Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

preamp ac cable

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   denis d

denis d

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 24 2010 - 05:56 AM

hi to everybody ! I have a old Denon preamp and I would like to know if it's ok to change my ac 2 prong wire for a 3 prong grounded wire please.Thank you!

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Selden Ball

Selden Ball

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 05:10 AM

Exactly what model of preamp do you have? I'd like to look at a picture of its back panel to see what kind of power receptacle it has.

If its power receptacle is the standard IEC shape, it'll accept a standard 3wire power cord with no problems. If it's like the Marantz equipment that I have, the socket in the preamp has only two prongs (power and return) and does not have the ground pin. As a result, it'll get its power over the correct wires of a standard 3-wire power cord and the power cord's ground wire won't connect to anything -- which is fine.

p.s. I'm carefully not recommending that you connect the power cord's ground wire to anything at all. Two-wire consumer electronics equipment is designed not to be grounded.

Selden