-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Lucille Ball Specials

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 07:53 AM

I know future releases of "The Lucille Ball Specials" are not going to get coverage on tvshowsondvd.com. So I was wondering if anyone knew when the next one was going to be released. The first double feature was releasing this past July. Then, we had the first 2 seasons of "Here's Lucy" from MPI. But no further word on the next release of specials. I've heard it is supposed to be "Lucy Calls The President" and while MPI advertises all of the specials on the dvds, we haven't heard anything about release dates. Am I alone in wondering this?

#2 of 10 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,147 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 16 2009 - 09:42 AM

I imagine most of Desilu Too and MPI's efforts are on "Here's Lucy" right now.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#3 of 10 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 11:51 AM

Why won't TVShowsOnDVD.com cover The Lucille Ball Specials?

#4 of 10 Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 01:43 AM

It's considered to be separate from any of her series and not considered a sitcom in itself.

#5 of 10 Statskeeper

Statskeeper

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 08:02 AM

I would imagine the rarest Lucy special would be the one when she "moved" to NBC after years of her shows on CBS. That had to be in the late 70s or early 80s. That had to be the only thing she did for them, as "Life With Lucy" was on ABC. BTW "Lucy Calls The President" was the last time she worked with Vivian Vance so that would be a good one to release for all Lucy fans.

#6 of 10 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 08:09 AM

The website is devoted to TV Shows on DVD --- not just series, and not just sitcoms.  There's no reason why they won't talk about these Lucille Ball specials.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they already have.

#7 of 10 Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 02:39 PM

They did talk about the first release but only because of it's tie-in with "Here's Lucy". They made a disclaimer by saying this wasn't a series of releases they would follow in future news postings. Here is a quote:

Note that we won’t have ongoing coverage of those one-shot special releases, just like we didn’t cover the DVD for the documentary (we concentrate on episodic programs here, with exceptions only made for one-time telefilms IF they are directly related to a weekly program, such as a reunion special.)

#8 of 10 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 05:55 PM

OK, I didn't realize they only cover series.   I'm not sure why they reached that decision, but they must have their reasons.

#9 of 10 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted December 30 2011 - 12:56 AM

Amazon has a pre-order listing for LUCY MOVES TO NBC (1980), showing an MPI release date of March 20, 2012.

#10 of 10 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 925 posts

Posted December 30 2011 - 02:54 AM

While I loved LUCY CALLS THE PRESIDENT I can clearly remember watching LUCY MOVES TO NBC as a kid when it was first aired and I thought it was TERRIBLE at the time.  I can't imagine it's any better now as anything other than a curiosity item.  What a dud with Lucy basically just sitting there while NBC parades stars from their other sitcoms in and out trying DESPERATELY to create some interest in them (those were the notorious Fred Silverman years.)  I remember poor Lucy having to sit there and watch Gary Coleman go through some schtick and I thought "poor Lucy..."  I was TEN and though it unsophisticated and silly so what must it look like now?

shudder