-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

The Phil Silvers Show


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

    Screenwriter

  • 1,738 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 24 2008

Posted May 03 2010 - 10:35 AM

http://tvshowsondvd....-Season-1/13709


#2 of 33 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Join Date: --

Posted May 03 2010 - 03:19 PM

Yay!! I can't wait! Another TV classic released from the vaults!

#3 of 33 DeWilson

DeWilson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,966 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 05 2006

Posted May 03 2010 - 04:48 PM

...take that all you nay-sayers that says CBS doesn't care about it's classic tv shows! :)

#4 of 33 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

    Producer

  • 3,036 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 2001
  • Real Name:Rich Gallagher
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted May 03 2010 - 05:46 PM

Great news!

Rich Gallagher

#5 of 33 ToddR2

ToddR2

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 150 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 06 2007

Posted May 04 2010 - 06:36 AM

I'm very happy to see this show get a second chance, and look forward to purchasing this set. However, it seems that CBS/Paramount is in "Throw some (stuff) against the wall and see what sticks" mode. Their list of unfinished/abandoned shows is growing. Also, I don't think that this show has as wide a potential customer group as say The Beverly Hillbillies or The Lucy Show. I'm hopeful that sales will be good enough to merit the release of all four seasons of this truly brilliant show.

#6 of 33 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter

  • 2,092 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted May 05 2010 - 02:14 AM

As opposed to the other studios which don't throw anything against the wall.

#7 of 33 cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

    Screenwriter

  • 1,738 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 24 2008

Posted May 05 2010 - 02:40 AM

I hope they pick up The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction again soon.  Meanwhile ther are my inferior "alternate" dvds.

#8 of 33 FanCollector

FanCollector

    Producer

  • 4,168 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 06 2006

Posted May 05 2010 - 04:19 AM



Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post

As opposed to the other studios which don't throw anything against the wall.

That is a great point. I must say, I don't really understand the feeling that surfaces occasionally here about incomplete series. Of course, I would like all the seasons of my shows released, too. But even setting aside the fact that if we don't buy the early seasons, we'll never see the rest of them, why wouldn't it be better to have some episodes rather than none? Perhaps with a continuing storyline show (e.g. Soap or Lost), it could be frustrating, but there is no reason we can't enjoy the first season of The Beverly Hillbillies without having the ninth season of The Beverly Hillbillies.

#9 of 33 DeWilson

DeWilson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,966 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 05 2006

Posted May 05 2010 - 04:53 AM

It will be interesting to see when they get to the other seasons if the 7 episodes that have pulled from the syndication package will be in the sets.

Plus there are some episodes with music that may need to be cleared or cut.

#10 of 33 FanCollector

FanCollector

    Producer

  • 4,168 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 06 2006

Posted May 05 2010 - 05:37 AM



Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWilson View Post

It will be interesting to see when they get to the other seasons if the 7 episodes that have pulled from the syndication package will be in the sets.

Plus there are some episodes with music that may need to be cleared or cut.
The music clearance issue is always a big issue with CBS and I fear for those musical numbers and scenes, but I am not too worried about the shows that were pulled. All of them subsequently appeared on cable, so they obviously ironed out the various problems between the initial syndication deal and the cable TV deal.



#11 of 33 ToddR2

ToddR2

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 150 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 06 2007

Posted May 05 2010 - 07:13 AM

Jeez Danny, that's hardly what I meant. I simply was noting that CBS/Paramount has gone the route of Sony, et al., which is hardly a positive development, would you not agree? Furthermore, the idea that Lee espouses: "So what if show X has only Y number of episodes released?" is neatly upended by his statement just prior to making said argument.

#12 of 33 Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

    Second Unit

  • 485 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 22 2004

Posted May 05 2010 - 10:13 AM

I don't care if Paramount completes this series or not. I'm just happy they finally put out a whole season!

www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#13 of 33 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

    Screenwriter

  • 1,594 posts
  • Join Date: May 03 2008
  • Real Name:Howie
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 05 2010 - 11:07 AM

I'm thrilled this a complete season release! 

I've *almost* purchased the "Best Of" set many times but just couldn't complete the transaction thinking that it's just that... a "Best Of" and not a season.  I've sworn I'll never purchase a "Best Of" in the hopes full seasons will eventually be released.  I'll typically wait until the "Best Of" goes OOP with no signs of a full season release before I'll jump in those waters.  Yeah, some studios "test the waters" with these.  The problem is many won't go into those type waters so the test truly fails.

Date circled... awaiting pricing information... This is one of those truly *rare* ones that I'll consider purchasing during release week if not a pre-release purchase. :)


#14 of 33 ToddR2

ToddR2

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 150 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 06 2007

Posted May 05 2010 - 12:32 PM

Jonathan, please educate me about your line of thought. If you like the show well enough to think that a sesaon one release is a good idea, why would you not care if the whole series is released or not?

#15 of 33 Jack P

Jack P

    Producer

  • 3,009 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted May 05 2010 - 01:27 PM

I don't get that line of thought either.     It smacks too much of cutting one's nose to spite one's face, since the reason why we've had to wait four years for a S1 release is because not enough bought the Best of set.


#16 of 33 jdee28

jdee28

    Screenwriter

  • 1,002 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 14 2006

Posted May 05 2010 - 04:52 PM

Doesn't CBS/Paramount also control Car 54, Where Are You? Since they seem to now be in the habit of putting out first season releases of "rarer" shows like Bilko, One Step Beyond, and Barnaby Jones, I hope they do a release with Car 54, Nat Hilken's other show. If they start to release Car 54, there might be a good chance of CBS/Paramount finishing it; it's only two seasons.

#17 of 33 FanCollector

FanCollector

    Producer

  • 4,168 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 06 2006

Posted May 06 2010 - 12:09 AM



Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR2 View Post

Jeez Danny, that's hardly what I meant. I simply was noting that CBS/Paramount has gone the route of Sony, et al., which is hardly a positive development, would you not agree? Furthermore, the idea that Lee espouses: "So what if show X has only Y number of episodes released?" is neatly upended by his statement just prior to making said argument.
Sorry, Todd. Upon looking back, I realize I inadvertently made it seem as though you had embraced the point of view with which I was disagreeing. I am a notorious completist, and think studio commitment is very important. What I was questioning was what other members have said in the past, along the lines of "I will not buy the 1st season of this particular show because I don't believe the studio will put out all the seasons and I only want it if I can have the whole thing." I was arguing that besides being impractical (if no one buys the first season, there won't be any others), the people who feel that way are only punishing themselves by denying themselves at least some episodes of their favorite shows.



#18 of 33 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

    Screenwriter

  • 1,439 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 12 2004
  • Real Name:Rob Ray
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 06 2010 - 05:44 AM



Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR2 

Jonathan, please educate me about your line of thought. If you like the show well enough to think that a sesaon one release is a good idea, why would you not care if the whole series is released or not?
I'm not Jonathan, but I'll jump in here anyway.

Of course, in an ideal world, a series would*always* be followed through to its conclusion and the buyer could decide what seasons to buy or not buy.  But, truthfully, there are series such as "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Alice" which stayed on the air wayyyy past the time that they were in their prime.  Personally, with the "Hillbillies" I'd stop at about season six, just before they jumped the shark by going to England.  Times were changing and, for one thing, Nancy Kulp stopped doing her Plain-Jane Old Maid shtick for feminist reasons no doubt.  But it made her character no longer funny and merely Raymond Bailey's straight man.  And the whole premise of a family who had lived in Beverly Hills for nine years and still wore ropes for belts and didn't know the ways of Southern California was beyond ridiculous.

The black and white seasons of "Hillbillies" are classic television.  The early color ones are very funny.  But by season seven, it's tired and anachronistic.  I'm thrilled we got all the black and whites.  If they could release three more color seasons, I'd be content.


#19 of 33 ToddR2

ToddR2

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 150 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 06 2007

Posted May 06 2010 - 06:56 AM

Lee, sorry if I misread your point. I completely agree with your thoughts expressed above. I am as surprised as you when people offer this rational for not buying season one of a given show.


Rob_Ray, while I understand your point, I don't know that it applies in this case (Phil Silvers Show). Also, certainly you can understand how people's opinions could differ re:when a show "jumped the shark". There are many who would disagree with your assessment of The Beverly Hillbillies, for example. Some might think all of the episodes are classics, while others might think that you are nuts for suggesting ANY season of The Beverly Hillbillies is classic TV.



#20 of 33 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

    Screenwriter

  • 1,439 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 12 2004
  • Real Name:Rob Ray
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 06 2010 - 07:11 AM



Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR2 

Rob_Ray, while I understand your point, I don't know that it applies in this case (Phil Silvers Show). Also, certainly you can understand how people's opinions could differ re:when a show "jumped the shark". There are many who would disagree with your assessment of The Beverly Hillbillies, for example. Some might think all of the episodes are classics, while others might think that you are nuts for suggesting ANY season of The Beverly Hillbillies is classic TV.

I completely agree with you.  Everyone's mileage varies.  I've never seen more than a handful of the Bilkos and am eagerly looking forward to starting my education!