What's new

No sound out of surrounds... (1 Viewer)

...while on Dolby PLIIx. I've tried it on movie, music, and game and nothing ever comes out. Digital works just fine but my cable service is analog so I need to use PLII. Sound comes out of the fronts and center just fine, but not the surrounds. Am I doing something wrong?

The receiver is an Insignia NS-R5101HD.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Unfortunately BB doesn't have the owners manuals available on-line so it makes it much harder for us to help.

Did you use the automatic setup feature the receiver offers?

Try switching the stereo analogs to a different input like the one labeled for cd players.

Some receivers allow for different speaker volumes for each input. Maybe the input you are using for the cable has the surround volume set to low.

This sounds like a setup issue so try starting the setup routine over again from scratch. I'm sure you don't want to do it all over again but sometimes you see things the second time around.

Like I said earlier, without the manual to look at we're wandering around in the dark .

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by gene c

Unfortunately BB doesn't have the owners manuals available on-line so it makes it much harder for us to help.
Actually, they do. You just have to go to the Insignia support site, not the Best Buy site. I'm just not seeing an obvious solution to the problem after glancing through it, and don't have time to go further in depth at the moment. Hopefully someone else will spot something I'm missing.

Regards,

Joe

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The only thing I can see is on pg 19.

Make sure the Surround Back speakers are set to "No" (strange for a 5.1 receiver).

Make sure the Speaker Button is set to "Off"

EDIT: That last line is in-correct. Make sure the Speaker button is set to "ON" othewise only Stereo can be selected.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
I know you said that digital works, but the surround speaker channels might be disabled.

Double check the speaker configuration settings in the receiver's menu
Setup menu, Speaker setup

Make sure the surround speaker channels are enabled:

SURR should be either LARGE or SMALL, and not NO.
SURR. BACK should be NO. (See pg 13 of the manual)

SURRound BACK speakers are only present in a 7.1 speaker configuration, which I assume you don't have.

Another possibility is that the audio really isn't properly surround-sound encoded by the time you get it. Does 5CH/7CH stereo mode work? It should duplicate the front channel audio in the surround channels whether or not the source is surround-sound encoded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks