What's new

When will The Bride Of Frankenstein hit Blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

Deco King

Grip
Real Name
Muir Peter Hewitt
This year[COLOR= #ff0000] The Bride of Frankenstein [/COLOR]will celebrate it's 75th Anniversary surely it's the year that Universal should commit this classic movie to the Blu Ray format or at the very least celebrate the 75th Anniversary with a brand new DVD release with a crisp new print???

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I moved to the Blu-ray area. Universal is not shy about doing re-releases. Wolf Man just came out. I'm sure there will be a 75th Anniversary release. I doubt it will be on Blu-ray

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My bet is that the elements available for most of the early classic horror films are in need of severe restoration before they will be fit for Blu-ray. The first two Frankensteins and Dracula have never looked especially good on DVD (although better than they've looked before). These are probably going to entail expensive and extensive work. I hope Universal decides it's worth it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
lots of things to take in consideration for any of universals classic horror titles, because of the outstanding classic releases so far, the buying public would raise holy hell if these came out and were all jacked up. don't know what the state of the negatives are in, although there was a discussion not to long ago about a lavender print of Dracula that was supposedly in better shape. when these are released they are going to need a total work over, and dear god i hope that it isn't a DVNR mess, where things have no detail.

second how do you market and release titled with a running time between 60 and 70 min and try to squeeze $29.00 out of it? see i know that this is one of the fall backs that universal has and they have no problem exploiting this group of films, but i am on my 3rd or 4th time buying most of this, and now i have 4 copies of universal horror doc with every legacy set.

if they were to do these i think at this point i would rather have a time-line set, start with Dracula and work through to house of Dracula, put it in a box with slimline dual blu packaging, as for extras, everything that has come before needs ported over, but how about some more, a Lugosi doc, a Karloff doc, Chaney doc, just some ideas, but i think before this happens we will see more 60's and 70's films, and possibly BTTF,

Would like to see WB work on its big three from Hammer as well

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Would love to see the Universal horror classic get the Lowry treatment. Also, I am all in favor of Warner getting those Hammer titles out on Blu-ray.

Deco King

Grip
Real Name
Muir Peter Hewitt
Possible good news regarding Bride on Blu Ray? The Turner Classic Movies Festival in Los Angeles is showing a print of The Bride of Frankenstein with a sterling new audio restoration perhaps this indicates a 75th Anniversary year Blu Ray/DVD release???

erix138

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
I've read in the past there is a superior print of BRIDE used by Universal for some festivals, something better than the release version on DVD.

I'm surprised they've not put out a 75th anniversary release - seems like a natural in keeping with their legacy program.

Robbie S

Auditioning
Real Name
Robbie S
looks like 2012 may be looking up with the 100th anniversary of Universal

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
If not the earlier classics, then why not The Wolfman and the Creature trilogy? I'm sure those would look stunning in HD.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Craig Beam

If not the earlier classics, then why not The Wolfman and the Creature trilogy? I'm sure those would look stunning in HD.

They probably are, they just id'ed Dracula, Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein as the ones getting full restorations. There has been some buzz of a box set for the Universal Monsters in the not too distant future, so maybe it will pan out that we'll get everything on blu. Just the big three are getting the full dog and pony show is all.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I hope they lavish a little love on Son of Frankenstein. The DVD of that is very contrasty without any shadow detail. It's sharp, indicating the film elements are good, but all the detail has been smeared over by the grain smoothing filters.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I like Son of Frankenstein, too. I haven't watched it in quite a while; seems like one of these free nights, I need to take it off the shelf and give it a spin.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by dana martin

If they were to do these i think at this point i would rather have a time-line set, start with Dracula and work through to house of Dracula, put it in a box with slimline dual blu packaging, as for extras, everything that has come before needs ported over, but how about some more, a Lugosi doc, a Karloff doc, Chaney doc, just some ideas, but i think before this happens we will see more 60's and 70's films, and possibly BTTF,

This is one franchise set I'd jump on and be okay with shelling out $50 or $100. It makes the most sense to do Dracula or Frankenstein as a complete set, considering the latter films might not sell well on their own. Then Universal could break them out later on if they wanted to milk more out of the franchise (kinda like Paramouunt and Star Trek).

The Wolf Man has always looked pretty good, so it probably doesn't need as much work as the other titles. The last dvd version looked really good.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can imagine a film like Frankenstein and Bride would really require work to make them good enough for blu. Or even higher def. As i read this thread, I was thinking of the market for these Universal monster series film. As a kid of the 1960's, I grew up with these films. Most of us here are obviously fans and will buy them. But is a kid of the recent decades going to be as thrilled by them? Aside from that, the last time I watched Frankenstein, I imagine now it wasn't as contrasty and clean as most of would demand. The last black and white film I saw on blu was The Day the Earth Stood Still and it looked fantastic. So I hope that's what the horror films will be like. But given their age and limits of technologies of the time, how good can the best elements be? I'd be curious, and what Mr. Harris might think.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
As a kid of the 1960's, I grew up with these films. Most of us here are obviously fans and will buy them. But is a kid of the recent decades going to be as thrilled by them?
I'm sure it's very few. Really that's no different than the bulk of kids of the 1950's who would have had no interest in silents from the 1920's though.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I find the 2nd tier of Universal monster movies a lot more fun, The Wolf Man, Son Of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, The Mummy sequels, even The House Of Frankenstein/Dracula, & the prints are in much better condiction than the classic stuff. All the Universal horror movies have been on Sky HD movies, how do they look? I don't have Sky HD or Sky movies.

I could watch Frankenstein and Bride a thousand times each and never get tired of them. They are full of atmosphere. You can almost smell the old, dusty stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks