 06 2010 - 06:15 PM

ok..i will try to find some information for you..