What's new

What is SDDS? (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Sony Dynamic Digital Sound. I see the SDDS logo at the end of many movies, right by the Dolby and DTS logos. But I've never seen this logo or heard anything about it in conjunction with home theater gear. What is it, and why is it only used for commercial cinemas and not home cinemas?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It was an interesting idea; digital sound on film, plus a back-up track on the film as well. I know early implementations of the readers, combined with some of the issues surrounding the migration to polyestar film-stocks for release prints caused some... incompatibilities in the booth. ("purple dots everywhere!" I remember hearing a projectionist complaining.)

Leo

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
SDDS is the original 7.1 audio format, so I assume that's why it never made the leap into the home market. Up until just recently the technology didn't exist to allow for maximum impact.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This was Sony's foray into digital sound for cinema, following Dolby Digital and DTS. Although they managed to get AMC to install the system into most of their complexes, the system was less reliable than Dolby or DTS, and more expensive, and thus Sony has discontinued development, manufacturing, and sales of hardware.

You still see it on movies released today because there is still a relatively large (but decreasing) install base in cinemas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks