Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

RED RIVER & Criterion CONFIRMED?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 08:38 AM

Make of this what you will, but last night at Film Forum, I overheard a FF regular, who consults for Criterion, report to his seat mate that the Criterion folks told him (earlier that afternoon) that they have secured rights to RED RIVER.  Because of the relatively tight-knit nature of the New York film industry community and the connection between Criterion and Film Forum, I tend to think this is legit.

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,085 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 04 2010 - 09:37 AM

I wouldn't call that confirmed quite yet.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 09:58 AM

Fair enough.  

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,085 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 04 2010 - 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg 

Fair enough.  
I'm excited by your post, but we need to hear more before I would call it confirmed.  Hopefully, it will join Stagecoach and be released on Blu-ray from Criterion.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 05 2010 - 12:25 AM

Way back in November, I asked on their Facebook page: "I see that among a number of MGM/UA titles that have just gone OOP is Hawks' Red River; now, tell me that you've picked this up."

Their reply was a rather teasing: "Could be..."

I'll take this as another very positive indication. Great news.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 05 2010 - 06:57 AM

It's long been rumored as one of the MGM titles they licensed. The Fugitive Kind is the first one officially announced/released. Other rumored MGM titles licensed are:

Paths of Glory
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly
The Misfits
Night of the Hunter

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted May 05 2010 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

It's long been rumored as one of the MGM titles they licensed. The Fugitive Kind is the first one officially announced/released. Other rumored MGM titles licensed are:

Paths of Glory
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly
The Misfits
Night of the Hunter

talk about great additions i have been hoping something would be happening to Kubrick's first masterpiece

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 11:43 AM

awesome if true
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 08:43 PM

I posted the following in the Criterion thread in the Blu-Ray section, but in case some of you do not visit that area I'll post it here:

Here is the list of "confirmed" MGM titles that I got from one of the Criterion forums (I can't find the post anymore, so I don't know if they were asked to take it down or if some of it is wrong, but I present it here for entertainment purposes only)
Quote:
1. FUGITIVE KIND (Sidney Lumet) [already announced, due out at the end of the month]
2. PATHS OF GLORY (Stanley Kubrick)
3. THE KILLING (Stanley Kubrick)
4. KILLER'S KISS (Stanley Kubrick)
5. CUL DE SAC (Roman Polanski) There are rights issues that need to be sorted out before this film can be released.
6. LOVE STREAMS (John Cassavettes) There are rights issues that need to be sorted out before this film can be released
7. PARK ROW (Samuel Fuller)
8. SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (Alexander McKendrick)
9. RED RIVER (Howard Hawks)
10. KISS ME DEADLY (Robert Aldrich)
11. SATYRICON (Federico Fellini)
12. BURN (Gilo Portocovo)
13. KES (Ken Loach)
14. FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN (Karel Reiscz)
15. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Charles Laughton)
16. SOMETHING WILD (Jonathan Demme)
17. ???
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???
21. ???
22. ???
23. ???
24. ???

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   IanUngstad

IanUngstad

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 04:08 AM

Sorry to break the news to you but...

I wrote that list and posted it on the .com forums. It's not confirmed at all and most of those are based off evasive comments Criterion made on Facebook an the thread on the .org forum. I deleted that list off the site because I was worried people who read it were going to take it as a confirmation when it's more like educated speculation,

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 05:21 AM

hence the quotes around confirmed

#12 of 22 ONLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,128 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 05 2013 - 12:18 PM

I see that Red River was released on Blu-ray in the U.K. last week. It is region locked, but I have a region-free Blu-ray player so I may get it since we have heard nothing about a release in the U.S.

Red River Blu-ray

Rich Gallagher

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,085 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 05 2013 - 12:22 PM

I see that Red River was released on Blu-ray in the U.K. last week. It is region locked, but I have a region-free Blu-ray player so I may get it since we have heard nothing about a release in the U.S.

Red River Blu-ray

Rich,

I got that BD last week and watched it immediately.  It's not up to something Warner or Criterion might release on BD, but it's good enough for me at that price point.  It will hold me over until a better BD release comes along.  As you stated it's Region B locked.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 22 ONLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,128 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 05 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks, Crawdaddy. This thread started 3 1/2 years ago and still no sign of it from Criterion or anyone else. $22 including shipping isn't bad, so I'm going to go ahead and order it.

Rich Gallagher

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 06 2013 - 01:14 AM

You guys make me jealous that I'm not region-free. Red River is one of my absolute favorite Westerns.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,260 posts

Posted November 08 2013 - 09:52 PM

You guys make me jealous that I'm not region-free. Red River is one of my absolute favorite Westerns.

No need for jealousy. Region-free Blu-ray players are cheap and easy to acquire.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 08:24 AM

Red River recently went OOP in the U.S. (it was on a Fox multipack).  Given how many copies of Stagecoach Criterion sold, I woudl think that they would really want to release it.

#18 of 22 ONLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,128 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 27 2013 - 01:04 PM

I got that BD last week and watched it immediately.  It's not up to something Warner or Criterion might release on BD, but it's good enough for me at that price point.  It will hold me over until a better BD release comes along.  As you stated it's Region B locked.

It arrived on Monday. I popped it in my region-free BD player to check it out and immediately got sucked in. As you say, it is not perfect but it will do until we get a better release. It needs a bit of clean up in regard to reel markings, but for the most part it is in pretty good shape. The 56-page booklet is pretty good, too.

If they ever get around to doing a Region 1 release I hope they are able to give us both versions. Many years ago I saw the voiceover version on one of the movie channels.

Rich Gallagher

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted November 27 2013 - 06:57 PM

The French BD has both versions.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted November 28 2013 - 05:44 PM