What's new

*** Official PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having never played the video game on which this film was based upon, I still enjoyed the tone and pace of the film overall, though the 3rd act sags a bit, but there is a a good amount of action scenes, and somewhat enjoyable chemistry between Jake Gyllenhaal's and Gemma Atherton's characters, and Alfred Molina steals almost every scene he's in with his line delivery, which produced some good laughs. So, I was actually surprised as I wasn't all that impressed by the trailers, but, overall, I felt the movie was more entertaining than I was expecting it to be.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
It was ok.

I think using the British accent was a big mistake. OK, you have to cast Hollywood actors to be able to sell the movie ... fair enough. But having them do bad British accents on top of it was silly and just smacked you out of any "reality" the movie created every five seconds. You have an American actor (Gylennhall) playing a Persian guy doing a fake British accent. It's just kinda ridiculous.

The movie itself definitely drags in places, I noticed a lot of people checking their watches/cell phones. The plot is really convoluted by the end. It's passable entertainment though. Some decent action and effects. Gemma Arterton sure looks nice with a dark tan and dark hair though. I'd say it's like a poor man's "The Mummy" (1999 version) or a slightly better than "10,000 B.C.".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an [COLOR= rgb(68,112,140)]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought the movie was alright. It's a lot like the Pirates Of The Caribbean sequels in that the plot gets so convulted that I had no idea why people were doing things. The only problem is that Johnny Depp's charisma made that an easier pill to swallow in the Pirates movies. Jake Gyllenhaal and Alfred Molina (who gets some decent laughs) are both pretty entertaining though. In the end, I think it's worth a rental or watching on cable over spending the money on a ticket.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie - guess I wasn't expecting it to be quite as entertaining as it was! Jake was great in the title role (definitely LOOKED amazing), and the action sequences were pretty impressive. I thought overall, it was a pretty solid, fun action-adventure summer flick. I think it was one of the better video game adaptations, to be honest.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This Friday, I'm taking the family to the cinema (matinee). Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Ironman 2 are playing (as well as a couple of other films). My wife and I are giving our kids the choice of what they want to see, as some want to see Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and others want to see Ironman 2. I'm not sure which film I will be attending, but it should be a fun time.

I've been reading the reviews in this thread and the other to determine which film I ought to see. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks