-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What 3 TV Shows do you want most on Blu-ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 PianoPlayer

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 04:19 AM

To piggyback on the good discussion going about movies wanted on Blu-ray, how about TV shows?  Which three series are you most eager to see?

Mine:

1.  The Outer Limits (1960s version) -- The current DVDs are positively awful, with some of the poorest audio ever heard on any show released on home video.  Getting it restored for Blu-ray would greatly enhance these episodes.  (Since the original Twilight Zone reportedly is being prepped for Blu-ray next year ... here's hoping OL gets the same.)

2.  Lost in Space -- Again, no restoration work was done when this was put out on DVD.  Third season, in particular, looks atrocious.  Fox needs to restore all three seasons and release it on Blu.  (They've restored Irwin Allen's other series, so it's time for LIS.)

3.  Batman (1960s) -- I realize copyright entanglements may keep this from ever seeing the light of day.  But since it's yet to have any sort of official home video release, Blu-ray would be the way to go.  (Think what those vibrant colors would look like in HD ...)

#2 of 63 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,639 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 28 2009 - 06:53 AM

In alphabetical order, I'd say The Twilight Zone, The Wire and The X-Files (yes, I know that XF probably won't happen because it was edited on tape).

#3 of 63 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,238 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 07:29 AM

Lost In Space
Batman
The Munsters

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 63 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 07:48 AM

30 Rock*
Arrested Development
West Wing

*30 Rock not so much as i've PVR'd alot of them, but i could free up alot of space if they were on bluray

"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#5 of 63 gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 07:49 AM

1. THE AVENGERS
2. TWIN PEAKS
3. THE TWILIGHT ZONE

#6 of 63 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted November 28 2009 - 11:58 AM

Angel - I'd probably pick up early Buffy if they did this (it suffers from the same problems as SG-1 below), but where I think Buffy only went downhill after season 3, Angel only got stronger over its run.

Babylon 5 - assuming they didn't screw up the transfer again, of course; but if they were willing to do it right, I'd even take it with the effects as-is and only the live-action at high-def.

Stargate: SG-1/Atlantis -- even if early seasons didn't have their effects done in high-def, the MPEG-2 compression wasn't kind to the 16mm material, especially on discs with five episodes. (I'm cheating and combining these two given how much they cross over, and that I would have to think real hard about buying any Atlantis after the first season. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif)

There's others I'd like to see, but only one or two others that I'd also shell out for, and I don't expect to ever see them on Blu-ray (Deep Space Nine and Farscape).

"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#7 of 63 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted November 28 2009 - 12:55 PM

The Wire, The West Wing. I am waiting for BD mostly for space reasons.

Somebody mentioned 30 Rock. I will buy new seasons in BD as available (like The Office and South Park), but likely (so I say now...) won't go back and replace DVD. Look forward to them on BD.

Anything old shot on film or newer in HD is fair game for me. Preferably adventure or action/drama...not a lot more to "see" in comedy in HD, but with the decreasing DVD/BD price differential and the space issue might as well get BD. I've already got my biggie series (The Prisoner), so I'm coasting downhill for now.

Edit: I *really* wish I could have said Curb as my third choice, but you know why I didn't if you've seen the video... I will say Deadwood, it's on my "notify when available" list from amazon but I forgot...

#8 of 63 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,639 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 28 2009 - 02:46 PM

After reading some other responses, I'm going to cheat and add a fourth to my list: Twin Peaks.

#9 of 63 Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 04:01 AM

x-files /img/vbsmilies/htf/alien.gif

I've got my own Toto

#10 of 63 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 05:20 AM

Batman - The Animated Series
Twin Peaks
DuckTales

Now I'm beginning to wonder if the animated series actually used film. Does anyone know? Anyway, it would be nice to see them in a higher quality than they are on the dvds. And I'm actually waiting for Twin Peaks to arrive on Blu-ray so I can finally start watching the series.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#11 of 63 JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted November 29 2009 - 06:01 AM

1. Twin Peaks--the SD set is gorgeous, but HD will do wonders for David Lynch's photography and sound design.
2.  The Twilight Zone--again, the SD sets are fantastic, but the show will look even better in HD.
3. The Outer Limits--the SD sets are adequate, but it really would benefit greatly from an HD upgrade.

#12 of 63 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 29 2009 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst View Post

Batman - The Animated Series
Twin Peaks
DuckTales

Now I'm beginning to wonder if the animated series actually used film. Does anyone know? Anyway, it would be nice to see them in a higher quality than they are on the dvds. And I'm actually waiting for Twin Peaks to arrive on Blu-ray so I can finally start watching the series.
DuckTales was done on film, but the post-production was done on tape. The credits would have to be re-done in HD.

My list of what shows I want the most on Blu-Ray (having to narrow it down from lots of candidates, disqualifying anything shot on tape even though they could fit whole series on a few discs):

I Love Lucy (the 1080p masters and oodles of extras are already there, and 2011 is the show's 60th anniversary and Lucille Ball's centennial…hint hint, CBS/Paramount)
The Simpsons (with the 20th season coming to Blu-Ray, how about the actually good episodes from the 20th century, Fox?)
The Waltons (because the DVDs range from passable to terrible)

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#13 of 63 JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted November 29 2009 - 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post

In alphabetical order, I'd say The Twilight Zone, The Wire and The X-Files (yes, I know that XF probably won't happen because it was edited on tape).
It's funny that the X-Files producers had the foresight to frame later seasons for future HD broadcasts, but the show was edited on tape. I was hoping BD releases for this and my preferred Millennium would happen in the near future, but I guess that won't happen.  :(
 Would love to own The Wire on BD as well--one of the best series ever made!

#14 of 63 Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 07:43 PM

1.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2.  Angel

Everything else I really want is currently being released,  there's some stuff I would buy at some point but wouldn't be release day purchases so I won't list them.

#15 of 63 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,576 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted November 30 2009 - 12:40 AM

Deadwood
Enterprise
Boston Public

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#16 of 63 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlayer View Post
1.  The Outer Limits (1960s version) -- The current DVDs are positively awful, with some of the poorest audio ever heard on any show released on home video.  Getting it restored for Blu-ray would greatly enhance these episodes.  (Since the original Twilight Zone reportedly is being prepped for Blu-ray next year ... here's hoping OL gets the same.)

I vote for The Outer Limits, too.  I thought the DVDs looked and sounded pretty good, but they'd look much better on BD, w/ lossless 2.0 mono sound, subtitles, and I'd love to see some documentary material about the production of the series.

I don't have a 2nd and 3rd wish.  This is the only series I'm longing to see on BD.

Doug

#17 of 63 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 02:13 AM

Friday Night Lights
Deadwood
The Office (all seasons)

#18 of 63 Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 886 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 05:58 AM

if they did a real remaster job ,Miami Vice would look fantastic ,the first and second season were the best looking
TV show ever,with shows shot on location in Miami ,But I don't have any hope Universal would bother ,plus they
are 1:33:1

#19 of 63 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,122 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 30 2009 - 09:06 AM

1.33:1 shows should be 1.33:1. Period.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#20 of 63 ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA 

1.33:1 shows should be 1.33:1. Period.
Most cases, I agree. But there are some shows that were aired in 4:3 but composed for 16:9, like Babylon 5--there I think widescreen is the right way to go.

(Note how I say "composed" and not "protected"--this would leave Buffy as 4:3.)

"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody