What's new

300: Rise of an Empire - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, while Xerxes occupies most of the marketing for this film, it is Artemesia (Eva Green) and Themistocies' (Sullivan Stapleton) film as Artemisia leads the mighty ships of Persia against a fractured Greecian effort to stem the would-be Persian conquest upon decimation of the "300".

Eva Green is the main highlight for the film, nicely chewing up the scenery, while Sullivan is out-matched in terms of on-screen charisma and presence, woefully so.

The mano-a-mano action scenes are the now "standard" stylistic "300" slow-motion type, with plenty of digital blood-splattering that treats any human body as simply bags of blood waiting to spurt relentlessly upon puncture, comically so.

The sea battles were entertaining, though, and I found the pacing also pretty decent. The dialogue is a little clunky, though Eva Green gets to utter a hilarious line in the 3rd act.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was ok, not as good as the first film. It didn't have a straightforward narrative--kept jumping around.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I loved Eva Green as the Morgana in 'Merlin' and she remains a fantastic find. Damn is that girl hot.

WAY WAY WAY too much narration that slows things down to a crawl at points.

Still, it's passable.
C+

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Patrick Sun said:
The mano-a-mano action scenes are the now "standard" stylistic "300" slow-motion type, with plenty of digital blood-splattering that treats any human body as simply bags of blood waiting to spurt relentlessly upon puncture, comically so.
The cinematography was great. What I would expect from a 300 movie. Too bad that didn't port over to Man Of Steel. Blood effects were okay. Didn't bother me, just didn't seem as visceral as the original.

RobertR said:
I thought it was ok, not as good as the first film. It didn't have a straightforward narrative--kept jumping around.
This movie did not need to be made. I kept thinking it was the 'B' Team Prequel/Side-quel/Sequel. There was clearly nothing to continue after the original. So evident based on how many times they referenced the original. UGH.

mattCR said:
WAY WAY WAY too much narration that slows things down to a crawl at points.
I literally didn't even listen to the narration. It definitely was so overwhelming that I just tuned out. I don't even know or care whose empire is rising.
schan1269 said:
Eva said in an interview... "I don't like doing nudity, but here(300) it was a central story aspect. The S&M was fun"
Riiiight. It wasn't pivotal to the story and could have easily been excised. Why did she agree to do this movie? Not that I'm complaining.

RENT THIS.

It plays like two hours of deleted scenes from the original.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Brian Dobbs said:
This movie did not need to be made. I kept thinking it was the 'B' Team Prequel/Side-quel/Sequel. There was clearly nothing to continue after the original. So evident based on how many times they referenced the original. UGH..

It plays like two hours of deleted scenes from the original.
I have to agree. The simult-pre-side-quel aspects very much made it play that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks