Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME Review Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,629 posts

Posted May 28 2010 - 04:16 PM

Having never played the video game on which this film was based upon, I still enjoyed the tone and pace of the film overall, though the 3rd act sags a bit, but there is a a good amount of action scenes, and somewhat enjoyable chemistry between Jake Gyllenhaal's and Gemma Atherton's characters, and Alfred Molina steals almost every scene he's in with his line delivery, which produced some good laughs.  So, I was actually surprised as I wasn't all that impressed by the trailers, but, overall, I felt the movie was more entertaining than I was expecting it to be.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 8 Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 28 2010 - 11:29 PM

It was ok.

I think using the British accent was a big mistake. OK, you have to cast Hollywood actors to be able to sell the movie ... fair enough. But having them do bad British accents on top of it was silly and just smacked you out of any "reality" the movie created every five seconds. You have an American actor (Gylennhall) playing a Persian guy doing a fake British accent. It's just kinda ridiculous.

The movie itself definitely drags in places, I noticed a lot of people checking their watches/cell phones. The plot is really convoluted by the end. It's passable entertainment though. Some decent action and effects. Gemma Arterton sure looks nice with a dark tan and dark hair though. I'd say it's like a poor man's "The Mummy" (1999 version) or a slightly better than "10,000 B.C.".

#3 of 8 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,176 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 29 2010 - 02:04 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
 Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 8 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,489 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 29 2010 - 05:51 AM

I thought the movie was alright. It's a lot like the Pirates Of The Caribbean sequels in that the plot gets so convulted that I had no idea why people were doing things. The only problem is that Johnny Depp's charisma made that an easier pill to swallow in the Pirates movies. Jake Gyllenhaal and Alfred Molina (who gets some decent laughs) are both pretty entertaining though. In the end, I think it's worth a rental or watching on cable over spending the money on a ticket.

#5 of 8 Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted June 02 2010 - 09:51 AM

I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie - guess I wasn't expecting it to be quite as entertaining as it was! Jake was great in the title role (definitely LOOKED amazing), and the action sequences were pretty impressive. I thought overall, it was a pretty solid, fun action-adventure summer flick. I think it was one of the better video game adaptations, to be honest.

#6 of 8 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted June 03 2010 - 04:04 AM

It was a good popcorn movie and light enough for the whole family to enjoy.

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#7 of 8 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted June 03 2010 - 06:06 PM

I thought it was an enjoyable movie overall....but it is what it is....light popcorn entertainment that is instantly forgettable once it's over.  Jake Gyllenhaal is okay but I never warmed up to him as an actor....why not use a middle-eastern actor for the lead role for once? (I already know....$$$$$)  Alfred Molina was excellent though.

Anyway......./img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/half.gif out of  /img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif

Recently watched- Basic Instinct 2, Taken 2, Maverick(1994), After Earth, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(2009), The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug 3D, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EE 3D, Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"If this is to end in fire...then we will all burn together."

#8 of 8 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,044 posts

Posted June 07 2010 - 05:23 AM

This Friday, I'm taking the family to the cinema (matinee).  Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Ironman 2 are playing (as well as a couple of other films).  My wife and I are giving our kids the choice of what they want to see, as some want to see Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and others want to see Ironman 2.  I'm not sure which film I will be attending, but it should be a fun time.

I've been reading the reviews in this thread and the other to determine which film I ought to see. :)