Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Paramount Pre-1950 Films owned by Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 of 66 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 03 2009 - 12:44 PM

Most of the Universal stuff that has played on cable has looked and sounded pretty good to me. And I'm talking about films not on home video such as:
GREEN HELL
THE WEB
FLESH AND FANTASY
AIR MAIL
SAN DIEGO, I LOVE YOU
REMEMBER LAST NIGHT?
THE SUN NEVER SETS
THE RUNAROUND
THE SUSPECT

But every now and then (on TCM) a couple of Universal films that look and sound like old 16mm television prints show up.

The two I remember off hand are

FEUDIN', FUSSIN' and A-FIGHTIN'
WIVES UNDER SUSPICION

#42 of 66 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,157 posts

Posted October 03 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hoping this is not too much of a derailment, but as long as we're talking pre-'48 Paramount movies, I'll ask this question here:

I caught part of a movie on a TV station years ago that had the pre-48 Paramount package, and maybe some pre-48 WB's and RKO's too, but I'm very certain it was a Paramount movie. There was a musical number where one woman was singing in a nightclub while another did a ballet dance nearby, flanked by chorus girls in sour-faced masks. Eventually, the masked girls surround the main dancer, and when they disperse, she is on the floor wearing an identical mask to them. I've been googling all manner of permutations of B&W movie, masked dancers, etc, to no avail; there were suggestsions of DAMES and SHALL WE DANCE, but I know it's not them, and when I posed this to someone else, they suggested LADY IN THE DARK, but that's a color film.

Any hunches?

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#43 of 66 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted October 04 2009 - 12:50 PM

Mark, could it have been a black and white print of a color film?

The reason that the cut-off was '48, by the way, was because after that year, television distributors had to pay a portion of the profits towards SAG royalties.

-J. Theakston

#44 of 66 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 05 2009 - 05:49 PM

Has anyone heard any more news about the five Paramount Horror/Mystery titles that were to come out this month from Universal as an exclusive to TCM. 

We heard, we saw art work, then nothing.  Is this going to happen or not?  I think I will put my money on not.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#45 of 66 OFFLINE   Pete York

Pete York

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 08:35 PM

I have no idea, Allen, but this ad is running in the back of TCM's November Now Playing guide:

As you can see they're also advertising REMEMBER THE NIGHT, so whether these titles are going to happen or not, TCM has sort of put themselves out there certainly by promoting them.

#46 of 66 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 10:53 PM

Oh, I hope this does not mean Remember the Night will get a DVD-R edition, please!!!!!! This one really needs to released in a proper pressed disc edition!

#47 of 66 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 02:44 PM

why are we speculating dvd-r?

#48 of 66 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 03:00 PM

It would be great to get some other Mitchell Leisens out on dvd: ARISE, MY LOVE and HOLD BACK THE DAWN.  It was Sturges' objections to REMEMBER THE NIGHT and Wilder's objection to HOLD BACK THE DAWN that inspired them to become directors.  That said, Leisen was a terrific director and certainly TO EACH HIS OWN, KITTY, FRENCHMAN'S CREEK are also worthy of dvdship.  Would love to see-if possible--LADY IN THE DARK and DREAM GIRL from Universal.  Also-but less likely--THE MATING SEASON and NO MAN OF HER OWN from Paramount.  Certainly, many of Leisen's films could be brought out in the context of Criterion and Eclipse.
Charles Hoyt

#49 of 66 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal/30#post_3614320

why are we speculating dvd-r?

Yes, why ARE we - they could easily be doing limited pressing. :) 1000-2000 units :)

#50 of 66 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH. /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal/30#post_3613051

Hopefully the Deanna Durbin movies we haven't already gotten. That would be wonderful.
More Deanna Durbin would be most welcomed! Over the last year I have been seeing more of her movies and they are addicting! I wouldn't even mind another Sweetheart collection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal/30#post_3614031

Oh, I hope this does not mean Remember the Night will get a DVD-R edition, please!!!!!! This one really needs to released in a proper pressed disc edition!
I agree! This movie is terrific! I would think Barbara Stanwyck would sell.... she tends to have a following. A Christmas movie with the stars of Double Indemnity... could a holiday movie be any better? I think not! This movie needs a proper release!

Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#51 of 66 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 06 2009 - 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWilson /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal/30#post_3614337

Yes, why ARE we - they could easily be doing limited pressing. :) 1000-2000 units :)
I think the speculation is that the TCM RKO Lost Film series was DVD-r.  And since TCM is a part of Time Warner they could just be taking a cue from the Warner Archives.  I think more people expect these to be DVD-r than don't.  I would love to see these pressed, but I am not going to hold my breath.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#52 of 66 OFFLINE   BrianRi

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted October 07 2009 - 04:44 PM

I sent TCM an email a few days ago asking when a date for the Universal Cult Horror Collection would be announced, but have received no response yet. It would be nice to get a date, especially as Halloween is only three and a half weeks away.

#53 of 66 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,487 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 11:04 AM

The movies order through the TCM website come from Movies Unlimited. I know the TCM movie catalogue is from Movies Unlimited. So does Movies Unlimited have the exclusive deal to release these movies ?

On the TCM website under TCM Box Sets, and then under TCM Vault collection there is a notation saying Coming Soon: Warner Archives. Do you think this will just be the bundles already sold on the WB shop or new collections of the Archive movies and at what price ?
http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/boxsets/default.asp?shopref=Navigation%3ATCM+Box+Sets

#54 of 66 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 09 2009 - 11:07 AM

TCM uses Movies Unlimited as their agent. 

#55 of 66 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,487 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete York /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal/30#post_3614008

I have no idea, Allen, but this ad is running in the back of TCM's November Now Playing guide:

As you can see they're also advertising REMEMBER THE NIGHT, so whether these titles are going to happen or not, TCM has sort of put themselves out there certainly by promoting them.
There is no mention of "Remember The Night" on DVD on the TCM or Movies Unlimited sites as of today. Since this clearly is a Christmas movie, if it were coming, you would think there would be some mention of it by now. Perhaps it was planned and then they found out, due to the fire,  they didn't have good printing elements.

Sadly the TCM Vault collection is where the Lost RKO and Warner Archive films are listed which are all DVD-R. It seems likely that if "Remember The Night" was released, it would not be a pressed disc.

#56 of 66 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 09 2009 - 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal/30#post_3615596

TCM uses Movies Unlimited as their agent. 
I am going to clarify myself some.  TCM and Movie Unlimited have an agreement where DVD's sold through TCM website are handled (order, payment, shipping) by Movies Unlimited.  They both share in the income generated from the sales.  It is a perfect relationship that seems to work well.  Even now you can go direct to the Movies Unlimited site and order the Warner Archive titles and the Lost Films of RKO that TCM advertises.  When the Universal Horrors and Remember the Night are released then you will see it on the TCM and Movies Unlimited web sites. 

I do not think that the Universal Fire had anything to do with not hearing any news on either of the projects.  They never would have gone so far as obtaining the rights to release the films and advertise as coming without checking the source materials first.  What you will see are DVD-r discs with a high price point, even higher than the WA.  I suspect the price to be around $24.99 as the RKO films were and a price break for the horrors when bundled.

#57 of 66 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 24 2009 - 06:16 PM

Any more news about this beside the ad in the monthy TCM mag? 

#58 of 66 OFFLINE   reneerose

reneerose

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 04:09 AM

nothing new? really want a colbert second box set with arise my love and skylark; Men With Wings, Holden films, Road movies, Leisen box set, funny how Paramount films are like orphaned children...sad there isn't one sole distributor for pre-1948 catalog...don't have much patience....

#59 of 66 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,023 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 05:06 AM

nothing new? really want a colbert second box set with arise my love and skylark; Men With Wings, Holden films, Road movies, Leisen box set, funny how Paramount films are like orphaned children...sad there isn't one sole distributor for pre-1948 catalog...don't have much patience....

I watched the Spanish DVD of Arise My Love last week. It's a good DVD if you're multi-region. If you're not, then you're like those unlucky people in Casablanca. You "wait and wait and wait"

#60 of 66 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,023 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 05:06 AM

Duplicate post - please ignore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users