What's new

The Lucille Ball Specials (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I know future releases of "The Lucille Ball Specials" are not going to get coverage on tvshowsondvd.com. So I was wondering if anyone knew when the next one was going to be released. The first double feature was releasing this past July. Then, we had the first 2 seasons of "Here's Lucy" from MPI. But no further word on the next release of specials. I've heard it is supposed to be "Lucy Calls The President" and while MPI advertises all of the specials on the dvds, we haven't heard anything about release dates. Am I alone in wondering this?

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
It's considered to be separate from any of her series and not considered a sitcom in itself.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
I would imagine the rarest Lucy special would be the one when she "moved" to NBC after years of her shows on CBS. That had to be in the late 70s or early 80s. That had to be the only thing she did for them, as "Life With Lucy" was on ABC. BTW "Lucy Calls The President" was the last time she worked with Vivian Vance so that would be a good one to release for all Lucy fans.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The website is devoted to TV Shows on DVD --- not just series, and not just sitcoms. There's no reason why they won't talk about these Lucille Ball specials. In fact, I'm pretty sure they already have.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
They did talk about the first release but only because of it's tie-in with "Here's Lucy". They made a disclaimer by saying this wasn't a series of releases they would follow in future news postings. Here is a quote: [SIZE= larger]Note that we won’t have ongoing coverage of those one-shot special releases, just like we didn’t cover the DVD for the documentary (we concentrate on episodic programs here, with exceptions only made for one-time telefilms IF they are directly related to a weekly program, such as a reunion special.)[/SIZE]

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
OK, I didn't realize they only cover series. I'm not sure why they reached that decision, but they must have their reasons.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Amazon has a pre-order listing for LUCY MOVES TO NBC (1980), showing an MPI release date of March 20, 2012.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
While I loved LUCY CALLS THE PRESIDENT I can clearly remember watching LUCY MOVES TO NBC as a kid when it was first aired and I thought it was TERRIBLE at the time. I can't imagine it's any better now as anything other than a curiosity item. What a dud with Lucy basically just sitting there while NBC parades stars from their other sitcoms in and out trying DESPERATELY to create some interest in them (those were the notorious Fred Silverman years.) I remember poor Lucy having to sit there and watch Gary Coleman go through some schtick and I thought "poor Lucy..." I was TEN and though it unsophisticated and silly so what must it look like now?

shudder

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks