Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What is SDDS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   JJR512

JJR512

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts

Posted July 25 2010 - 05:05 PM

Sony Dynamic Digital Sound. I see the SDDS logo at the end of many movies, right by the Dolby and DTS logos. But I've never seen this logo or heard anything about it in conjunction with home theater gear. What is it, and why is it only used for commercial cinemas and not home cinemas?

-Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert
No matter how fast light travels, it always arrives to find the darkness already there, waiting for it.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 25 2010 - 05:12 PM

Complete information:

http://www.sdds.com/

No version for home theater was ever developed.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 28 2010 - 01:50 AM

It was an interesting idea; digital sound on film, plus a back-up track on the film as well.  I know early implementations of the readers, combined with some of the issues surrounding the migration to polyestar film-stocks for release prints caused some... incompatibilities in the booth.  ("purple dots everywhere!" I remember hearing a projectionist complaining.)

Leo

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,170 posts

Posted July 28 2010 - 02:49 AM

SDDS is the original 7.1 audio format, so I assume that's why it never made the leap into the home market. Up until just recently the technology didn't exist to allow for maximum impact.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,280 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted July 28 2010 - 03:07 AM

This was Sony's foray into digital sound for cinema, following Dolby Digital and DTS. Although they managed to get AMC to install the system into most of their complexes, the system was less reliable than Dolby or DTS, and more expensive, and thus Sony has discontinued development, manufacturing, and sales of hardware.

You still see it on movies released today because there is still a relatively large (but decreasing) install base in cinemas.