What's new

SPHE - Bad Girls of Film Noir Vols 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Videoeta has 2 listings (with UPC numbers and February 2 release date) for Bad Girls of Film Noir Volume 1 and Bad Girls of Film Noir Volume 2. Each set contains 2 discs and list price is 24.95. Actual titles are not listed although I suspect they decided to break a recently rumored set into 2 volumes. That set was going to include:
Over-Exposed (1956)
Glass Wall, The (1953)
One Girl's Confession (1953)
Two of a Kind (1951)
Bad for Each Other (1953)
Killer That Stalked New York, The (1950)

If the decide to follow Screwball Comedies formula, each set should contain 4 titles.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh

Videoeta has 2 listings (with UPC numbers and February 2 release date) for Bad Girls of Film Noir Volume 1 and Bad Girls of Film Noir Volume 2. Each set contains 2 discs and list price is 24.95. Actual titles are not listed although I suspect they decided to break a recently rumored set into 2 volumes. That set was going to include:
Over-Exposed (1956)
Glass Wall, The (1953)
One Girl's Confession (1953)
Two of a Kind (1951)
Bad for Each Other (1953)
Killer That Stalked New York, The (1950)

If the decide to follow Screwball Comedies formula, each set should contain 4 titles.
[COLOR= #0000ff]You are correct, sir.

Mike S.
[/COLOR]

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh

Any clue what are other 2 titles will be included?
The "Cool Drinks of Water: Columbia's Noir Girls of the '40s and '50s" series featured 12 movies. I guess, the two missing movies are coming from the series as well and there's probably a chance, to get a Bad Girls of Noir Vol. 3 down the line later next year.

Looking forward to these two releases and with a February release date, an announcement will be made soon.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Other titles that were in the series:
Human Desire (1954)
My Name Is Julia Ross (1945)
Dark Past (1949)
Dangerous Blondes (1943)
Girls Under 21 (1940)

Island of Doomed Men (1940) (coming in Peter Lorre set)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
February seems like its going to be a stellar month for classic hollywood films. Make Way for Tommorrow, The Wolf Man Legacy Edition, Rita Hayworth Collection, Columbia Noir Collection 2, Bad Girls...

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Well if there are to be eight movies in total in the two Bad Girls sets then my vote would be for My Name is Julia Ross and Human Desire.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I really cannot wait for these releases and from a marketing standpoint I think that breaking up the sets is the best idea as it will keep the cost low and improve sales which is the most important factor as these classics, being the last vestige out there, need to be successful! I'll be buying them both on release day, and I can't wait for Noir Vol. 2 and the Rita Hayworth Collection either!

Has there been a release date of film listing for the Peter Lorre set as well?

What about a new date for the New Hollywood box??

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
The only three unreleased Lorre movies are: Crime and Punishment (1935), Island of Doomed Men (1940), The Face Behind the Mask (1941).
As far as I know these titles were mentioned during the 2007/8 (?) interview with Mr. Schlesinger as being in work. Don't know the current status but Crime and Punishment got released in France just one month ago by Sony.

I'm really excited to see what the new Columbia Classics site will feature. Hopefully some nice future announcements and hints and of course the Bad Girls will be pre-ordered the moment they're available at Amazon.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Movies Unlimited seems to have the specs for both volumes.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Sheila (Evelyn Keyes) was clever enough to smuggle diamonds into Manhattan from Cuba, but she's also "The Killer That Stalked New York" (1950) because she's carrying smallpox! Noir thriller co-stars Barry Kelley, Dorothy Malone. Two con artists plot to scam a couple by producing a double of their missing son, in "Two of a Kind" (1951). With Edmond O'Brien, Lizabeth Scott. Returning home to Pennsylvania from service in the Korean War, a doctor (Charlton Heston) falls under the spell of a lovely gal (Lizabeth Scott), but they're "Bad for Each Other" (1953). Co-stars Dianne Foster, Mildred Dunnock. Unless a "displaced person" from World War II can locate the soldier whose testimony can break down "The Glass Wall" (1953) keeping him from entering America, the man faces branding as a criminal fugitive. Vittorio Gassman, Gloria Grahame star. Soundtrack: English. Two-disc set.
Vol. 2

A "Night Editor" (1946) of a busy newspaper passes the time by relating the ripping crime yarn of a cop (William Gargan) whose affair with a beautiful woman (Janis Carter) gets complicated when they both witness a murder. With Jeff Donnell, Coulter Irwin. What's "One Girl's Confession" (1953) worth? A lot, when it's by a waitress (Cleo Adams) with a bead on $25,000. With Hugo Haas, Glenn Langan. The supervisor (Ida Lupino) of a "Women's Prison" (1955) uses her inadequacy with men as an excuse to torment her prisoners. Jan Sterling, Phyllis Thaxter co-star. An ambitious female photographer (Cleo Moore) gets seriously "Over-Exposed" (1956) after snapping a shot that eventually gets her in hot water with the mob. With Richard Crenna, Raymond Greenleaf. Soundtrack: English. Two-disc set.
Edit: They're available for pre-order at Amazon for approx. 18 bucks each. Pre-ordered mine already.

jsmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Miller
These look like two essential sets. I'll be pre-ordering mine, as well. I was hoping for Human Desire, My Name is Julia Ross and maybe even Screaming Mimi in these sets...guess I'll be praying they sell well and we'll get another volume with all three of these great Noirs.

BTW, fantastic price point for these sets. At Amazon's pre-order price, each film retails for only $4.37, about 22% of the cost of one MOD film noir from the WB Archive. Are you listening, Warner Bros.?!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The Killer That Stalked New York is a really brilliant budget noir making excellent use of the 50s NY Cityscape which swallows it's characters whole, It's always a kicker for me in films of this period; You rarely see much location shooting, but this one pulls you right into the roughshod cracks of the pavement as it rumbles along. I'm glad that many will finally be discovering it on DVD!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Sounds good, but I urge Sony to please consider the addition of bonus shorts/cartoons from their Columbia library as simple supplements to future collections.

The Katzman set (incl. Terror Face Magoo and Midnight Blunders) and The Golden Boy release were among of my all-time favorites for this very reason. They're cheap if no-cost at all and require very little other than accommodating the menu screen to play them back. Unlike other studios, the Columbia short film library is left virtually untapped, and even with 2-3 bonus shorts per set, it would offer a wealth of entertainment for classic film fans that are rarely seen. And in context, considering the amount of money and resources thrown into these films at a time when the studio was turning them out regularly for theater audience (to accompany their features as supplemented entertainment, like these releases) there can really be no substitute for the golden age studio short productions when compared to a 12 min. interview or whatever. These are part of the Columbia classic film library and deserve to be coupled with feature film releases, as they were when initially exhibited theatrically. Personally, I take more value from these vintage shorts than I do an 8 min. talking head interview of Scorsese's opinion which does nothing to affect my viewing of the film. Not that there can't be both. Please continue to devote a portion of future DVD productions to their inclusion!

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

Sounds good, but I urge Sony to please consider the addition of bonus shorts/cartoons from their Columbia library as simple supplements to future collections.

The Katzman set (incl. Terror Face Magoo and Midnight Blunders) and The Golden Boy release were among of my all-time favorites for this very reason. They're cheap if no-cost at all and require very little other than accommodating the menu screen to play them back. Unlike other studios, the Columbia short film library is left virtually untapped, and even with 2-3 bonus shorts per set, it would offer a wealth of entertainment for classic film fans that are rarely seen. And in context, considering the amount of money and resources thrown into these films at a time when the studio was turning them out regularly for theater audience (to accompany their features as supplemented entertainment, like these releases) there can really be no substitute for the golden age studio short productions when compared to a 12 min. interview or whatever. These are part of the Columbia classic film library and deserve to be coupled with feature film releases, as they were when initially exhibited theatrically. Personally, I take more value from these vintage shorts than I do an 8 min. talking head interview of Scorsese's opinion which does nothing to affect my viewing of the film. Not that there can't be both. Please continue to devote a portion of future DVD productions to their inclusion!
[COLOR= #0000ff]Believe me, we do all we can to include shorts. But there's only so much space available on a disc that already holds two features.

Mike S.[/COLOR]

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I already pre-ordered the two sets! And have some other friends that will get them too. I am still celebrating! Thanks, Sony!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by cadavra

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Believe me, we do all we can to include shorts. But there's only so much space available on a disc that already holds two features.

Mike S.[/COLOR]
Great to hear, Mike, and the studio is doing an ace job!

If disc space and compression are issues, then from this fan's personal pov, I'd take a bonus short/cartoon (aka additional classic Columbia film production) every and any time over a newly produced 12 minutes interview. I don't know if having Marty Scorsece chat for a few minutes on disc is beneficial to the studio as a marketing angle... but I'll gladly swap 'em all for extra golden age theatrical shorts! Let's preserve the history of the classic studio films and short productions whenever possible, as well as the original theatrical viewing experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks