Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

When will The Bride Of Frankenstein hit Blu Ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Deco King

Deco King

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted February 23 2010 - 02:02 PM

This year The Bride of Frankenstein will celebrate it's  75th Anniversary surely it's the year that Universal should commit this classic movie to the Blu Ray format or at the very least celebrate the 75th Anniversary with a brand new DVD release with a crisp new print???

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,041 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 23 2010 - 04:34 PM

I moved to the Blu-ray area.  Universal is not shy about doing re-releases.  Wolf Man just came out.  I'm sure there will be a 75th Anniversary release.  I doubt it will be on Blu-ray

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,487 posts

Posted February 25 2010 - 09:44 AM

My bet is that the elements available for most of the early classic horror films are in need of severe restoration before they will be fit for Blu-ray. The first two Frankensteins and Dracula have never looked especially good on DVD (although better than they've looked before). These are probably going to entail expensive and extensive work. I hope Universal decides it's worth it.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,143 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 25 2010 - 12:49 PM

lots of things to take in consideration for any of universals classic horror titles, because of the outstanding classic releases so far, the buying public would raise holy hell if these came out and were all jacked up. don't know what the state of the negatives are in, although there was a discussion not to long ago about a lavender print of Dracula that was supposedly in better shape. when these are released they are going to need a total work over, and dear god i hope that it isn't a DVNR mess, where things have no detail. second how do you market and release titled with a running time between 60 and 70 min and try to squeeze $29.00 out of it? see i know that this is one of the fall backs that universal has and they have no problem exploiting this group of films, but i am on my 3rd or 4th time buying most of this, and now i have 4 copies of universal horror doc with every legacy set. if they were to do these i think at this point i would rather have a time-line set, start with Dracula and work through to house of Dracula, put it in a box with slimline dual blu packaging, as for extras, everything that has come before needs ported over, but how about some more, a Lugosi doc, a Karloff doc, Chaney doc,  just some ideas, but i think before this happens we will see more 60's and 70's films, and possibly BTTF, Would like to see WB work on its big three from Hammer as well
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted February 25 2010 - 03:24 PM

Would love to see the Universal horror classic get the Lowry treatment.  Also, I am all in favor of Warner getting those Hammer titles out on Blu-ray.

Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Deco King

Deco King

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 02:06 PM

Possible good news regarding Bride on Blu Ray? The Turner Classic Movies Festival in Los Angeles is showing a print of The Bride of Frankenstein with a sterling new audio restoration perhaps this indicates a 75th Anniversary year Blu Ray/DVD release???

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   felipenor

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 02:53 PM

It would be great! I hope they do it.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   erix138

erix138

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 05 2010 - 12:30 PM

I've read in the past there is a superior print of BRIDE used by Universal for some festivals, something better than the release version on DVD. I'm surprised they've not put out a 75th anniversary release - seems like a natural in keeping with their legacy program.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Robbie S

Robbie S

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 12:43 PM

looks like 2012 may be looking up with the 100th anniversary of Universal

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 01:06 PM

If not the earlier classics, then why not The Wolfman and the Creature trilogy? I'm sure those would look stunning in HD.

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Craig Beam 

If not the earlier classics, then why not The Wolfman and the Creature trilogy? I'm sure those would look stunning in HD.

They probably are, they just id'ed Dracula, Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein as the ones getting full restorations. There has been some buzz of a box set for the Universal Monsters in the not too distant future, so maybe it will pan out that we'll get everything on blu. Just the big three are getting the full dog and pony show is all.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,381 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 06:16 AM

I hope they lavish a little love on Son of Frankenstein. The DVD of that is very contrasty without any shadow detail. It's sharp, indicating the film elements are good, but all the detail has been smeared over by the grain smoothing filters.

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,356 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 11 2012 - 08:30 AM

I like Son of Frankenstein, too. I haven't watched it in quite a while; seems like one of these free nights, I need to take it off the shelf and give it a spin.

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 12 2012 - 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dana martin 

If they were to do these i think at this point i would rather have a time-line set, start with Dracula and work through to house of Dracula, put it in a box with slimline dual blu packaging, as for extras, everything that has come before needs ported over, but how about some more, a Lugosi doc, a Karloff doc, Chaney doc,  just some ideas, but i think before this happens we will see more 60's and 70's films, and possibly BTTF,

This is one franchise set I'd jump on and be okay with shelling out $50 or $100.  It makes the most sense to do Dracula or Frankenstein as a complete set, considering the latter films might not sell well on their own.  Then Universal could break them out later on if they wanted to milk more out of the franchise (kinda like Paramouunt and Star Trek).

#15 of 25 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 12 2012 - 05:58 AM

The Wolf Man has always looked pretty good, so it probably doesn't need as much work as the other titles. The last dvd version looked really good.

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,685 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 06:04 PM

I can imagine a film like Frankenstein and Bride would really require work to make them good enough for blu. Or even higher def. As i read this thread, I was thinking of the market for these Universal monster series film. As a kid of the 1960's, I grew up with these films. Most of us here are obviously fans and will buy them. But is a kid of the recent decades going to be as thrilled by them? Aside from that, the last time I watched Frankenstein, I imagine now it wasn't as contrasty and clean as most of would demand. The last black and white film I saw on blu was The Day the Earth Stood Still and it looked fantastic. So I hope that's what the horror films will be like. But given their age and limits of technologies of the time, how good can the best elements be? I'd be curious, and what Mr. Harris might think.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,071 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 13 2012 - 01:02 AM

As a kid of the 1960's, I grew up with these films. Most of us here are obviously fans and will buy them. But is a kid of the recent decades going to be as thrilled by them?

I'm sure it's very few. Really that's no different than the bulk of kids of the 1950's who would have had no interest in silents from the 1920's though.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,685 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 03:06 AM

Well, that's certainly true Travis. :)

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted January 13 2012 - 03:20 AM

I find the 2nd tier of Universal monster movies a lot more fun, The Wolf Man, Son Of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, The Mummy sequels, even The House Of Frankenstein/Dracula, & the prints are in much better condiction than the classic stuff. All the Universal horror movies have been on Sky HD movies, how do they look? I don't have Sky HD or Sky movies.

#20 of 25 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 13 2012 - 03:44 AM

I could watch Frankenstein and Bride a thousand times each and never get tired of them. They are full of atmosphere. You can almost smell the old, dusty stages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users